Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

No help plantar faciitis

Posted by Mary J. on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013384)

I have had plantar faciitis in my left foot for almost 4 years, or so I thought. My son has had PF for longer than I, but he ordered an orthotic thru the mail which basicly has a big bump under the fascia. It works great for him, and he has never been to a doctor. I think my daughter has PF also because she wears a 'magic' shoe from the store. If she goes barefooted or wears another shoe, her heel hurts. I also have a brother who wears orthotics successfully I have been to 3 podiatrists and 2 orthopedists and none of the usual treatments have helped. I went for 3 weeks of physical therapy, and quit after 2 weeks because it hurt more than it helped. In addition, I have had a nagative MRI and Bonescan. The first orthopedist began to think I didn't have PF because he could feel no pain spots. Under the facia was very sensitive, and I had no heelspur and no pain at all on the facia. The heel hurt in the typical PF spot, but I also have pain under the facia when walking. He sent me to his associate who found a sensitive posterior tobias tendon which is just above the arch. I believe it was sensitive because of the therapy pain. He gave me Cellebrex and told me to come back in 6 weeks. The only thing that helps is ice for the pain and heat at other times. I wear sports shoes with orthotics in them about 10 minutes before it hurts. At home, I wear soft rubber thongs around the house with a 3/4 orthotic velcroed to them. They hurt the least. Does anyone know the correct way to wear a night splint? Does your leg have to be straight for it to work?

Re: No help plantar faciitis

john h on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013391)

i have read the night splints should be in the neutral or perhaps 10 degree dorsiflexion position (foot up so as to have a slight stretch on fascia). many night splints are adjustable as to number of degrees you can adjust.

Penny G on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013415)

Dear Mary J. I too have had pf for several years and yes it is hereditary and a royal pain in the butt. I am a hairdresser and I am on my feet 10 hrs a day and then I have to come home and start the second shift as a wife and mother, I found a pair of shoes called Anywears and they are great. They are also rubber but they come with a instep already in them that can be taken out and used in other shoes. They have helped more than any tennisshoes I have tried and I will get another pair as soon as the supply lady comes. They cost around $40. and they look like clogs and they go well with most clothes. They can be found at Anywears.com they have pictures and ordering info.. try them they worked for me Good luck Penny

john h on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013391)

i have read the night splints should be in the neutral or perhaps 10 degree dorsiflexion position (foot up so as to have a slight stretch on fascia). many night splints are adjustable as to number of degrees you can adjust.

Penny G on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013415)

Dear Mary J. I too have had pf for several years and yes it is hereditary and a royal pain in the butt. I am a hairdresser and I am on my feet 10 hrs a day and then I have to come home and start the second shift as a wife and mother, I found a pair of shoes called Anywears and they are great. They are also rubber but they come with a instep already in them that can be taken out and used in other shoes. They have helped more than any tennisshoes I have tried and I will get another pair as soon as the supply lady comes. They cost around $40. and they look like clogs and they go well with most clothes. They can be found at Anywears.com they have pictures and ordering info.. try them they worked for me Good luck Penny