Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I month of Active Release Therapy

Posted by Doug P on 12/04/99 at 00:00 (013354)

I have had PF (or what I think is PF) for four years. I am 27 years old. My symptoms are atypical in that I don't have the pain in my heel but is is more diffuse across the bottom of most of the foot. I have it in both feet. I started seeing a Chiropractor who practices Active Release Therapy a month ago. Janet on this website suggested this and much thanks to her!! I've been seeing the Chiro three times a week.

ART is basically deep massage but the patient also does some of the work. For example, on my feet, she will apply a lot of pressure to the bottoms of my feet, stroking up toward my heel. I will also point my toe and then dorsiflex my foot as far as it will go. She also works on my calf muscles and other parts of my leg.
ART is suppposed to break up 'adhesions' or scar tissue and I can feel her ripping through the scar tissue in my feet.

The results have been positive but I am uncertain as to whether they will stick. As long as I have had this condition, I could probably walk about two or three blocks before it started to hurt. Since I started getting the ART, I have gone on walks as long as 12 or 15 blocks which is a great improvement. We feet just feel looser down there. However I have good days and bad days. Some days my feet feel like they are back to their old selves. I'm not sure why this is.

My concern is that this process is only a temporary fix, and if I stop seeing her, I'll go right back to the way I was. Has anyone else had similar experiences? I've run the gamut of all the standard therapies and none of them have helped.

Please if anyone has had similar experiences, please post

Re: I month of Active Release Therapy

janet on 12/05/99 at 00:00 (013370)

Hi Doug,

I'm glad the ART is having a positive effect. Hope it keeps working. Unfortunately, it was not a cure for me. Like you, I noticed a definite loosening in my muscles and my gait was more normal, however I still have as much foot pain as ever. I'm going in for an MRI this month. I have a feeling it will reveal old tears that didn't heal right. FYI, I've been posting under my email moniker lately--jlcox.

Re: I month of Active Release Therapy

janet on 12/05/99 at 00:00 (013370)

Hi Doug,

I'm glad the ART is having a positive effect. Hope it keeps working. Unfortunately, it was not a cure for me. Like you, I noticed a definite loosening in my muscles and my gait was more normal, however I still have as much foot pain as ever. I'm going in for an MRI this month. I have a feeling it will reveal old tears that didn't heal right. FYI, I've been posting under my email moniker lately--jlcox.