Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Not blaming them but a little compassion would help!

Posted by Marti C on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013289)

I have tried both types of drs. didnt have much luck with either. Im sure there are some good drs. out there you just have to becareful. Yes I agree that we cant blame it all on the medical proff. for not being able to help us because they are not sure what to do. At the same time I dont agree with drs. just 'doing something' to try and make me feel better. I had one surgeon tell me because I was crying in his office, that I just needed to take an anti-depressant and I would feel better.Im sorry, but I dont think thats going to help the pain in my feet. He also told me that he could try casting my feet, but all that would get me would be sympathy. He said I dont believe it helps at all! I said no thank you and never went back. Yes this web site has been the biggest help and a lot more compassion than Ive ever found in the drs. office!

Re: Not blaming them but a little compassion would help!

Elise M. on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013297)

Dear Marti,
Compassion is something you have, it's not something you get going to nursing/medical school. I have been a nurse for a long time and there just doesn't seem to be any compassion since medicine went from being a profession into just another job. You can thank the insurances for that transition. When a Dr. doesn't know what to do for you, they'll try anything, just like we will. If you need support, sympathy/compassion....you've come to the right place coming here. I've met some really helpful people free of charge and their advise has helped me far beyond what medicine could ever offer. And in keeping with the true spirit of comradery, I hope you feel better. I have good days and bad days. But knowing I can come here and get a glimmer of hope makes my bad days not so bad. RSVP..... El

Melody on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013305)

Marti,

That is awful!!! I am so glad you never went back there. I had a psychologis tell me once that I should feel sorry for my hand surgeon because he was upset that he could not help cure my hand problem!! She thought I was wrong to be angry about being in pain. Yeah..I feel sorry for the doctors who can't help us...but nowhere near as sorry as I feel for all of us!!!!

Caroline

rekha.s on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013321)

I agree, I have noticed that as soon as I start getting teary eyed in any dr's office this past year, all of the sudden instead of Pf, I am suppose to be either a hypochondriac or manic depressant.....

I understand the doctor is there to help find relief/cure of the ailment, but just because we display emotions in the office out of desperation, doesnt mean our pain/condition is not legitimate! This ailment has caused such anguish, nothing like I have experienced before. This is by far the worst thing I have had to deal with! Yet my podiatrist is very cold, and thinks I am overreacting.

Elise M. on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013324)

Dear Rehka,
It's just like anything else, unless you've experienced it, you really can't appreciate the depth of it. I remember when I took care of patients who had different surgeries done, one in particular, that I could never understand how these patients could be in such pain, UNTIL I had to have it done. I ate all my negative comments a thousand times over and over again. If you need support, don't expect a doctor who has never had the pain to understand the pain. Come to this website and talk to the people who have the experience to back up their compassion/understanding. Feel better.....El

Elise M. on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013297)

Dear Marti,
Compassion is something you have, it's not something you get going to nursing/medical school. I have been a nurse for a long time and there just doesn't seem to be any compassion since medicine went from being a profession into just another job. You can thank the insurances for that transition. When a Dr. doesn't know what to do for you, they'll try anything, just like we will. If you need support, sympathy/compassion....you've come to the right place coming here. I've met some really helpful people free of charge and their advise has helped me far beyond what medicine could ever offer. And in keeping with the true spirit of comradery, I hope you feel better. I have good days and bad days. But knowing I can come here and get a glimmer of hope makes my bad days not so bad. RSVP..... El

Melody on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013305)

Marti,

That is awful!!! I am so glad you never went back there. I had a psychologis tell me once that I should feel sorry for my hand surgeon because he was upset that he could not help cure my hand problem!! She thought I was wrong to be angry about being in pain. Yeah..I feel sorry for the doctors who can't help us...but nowhere near as sorry as I feel for all of us!!!!

Caroline

rekha.s on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013321)

I agree, I have noticed that as soon as I start getting teary eyed in any dr's office this past year, all of the sudden instead of Pf, I am suppose to be either a hypochondriac or manic depressant.....

I understand the doctor is there to help find relief/cure of the ailment, but just because we display emotions in the office out of desperation, doesnt mean our pain/condition is not legitimate! This ailment has caused such anguish, nothing like I have experienced before. This is by far the worst thing I have had to deal with! Yet my podiatrist is very cold, and thinks I am overreacting.

Elise M. on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013324)

Dear Rehka,
It's just like anything else, unless you've experienced it, you really can't appreciate the depth of it. I remember when I took care of patients who had different surgeries done, one in particular, that I could never understand how these patients could be in such pain, UNTIL I had to have it done. I ate all my negative comments a thousand times over and over again. If you need support, don't expect a doctor who has never had the pain to understand the pain. Come to this website and talk to the people who have the experience to back up their compassion/understanding. Feel better.....El