Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

thanks-- does anyone disagree?

Posted by alan k on 11/27/99 at 00:00 (013170)

Thanks so much, I was about to make a misake, though not as big as ordering my orthotics.

note: I do not impugn orthotics for others. I have structurally fine feet so maybe that's why orthotics don't do much for me.

my birks after two weeks have helped noticably

alan k

Re: thanks-- does anyone disagree?

john a on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013204)

I think I might disagree, or at least add some more information. Tatamis and Footprints (including Ontario, Tuscon, etc.) use metric sizing, at least in the length of the footbed itself. That is, a size 41 is _exactly_ 265 mm long, and a 42 is _exactly_ 270 mm long. I have both a 41 Rio Grande and a 41 Ontario. The footbeds are _exactly_ the same length, but the Rio Grande is a little wider at its widest point, maybe 1-2 mm. As for sizing your own feet, I think that you want the stressed (standing) length of your foot to be within 5 mm of the length of the birk footbed. For me, a 42 was definitely too big for me in the Rio Grande, but I'm still not quite sure about the 41 Ontario, which may be a little too narrow. I should be getting a 41 Monterey in a week of two to compare with. BTW, the only Birk 'speciality' store I went to was CLUELESS about sizing! Sheesh.

Re: thanks-- does anyone disagree?

john a on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013204)

I think I might disagree, or at least add some more information. Tatamis and Footprints (including Ontario, Tuscon, etc.) use metric sizing, at least in the length of the footbed itself. That is, a size 41 is _exactly_ 265 mm long, and a 42 is _exactly_ 270 mm long. I have both a 41 Rio Grande and a 41 Ontario. The footbeds are _exactly_ the same length, but the Rio Grande is a little wider at its widest point, maybe 1-2 mm. As for sizing your own feet, I think that you want the stressed (standing) length of your foot to be within 5 mm of the length of the birk footbed. For me, a 42 was definitely too big for me in the Rio Grande, but I'm still not quite sure about the 41 Ontario, which may be a little too narrow. I should be getting a 41 Monterey in a week of two to compare with. BTW, the only Birk 'speciality' store I went to was CLUELESS about sizing! Sheesh.