Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

when will I learn?

Posted by Annette G on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013306)

well I did it again, the moment my foot feels a tiney bit better I go out and sneak in a little run( around once a week) and when ever I do that, my foot is killing me! well I managed to sneak 2 in last week with a big price of pain to pay, and I tried it again yesterday, leaving me hardly able to walk, and today is not much better. I just have to STOP, this is the hardest thing to do, much harder than I ever expected,I was even believing that I would be healed in time for the boston marathon, but now I am realizing that there is no way I will be able to run. This really bites. I have decided that I will not run anymore, it makes no sense to do it if I am going to be in this much pain, it would be foolish and I have been a big fool. Is there anyone else out there having a tuff time facing the facts that they can not run or continue doing what they love most? how do you deal with it? Thanks for letting me vent.
Annette
Annette

Re: when will I learn?

Elise M. on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013308)

Dear Annette,
I sympathize with your position. I too, used to run, not marathons unless you consider the 29 years I spent as a nurse doing laps on a hospital floor.I was running only 2 miles a day, not much but I really enjoyed it. Now, I have days when I can only limp to the bathroom 5 feet from my bed. Nursing is out of the question for me now. I passed the Firefighters exam and the EMT exam as I had aspirations of changing careers. I watched all my dreams go down the drain with this condition. Yet, I remain undaunted. I recently applied to become a Public Safety Dispatcher( E-911) a public servant position but with a whole lot less activity. Just find something you like that you can do sitting and enjoy it. Above all, don't give up...and continue with the support you get from the PF website. RSVP El.

Re: when will I learn? long

Marti C on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013315)

Hi Annette,
Ive always love to exercise, had to quit 2 yrs. ago. My goal each day is to be able to cook, do a fwe things around the house and take care of my children. Things have really changed, I used to be 'super mom' or so I thought, I taught aerobics, walked 6miles a day and took care of three small children. I would venture to say thats what got me where Iam today. My children and husband are pretty understanding most of the time,I also have other family members who are very supportive. What gets me through now? Alot of praying, family and this web site!!!! Iam actually starting to have less pain, since visiting this web site and trying different things. Everyone here has been so helpful.The one thing a certain person in my life keeps telling me is not to push, be patient and give new things time to work. Very hard, because Im not a patient person but learning to be. Hang in there and when you start to feel better you may be able to do some time of exercise, but very very slowly.

Marti U on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013317)

Thank you!

Stuart B on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013323)

Swim! Visit totalimmersion.net for inspiration. I have become quite good and wil start competing soon. Best of luck from an ex: runner, climber, hiker, cyclist!!

Rick R on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013325)

Annette,

I in no way wish to down play the loss you are experiencing, but clinging on to running could cause you to lose much more. I was in the 30+ mile per week mode when this thing snuck up and bit me. I had to quit cold turkey 6 April 1984. Thank God I'm a desk jockey and did not have to make a major career change as others have. With the right treatment and techniques that this site can lead you to, you could be up and running again at some point.

What precautions did you take when you tried to run? Did you tape up? I have described my taping technique a few times and would be glad to offer any additional details to you. I can't walk much at all barefoot, or stand still, or wear hard dress shoes,.... but I ran 125 miles in November ( taped up). I have finaly made it through an entire year without a major set-back. I can't do the distance or pace I used to but at least it's something (by the way I stay on the balls of my feet). I have no delusions of being able to do a marathon. If I had access to the right information I could have prevented much of the damage and been back in action many years sooner. I think there is a good reason to be optimitsic for the long range, but also good reason to be cautious in the short run. Best of luck.

Rick

Lee H on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013328)

I can understand how you are feeling. Everyday I look at my tread mill and life cycle and it makes me want to cry. Just this morning I asked my husband if he thought I would ever be able to use them again. Nice days come and go without getting out there in the fresh air to do a few miles. I too snuck in a work out when I was having a good day and I learned my lesson the hard way. I think many on this board have. You need to keep in mind that if you stay off of it now that will increase your chances of the marathon for next year. Many don't understand what it is like for those of us who are 'excercise junkies'. We need to keep going for both our physical and mental well being, when we can no longer do it, then it's a huge adjustment. It's almost like we have to find a way to fill the void that it left. Support and understanding of friends and family and on a board like this is helpful along with the hope that this is only temporary and we can go back to our life style soon. Do some strenghth training to work out your stresses. Keep a positive attitude and soon you will be running again.

john h on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013329)

i have done the same thing annette about 5 times. i guess i just have to realize that biking or something other than running or walking is not longer a part of my daily life.

john h on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013330)

there is certainly a common thread for all that responded to this post and that all were very active people. finding a replacement for exercise for exercise junkies is a task i have not mastered.

Carol on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013333)

I know of someone who owns a running shoe store that had PF so bad he was crawling on his hands and knees to get around. The Podiatrist told him he had done everything for him just short of surgery. He decided to try acupuncture. It took him 14 visits and he is back to doing the love of his life, marathon running. I'm not personnally ready to spend that kind of money yet but if all else fails, I will try it too. What a beautiful fall we have had and here I sit and watch my husband go out and run!!! Cycling indoors has kept me sane.

rosemaryb on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013335)

I too have had pf all fall. I didn't realize until visiting this site that the injury is so common. I have been swimming and biking, have seen a trainer and a doctor and yet the pain gets worse. I teach school so it is impossible for me to stay off my feet. By the end of the day, I feel like crying. I am very worried that I will never be able to run again. Any encouraging advice?

alan k on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013341)

Get aggressive about the conservative treatments you can find out about on this website. Get to work on it right away or you will be very sorry later. Ice after exertion, heat to get started in the morning, stretches, etc.-- at least.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee

You are lucky to have the chance to get started on this so early.

Elise M. on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013308)

Dear Annette,
I sympathize with your position. I too, used to run, not marathons unless you consider the 29 years I spent as a nurse doing laps on a hospital floor.I was running only 2 miles a day, not much but I really enjoyed it. Now, I have days when I can only limp to the bathroom 5 feet from my bed. Nursing is out of the question for me now. I passed the Firefighters exam and the EMT exam as I had aspirations of changing careers. I watched all my dreams go down the drain with this condition. Yet, I remain undaunted. I recently applied to become a Public Safety Dispatcher( E-911) a public servant position but with a whole lot less activity. Just find something you like that you can do sitting and enjoy it. Above all, don't give up...and continue with the support you get from the PF website. RSVP El.

Marti C on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013315)

Hi Annette,
Ive always love to exercise, had to quit 2 yrs. ago. My goal each day is to be able to cook, do a fwe things around the house and take care of my children. Things have really changed, I used to be 'super mom' or so I thought, I taught aerobics, walked 6miles a day and took care of three small children. I would venture to say thats what got me where Iam today. My children and husband are pretty understanding most of the time,I also have other family members who are very supportive. What gets me through now? Alot of praying, family and this web site!!!! Iam actually starting to have less pain, since visiting this web site and trying different things. Everyone here has been so helpful.The one thing a certain person in my life keeps telling me is not to push, be patient and give new things time to work. Very hard, because Im not a patient person but learning to be. Hang in there and when you start to feel better you may be able to do some time of exercise, but very very slowly.

Marti U on 12/02/99 at 00:00 (013317)

Thank you!

Stuart B on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013323)

Swim! Visit totalimmersion.net for inspiration. I have become quite good and wil start competing soon. Best of luck from an ex: runner, climber, hiker, cyclist!!

Rick R on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013325)

Annette,

I in no way wish to down play the loss you are experiencing, but clinging on to running could cause you to lose much more. I was in the 30+ mile per week mode when this thing snuck up and bit me. I had to quit cold turkey 6 April 1984. Thank God I'm a desk jockey and did not have to make a major career change as others have. With the right treatment and techniques that this site can lead you to, you could be up and running again at some point.

What precautions did you take when you tried to run? Did you tape up? I have described my taping technique a few times and would be glad to offer any additional details to you. I can't walk much at all barefoot, or stand still, or wear hard dress shoes,.... but I ran 125 miles in November ( taped up). I have finaly made it through an entire year without a major set-back. I can't do the distance or pace I used to but at least it's something (by the way I stay on the balls of my feet). I have no delusions of being able to do a marathon. If I had access to the right information I could have prevented much of the damage and been back in action many years sooner. I think there is a good reason to be optimitsic for the long range, but also good reason to be cautious in the short run. Best of luck.

Rick

Lee H on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013328)

I can understand how you are feeling. Everyday I look at my tread mill and life cycle and it makes me want to cry. Just this morning I asked my husband if he thought I would ever be able to use them again. Nice days come and go without getting out there in the fresh air to do a few miles. I too snuck in a work out when I was having a good day and I learned my lesson the hard way. I think many on this board have. You need to keep in mind that if you stay off of it now that will increase your chances of the marathon for next year. Many don't understand what it is like for those of us who are 'excercise junkies'. We need to keep going for both our physical and mental well being, when we can no longer do it, then it's a huge adjustment. It's almost like we have to find a way to fill the void that it left. Support and understanding of friends and family and on a board like this is helpful along with the hope that this is only temporary and we can go back to our life style soon. Do some strenghth training to work out your stresses. Keep a positive attitude and soon you will be running again.

john h on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013329)

i have done the same thing annette about 5 times. i guess i just have to realize that biking or something other than running or walking is not longer a part of my daily life.

john h on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013330)

there is certainly a common thread for all that responded to this post and that all were very active people. finding a replacement for exercise for exercise junkies is a task i have not mastered.

Carol on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013333)

I know of someone who owns a running shoe store that had PF so bad he was crawling on his hands and knees to get around. The Podiatrist told him he had done everything for him just short of surgery. He decided to try acupuncture. It took him 14 visits and he is back to doing the love of his life, marathon running. I'm not personnally ready to spend that kind of money yet but if all else fails, I will try it too. What a beautiful fall we have had and here I sit and watch my husband go out and run!!! Cycling indoors has kept me sane.

rosemaryb on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013335)

I too have had pf all fall. I didn't realize until visiting this site that the injury is so common. I have been swimming and biking, have seen a trainer and a doctor and yet the pain gets worse. I teach school so it is impossible for me to stay off my feet. By the end of the day, I feel like crying. I am very worried that I will never be able to run again. Any encouraging advice?

alan k on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013341)

Get aggressive about the conservative treatments you can find out about on this website. Get to work on it right away or you will be very sorry later. Ice after exertion, heat to get started in the morning, stretches, etc.-- at least.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee

You are lucky to have the chance to get started on this so early.