Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

still no diagnosis and getting very depressed

Posted by jlcox on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013343)

Saw my first neurologist yesterday. He said he has no idea what's causing my foot pain but he ruled out RSD (I don't have enough of the symptoms). He ordered an EMG (my first EMG was 12 months ago-it was negative) to rule out TTS but said he really doesn't think I have TTS or any other neurological problem.

I have an MRI scheduled at the end of December. If it comes back negative I don't know what I'll do. My life has become a treadmill of running from one doctor to another searching, to no avail, for a diagnosis. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope and ready for a nervous breakdown.

Thanks for listening. This board is the only place I can turn to for understanding.

Re: still no diagnosis and getting very depressed

Lee H on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013347)

I can understand your frustration. I too have been to many doctors in search for answers. After each appointment you just want to sit down and cry. What are your symptoms? What kind of pain in you feet? I was just diagnosed with RSD but I'm not sure I agree with that diagnosis. Every Dr. just seems puzzled. Good luck to you.

Doug P on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013353)

What is RSD?

jlcox on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013355)

Hi Lee,
My symptoms started 5 yrs ago (acute onset) and are atypical for PF. No morning pain but pain that gets worse as the day goes on. I can stand/walk for 10 or 15 minutes at the most before I have to sit down. My pain started bilaterally in the arch area--not the heels. The pain also traveled up the inside of my legs. Its like all the flexor muscles/tendons are shot. After some way-to-vigorous achilles stretches on stairs last year I did develop a burning pain in the heels. I also have a metatarsalgia kind of pain in the metatarsal heads. My pain is so bad that I have to ride a scooter at work. I work in a large hospital--what irony. Last time I saw my orthopod I told him my feet were still really painful and he said 'well, you get around in your scooter okay, don't you?' I flat out wanted to deck that little fuck.

jlcox on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013356)

do a search for reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome or RSDS on this site or on the web.

Jane B. on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013717)

Is there a college of podiatric medicine in your area? It might be worth a try to see a doctor there. They are the teachers of the trade.
I am going to go to one. Just a thought.. Good luck

Lee H on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013347)

I can understand your frustration. I too have been to many doctors in search for answers. After each appointment you just want to sit down and cry. What are your symptoms? What kind of pain in you feet? I was just diagnosed with RSD but I'm not sure I agree with that diagnosis. Every Dr. just seems puzzled. Good luck to you.

Doug P on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013353)

What is RSD?

jlcox on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013355)

Hi Lee,
My symptoms started 5 yrs ago (acute onset) and are atypical for PF. No morning pain but pain that gets worse as the day goes on. I can stand/walk for 10 or 15 minutes at the most before I have to sit down. My pain started bilaterally in the arch area--not the heels. The pain also traveled up the inside of my legs. Its like all the flexor muscles/tendons are shot. After some way-to-vigorous achilles stretches on stairs last year I did develop a burning pain in the heels. I also have a metatarsalgia kind of pain in the metatarsal heads. My pain is so bad that I have to ride a scooter at work. I work in a large hospital--what irony. Last time I saw my orthopod I told him my feet were still really painful and he said 'well, you get around in your scooter okay, don't you?' I flat out wanted to deck that little fuck.

jlcox on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013356)

do a search for reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome or RSDS on this site or on the web.

Jane B. on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013717)

Is there a college of podiatric medicine in your area? It might be worth a try to see a doctor there. They are the teachers of the trade.
I am going to go to one. Just a thought.. Good luck