Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heat and PF

Posted by Elise M. on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013247)

After having had surgery on an unrelated issue, the physical therapist and doctors insist on icing an injury. This am out of sheer desperation I tried soaking my feet in hot water and taped them immediately out of the tub. I found this to relieve most of the pain for a few hours. When the discomfort returned, I un taped my foot, put arch support and sneakers back on and have had a fairly comfortable day for the first time in a long time. I am going to try this again tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks to all for the info and continuing encouragement. El.

Re: Heat and PF

Lee M on 12/01/99 at 00:00 (013260)

Elsie, I wasted months icing my foot, I had the same experience as you with the heat, my foot always feels better with heat. The PT did have me do alternate ice & heat baths, but I always insisted on finishing with heat. The heating pad helped my heel spur pain and I always feel like I get a better stretch after heat. Good luck and do what feels the best.

Elise M on 12/01/99 at 00:00 (013263)

Having been a nurse of some 28 years, I have learned that given the fact that we are all individuals, what works for one might not work for the other. And, I have learned that sometimes the individual is his/her own best physician. I have learned to listen to the patient, not just talk to them. They have a wealth of knowledge regarding their own body that you can only guess at. The best way to help ones self is to take all the professional knowledge and add it to what works best for your self. AND, NEVER, NEVER GET DISCOURAGED !

Lee M on 12/01/99 at 00:00 (013260)

Elsie, I wasted months icing my foot, I had the same experience as you with the heat, my foot always feels better with heat. The PT did have me do alternate ice & heat baths, but I always insisted on finishing with heat. The heating pad helped my heel spur pain and I always feel like I get a better stretch after heat. Good luck and do what feels the best.

Elise M on 12/01/99 at 00:00 (013263)

Having been a nurse of some 28 years, I have learned that given the fact that we are all individuals, what works for one might not work for the other. And, I have learned that sometimes the individual is his/her own best physician. I have learned to listen to the patient, not just talk to them. They have a wealth of knowledge regarding their own body that you can only guess at. The best way to help ones self is to take all the professional knowledge and add it to what works best for your self. AND, NEVER, NEVER GET DISCOURAGED !