Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

venting

Posted by steve L. on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013226)

I've been a silent observer of this site for the past couple of weeks. Thank you, Scott, for providing this wealth of info and the outlet for we afflicted to VENT! I'm about 9 years into this adventure, and I've tried every concievable outlet for relief.I'm 40 yrs. young and have probably brought about my own condition. Late teens through 20's were spent running long distances; teens through present backpacking and hiking in the Sierra; 30's through present in Karate, and all the while working in construction on my feet a minimum of 40 hours per week. I just kept thinking I was wearing the wrong shoes! (Spent a fortune on Red Wings and Wolverines.) About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with PF, and fitted with orthotics. Worked great for about a year, then regressed. I've seen several podiatrists, and have a different diagnoses from each. Tried all conservative approaches- night splints, cortozone, physical therapy, wrapping, et al, to no avail. Last may I went to Univ. Calif. San Francisco, Stanford Medical Group and had a 43% release of the fascia on each foot. I am typing this from my wheelchair, having regressed to this stage once again....
Life as I know it has come to a screeching halt, and is causing a level of stress and tension in my home that is unparalleled by any challenge we've had to date. It is very difficult watching my wife have to perform my duties, and though she tries to downplay its impact on her, there is no mistaking the resentment she sometimes feels. I empathize with all who suffer this invisable malady, and the emotional baggage that goes with it. It seems no amount of Vicodin, anti-inflamatories, and anti-depressants can counter the effects. Don't freak, I'm not about to swallow a .38 caliber aspirin; I'm well aware of the many blessings I enjoy in my life, and I'm not about to give up, but, man, what an adjustment this takes! My love for nature and desire for an avenue to express my creativity have led me to become a fairly well accomplished outdoor and nature photographer. Now I must seek out the photographic opportunities presented by our highway system. No such thing. My career is in the dumpster, and I have no idea what is around the next bend, but somehow I manage a slight grin, so I say to you recent sufferers of Plantar Fasciitis: 'Lighten up, keep your chin up, continue to explore new treatments, and never, never give up.' Thanks for tolerating my rant.
Steve

Re: venting

Robin B. on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013234)

I hate to say welcome to anyone new because I hate to see new people become afflicted -- but, welcome. My heart goes out to you. PF has genuinely influenced your entire life, and your wife's as well. There has been several discussions on this board about what an insidious little condition PF is -- not life-threatening, not contagious, not even visible or obvious -- but it can halt your life dead in its tracks and change just about every aspect of what you have built as a 'normal life.'

Your positive attitude and spirit, though, are impressive and they will get you through this. You will find many here who have changed careers to sitting-down careers, who have altered their lives and homes and activities around this condition. And you will find many who, like you, refuse to give up -- and also refuse to give in. Many of us put more attention on the 'living' aspects of life and try to pack in as much as we can (often from a sitting position). Anyway, Steve, welcome and good luck. You will find much support and understanding here.

Elise M. on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013236)

Keeping positive in spirit will get you through almost anything. Sounds like you still have it and a bit of a sense of humor. I was a very active nurse of 28 years, ran 2 miles a day (no big deal, but I still enjoyed it). I just passed the firefighters exam, passed my EMT exam and now I am also stopped in my tracks by this PF. I refuse to let it get me down. I enrolled in a E-911 dispatchers course slated for April. I am already certified in one state, will become certified in my new home (new state) Although my days of running, doing laps on a hospital floor, working on an ambulance or fighting fires are over, I can still be functional in public service as a 911 dispatcher. Find something you can do sitting and sit tight...
In the meantime, gain some strength and mental/emotional stability from this site, I know I have.

alan k on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013237)

At least with your years of experience, you can't be overwhelmed by the stories on this board. When I first got PF and knew it I soon found this board, but could not deal with what I found here. Later, after adjusting to my 'new life,' I returned to the board and found much helpful information that probably would have been good to know earlier, but I couldn't handle hearing about the chronic cases then.

It's funny how you can say to yourself, look, I've adjusted so well and I've got such a good attitude, etc. and then the next day suddenly be a psychological newbie all down and out.

I find the most helpful thing to me is just to think I am doing something. I am on the board 2-5 times a day, and constantly researching and trying various therapies. It makes me feel less helpless. Of course, that leads to spending lots of money on all kinds of 'remedies.' Like many people on the board, I suspect, my pee is extremely yellow.

Is there any patterns you have noticed that may contribute to your regressions? I am not regressing right now, but my wife, who has it less than me, is now getting worse and that is really worrying me. I feel sorry for her, not to mention that we have no children so there will be no one to wash our underpants.

alan k

Stuart B on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013287)

Hi Steve, when I first read your mail it shook me so much that I couldn't reply. Some of the things you are suffering are only things that I dreaded when I let my over active imagination think about the future. To find out that you have been dealing with these things makes me think that I too could be in a wheelchair in the future. BUT... there must be a way of dealing with this! People who have their whole legs blown off by land mines can learn to walk on plastic legs. Our legs are fine except the very last bit where it contacts the ground. It must be possible to contruct a clever device that grips the calf and takes the weight from the foot so that we can at lease get about. I am a designer and will try to track down people who know about this kind of thing - we don't have to take this sitting down!
My heart really goes out to you, it is weird really feeling for someone who I have never met and only type to. This must be a benefit of PF, the ability to be compassionate. All the best to you and your wife, mine has to put up with my hobbling and not being able to carry things too.

Steve L on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013424)

Haven't been back for several days, and am just getting around to reading the many kind words written by so many of you. Thanks!
Life is good! (Just nothing like it used to be.) All those numbing
substances of the '70's aren't an option any longer, so we have nothing but our positive attitudes to sustain us these days! Don't sneer at me guys, some days such a statement would make me puke, too.
Regardless, what choice have we? A bad attitude is as contagious as a good one, and alot more work. Alan, to answer your question, no; there seems to be no pattern to my current regression,just a result of attempting to resume a few light duties around the office and home.
Anyway, chins up, gang; you may not be able to find the entrance to the tunnel yet, let alone the light at the other side, but it's there none the less..... Steve

Doug P on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013584)

Steve:

Have you thought about getting the Ossatron treatment in Canada? Even people who have had the partial PF release have gone to get it, and I believe some have seen improvements. If you can afford it, it may be worth checking it out. I'm sure you've seen a lot of the posts on this site about it

Steve L. on 12/12/99 at 00:00 (013636)

Thinking about it, Doug, but I'll wait until my new orthosis and custom shoes are completed (another 7-10 days) before I commit. Thanks, Doug...
Steve

Robin B. on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013234)

I hate to say welcome to anyone new because I hate to see new people become afflicted -- but, welcome. My heart goes out to you. PF has genuinely influenced your entire life, and your wife's as well. There has been several discussions on this board about what an insidious little condition PF is -- not life-threatening, not contagious, not even visible or obvious -- but it can halt your life dead in its tracks and change just about every aspect of what you have built as a 'normal life.'

Your positive attitude and spirit, though, are impressive and they will get you through this. You will find many here who have changed careers to sitting-down careers, who have altered their lives and homes and activities around this condition. And you will find many who, like you, refuse to give up -- and also refuse to give in. Many of us put more attention on the 'living' aspects of life and try to pack in as much as we can (often from a sitting position). Anyway, Steve, welcome and good luck. You will find much support and understanding here.

Elise M. on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013236)

Keeping positive in spirit will get you through almost anything. Sounds like you still have it and a bit of a sense of humor. I was a very active nurse of 28 years, ran 2 miles a day (no big deal, but I still enjoyed it). I just passed the firefighters exam, passed my EMT exam and now I am also stopped in my tracks by this PF. I refuse to let it get me down. I enrolled in a E-911 dispatchers course slated for April. I am already certified in one state, will become certified in my new home (new state) Although my days of running, doing laps on a hospital floor, working on an ambulance or fighting fires are over, I can still be functional in public service as a 911 dispatcher. Find something you can do sitting and sit tight...
In the meantime, gain some strength and mental/emotional stability from this site, I know I have.

alan k on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013237)

At least with your years of experience, you can't be overwhelmed by the stories on this board. When I first got PF and knew it I soon found this board, but could not deal with what I found here. Later, after adjusting to my 'new life,' I returned to the board and found much helpful information that probably would have been good to know earlier, but I couldn't handle hearing about the chronic cases then.

It's funny how you can say to yourself, look, I've adjusted so well and I've got such a good attitude, etc. and then the next day suddenly be a psychological newbie all down and out.

I find the most helpful thing to me is just to think I am doing something. I am on the board 2-5 times a day, and constantly researching and trying various therapies. It makes me feel less helpless. Of course, that leads to spending lots of money on all kinds of 'remedies.' Like many people on the board, I suspect, my pee is extremely yellow.

Is there any patterns you have noticed that may contribute to your regressions? I am not regressing right now, but my wife, who has it less than me, is now getting worse and that is really worrying me. I feel sorry for her, not to mention that we have no children so there will be no one to wash our underpants.

alan k

Stuart B on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013287)

Hi Steve, when I first read your mail it shook me so much that I couldn't reply. Some of the things you are suffering are only things that I dreaded when I let my over active imagination think about the future. To find out that you have been dealing with these things makes me think that I too could be in a wheelchair in the future. BUT... there must be a way of dealing with this! People who have their whole legs blown off by land mines can learn to walk on plastic legs. Our legs are fine except the very last bit where it contacts the ground. It must be possible to contruct a clever device that grips the calf and takes the weight from the foot so that we can at lease get about. I am a designer and will try to track down people who know about this kind of thing - we don't have to take this sitting down!
My heart really goes out to you, it is weird really feeling for someone who I have never met and only type to. This must be a benefit of PF, the ability to be compassionate. All the best to you and your wife, mine has to put up with my hobbling and not being able to carry things too.

Steve L on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013424)

Haven't been back for several days, and am just getting around to reading the many kind words written by so many of you. Thanks!
Life is good! (Just nothing like it used to be.) All those numbing
substances of the '70's aren't an option any longer, so we have nothing but our positive attitudes to sustain us these days! Don't sneer at me guys, some days such a statement would make me puke, too.
Regardless, what choice have we? A bad attitude is as contagious as a good one, and alot more work. Alan, to answer your question, no; there seems to be no pattern to my current regression,just a result of attempting to resume a few light duties around the office and home.
Anyway, chins up, gang; you may not be able to find the entrance to the tunnel yet, let alone the light at the other side, but it's there none the less..... Steve

Doug P on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013584)

Steve:

Have you thought about getting the Ossatron treatment in Canada? Even people who have had the partial PF release have gone to get it, and I believe some have seen improvements. If you can afford it, it may be worth checking it out. I'm sure you've seen a lot of the posts on this site about it

Steve L. on 12/12/99 at 00:00 (013636)

Thinking about it, Doug, but I'll wait until my new orthosis and custom shoes are completed (another 7-10 days) before I commit. Thanks, Doug...
Steve