Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ice/heat

Posted by john h on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013338)

i think 90% of us would agree that ice makes our feet feel better. when you freeze the skin you obviously numb away the pain but i wonder are we really helping our feet? you use ice to reduce swelling but i wonder how many of us really have swelling on our feet or heels. blood is the nourishment that aids in healing and more blood is brought to a specific area by heat. we have all been taught to ice an injury for approximately 48 hours and then apply heat. the fascia (i think) does not get a big supply of blood anyway and by iceing we further reduce the blood supply. these are just random thoughts of mine and when my feet hurt tomorrow i will probably apply ice but the question still remains.

Re: ice/heat

michael s on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013339)

John, I think ice vs. heat is an old debate that has no definite answer. Your question if bound to bring more replies than you might want, but perhaps no great answer. I've had good physiotherapists shrug their shoulders at the question and basically say, 'whatever you prefer.' I've also been told that icing does bring blood to an injured area - supposedly a large rush of blood (more than could be produced by heat) floods into the area once the ice is removed. Lately, with the ART and shockwave therapies I've been trying, some good discussions with the people working on my feet have helped me think of pf as two things. First, a problem of inflammation/pain, that can and should be relieved with ice. Second, a problem of thick and stiff muscle (fascia) tissue, than can and should be warmed (and then stretched) each morning,so that less inflammation will occur as the day goes.So for what it's worth,this is what I'm trying right now.

Elise M. on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013342)

Hello,
I am a new PF sufferer, having only been afflicted since June. Thank God for this website. I've gotten more info here than I ever could've gotten from numerous visits to a podiatrist/orthopedist or anyone else. As for me, I tried the icing; it only hurt worse after. Contrary to popular belief, everyone is an individual and you have to do what makes you feel relief. For me, I found that heat was the key to pain control. I make sure I heat them up well before getting out of bed and immediately go to a hot bath. I tape on really bad days, use my arch supports, but only till they hurt then I remove them and I'm good for a whole day now. I also take antiinflammatories at bedtime and extra strength Tylenol as needed during the day. As for shoes, I only have two pairs that allow me to move all day and they're not expensive. I have a low cut Reebok (they're soft and pliable) and some hiking sneaker called Hi Tec( they fit all the bulk associated with taping and arch supports).
My deepest appreciation to all who enter here and offer their words of advice and encouragement to get us all through a malady that only we can understand. El.

michael s on 12/03/99 at 00:00 (013339)

John, I think ice vs. heat is an old debate that has no definite answer. Your question if bound to bring more replies than you might want, but perhaps no great answer. I've had good physiotherapists shrug their shoulders at the question and basically say, 'whatever you prefer.' I've also been told that icing does bring blood to an injured area - supposedly a large rush of blood (more than could be produced by heat) floods into the area once the ice is removed. Lately, with the ART and shockwave therapies I've been trying, some good discussions with the people working on my feet have helped me think of pf as two things. First, a problem of inflammation/pain, that can and should be relieved with ice. Second, a problem of thick and stiff muscle (fascia) tissue, than can and should be warmed (and then stretched) each morning,so that less inflammation will occur as the day goes.So for what it's worth,this is what I'm trying right now.

Elise M. on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013342)

Hello,
I am a new PF sufferer, having only been afflicted since June. Thank God for this website. I've gotten more info here than I ever could've gotten from numerous visits to a podiatrist/orthopedist or anyone else. As for me, I tried the icing; it only hurt worse after. Contrary to popular belief, everyone is an individual and you have to do what makes you feel relief. For me, I found that heat was the key to pain control. I make sure I heat them up well before getting out of bed and immediately go to a hot bath. I tape on really bad days, use my arch supports, but only till they hurt then I remove them and I'm good for a whole day now. I also take antiinflammatories at bedtime and extra strength Tylenol as needed during the day. As for shoes, I only have two pairs that allow me to move all day and they're not expensive. I have a low cut Reebok (they're soft and pliable) and some hiking sneaker called Hi Tec( they fit all the bulk associated with taping and arch supports).
My deepest appreciation to all who enter here and offer their words of advice and encouragement to get us all through a malady that only we can understand. El.