Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Those who have had MRI, did your results help treat you?

Posted by Jane B. on 11/27/99 at 00:00 (013175)

I am going to orthopedic Monday and thought I might ask for an MRI.
I was just wondering if anyone out there had results that have helped aid in treating your PF. I know an MRI of the feet is unusual. Any input towards this would be appreciated.

Re: Those who have had MRI, did your results help treat you?

jlcox on 11/28/99 at 00:00 (013184)

I am scheduled for an MRI 12/23 on both feet. As far as I know, MRIs will show ruptures and scar tissue, which can then be addressed surgically or in another way. FYI, Docs will not do an MRI to rule out PF. My question is, during the MRI what is the best position for the foot to be in in order to show any old ruptures, scar tissue...?
Keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

Melody on 11/28/99 at 00:00 (013186)

I have never had an MRI on my feet but have had 7 on my hand. The picture shows just about everything! It can pick up torn muscles and ligaments....as well as old breaks and current ones. Mine showed a huge scar on the radius which resulted from surgery 15 years ago. My hand was strapped into a padded shell so I could not move it at all. I presume this will happen to your feet too. I went in with my hand over my head so presumable you will go in feet first!

Just for reference - It is not an unpleasant experience but it is very very loud!!! i was in there for about 45 minutes and my head hurt by the end of it! After the first time I took a CD to be piped through to me which was better than the noise of the machine.

Also I could not wear anything metal during the scan. Worth remembering this when you are dressing for the scan!!!

I hope it helps you.

Mel

jlcox on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013211)

Thanks for the info re your MRI experience. It is very helpful

jlcox on 11/28/99 at 00:00 (013184)

I am scheduled for an MRI 12/23 on both feet. As far as I know, MRIs will show ruptures and scar tissue, which can then be addressed surgically or in another way. FYI, Docs will not do an MRI to rule out PF. My question is, during the MRI what is the best position for the foot to be in in order to show any old ruptures, scar tissue...?
Keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

Melody on 11/28/99 at 00:00 (013186)

I have never had an MRI on my feet but have had 7 on my hand. The picture shows just about everything! It can pick up torn muscles and ligaments....as well as old breaks and current ones. Mine showed a huge scar on the radius which resulted from surgery 15 years ago. My hand was strapped into a padded shell so I could not move it at all. I presume this will happen to your feet too. I went in with my hand over my head so presumable you will go in feet first!

Just for reference - It is not an unpleasant experience but it is very very loud!!! i was in there for about 45 minutes and my head hurt by the end of it! After the first time I took a CD to be piped through to me which was better than the noise of the machine.

Also I could not wear anything metal during the scan. Worth remembering this when you are dressing for the scan!!!

I hope it helps you.

Mel

jlcox on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013211)

Thanks for the info re your MRI experience. It is very helpful