Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

You can heal up!

Posted by LJM on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013387)

I continue to read the posts and forum to keep myself well aware of everyone's progress as well as to jar my mind to being careful with my feet. PF and the ensuing heel spurs altered my life. I had never been so active before, only to be knocked down several levels to nearly being totally defeated by some condition that suddenly I had. I tried everything short of surgery and I believe that all things I tried to clear my PF did contribute somewhat to the healing process I am going through now. The one thing that I believe has helped the most and makes the most logical sense is to rest. Rest your feet. Keep off your feet. Whether you can afford to do so or not, is not the question. You have one set of feet for your lifetime. Rest them now so you can use them as you see fit in 1, 5, 10, or 30 years. Without taking time off of your feet, they will never have a chance to fully and completely recover. I say this as I reflect on last year at this time - when I had been on crutches for 2 months - long enough to develop PF in the other foot... I can't afford to backtrack to where I was .. so have learned that whenever i can, i rest my feet - to store up energy and preserve a healthy foot for my future. Good luck to all of you. It's a huge huge struggle, but one you can combat and defeat. Take care -

LJM

Re: You can heal up!

john h on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013390)

LJM i think your post or 'rest as much as possible' makes as much sense as anything.

Dan W on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013410)

You, are so correct. The pain is telling us to get the weight off our feet! It is the only thing that makes sense. With all the things that our doctors give us to be able to continue the slow and painful road to our total disability, it is a wonder that more people are not up in arms over the constant proding of our respected employers who push us, along with the doctors, who insist that it isnt that bad and all you need is this magic shot, night splint, anti-inflamatories, maybe a cast or two, and perhaps another shot. They simply dont tell the truth about this condition(disability), hoping that their magic wands will make it go away, and that youll beleive it. When in fact, if you continue what it is that is causing the pain in the first place (job,injury,exercise,whatever), it will only get worse. The truth is if we dont get off our feet and stay off our feet, that we only get worse and will never heal.

Becky R. on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013418)

I agree that you will not heal unless you are off your feet. Knowing the physiology of this disease only maked sense that you need to rest your feet. Being up on them only re-injures them. That is all great but when you make your living up on your feet (I am a nurse) that makes it even more difficult. I have been off work for 5 weeks and may never at this point, be back as a staff nurse. Just can't stand the pain. I am looking at other options.
Thanks, Becky

rekha.s on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013434)

I agree that staying off your feet is the best thing. I wish I had left my job sooner. I walked a lot on my job which worsened my pain. by the end of the day I was limping around, which caused my other foot to develop pf. Not once did my podiatrist tell me to rest, he just gave me cortizone shots. I left my job in April and found this site-which I am sooooo thankful for....I visit this site at least 5x a day!!!

Marie S. on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013578)

I took a week off work just to stay off my feet. I work in a doctors office in a lab. I really can't take any more time off or I will lose my job. I can't tell the week off has helped much, in fact, I think I have developed sciatica from sitting so much.

Dan W on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013587)

Nothing is as important as your feet. I was fired from my job, went on disability while I also declared it as workers compensation because if your job contributes to your injury or makes it worse, you are entitled to benefits. This might sound scarry to you but a whole lifetime of pain and disability is a lot scarrier. Check it out, workers have rights, disabled even more so. Dont be afraid there is something that will help the pain and it is called total bed rest, for months even years. Good luck

john h on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013390)

LJM i think your post or 'rest as much as possible' makes as much sense as anything.

Dan W on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013410)

You, are so correct. The pain is telling us to get the weight off our feet! It is the only thing that makes sense. With all the things that our doctors give us to be able to continue the slow and painful road to our total disability, it is a wonder that more people are not up in arms over the constant proding of our respected employers who push us, along with the doctors, who insist that it isnt that bad and all you need is this magic shot, night splint, anti-inflamatories, maybe a cast or two, and perhaps another shot. They simply dont tell the truth about this condition(disability), hoping that their magic wands will make it go away, and that youll beleive it. When in fact, if you continue what it is that is causing the pain in the first place (job,injury,exercise,whatever), it will only get worse. The truth is if we dont get off our feet and stay off our feet, that we only get worse and will never heal.

Becky R. on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013418)

I agree that you will not heal unless you are off your feet. Knowing the physiology of this disease only maked sense that you need to rest your feet. Being up on them only re-injures them. That is all great but when you make your living up on your feet (I am a nurse) that makes it even more difficult. I have been off work for 5 weeks and may never at this point, be back as a staff nurse. Just can't stand the pain. I am looking at other options.
Thanks, Becky

rekha.s on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013434)

I agree that staying off your feet is the best thing. I wish I had left my job sooner. I walked a lot on my job which worsened my pain. by the end of the day I was limping around, which caused my other foot to develop pf. Not once did my podiatrist tell me to rest, he just gave me cortizone shots. I left my job in April and found this site-which I am sooooo thankful for....I visit this site at least 5x a day!!!

Marie S. on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013578)

I took a week off work just to stay off my feet. I work in a doctors office in a lab. I really can't take any more time off or I will lose my job. I can't tell the week off has helped much, in fact, I think I have developed sciatica from sitting so much.

Dan W on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013587)

Nothing is as important as your feet. I was fired from my job, went on disability while I also declared it as workers compensation because if your job contributes to your injury or makes it worse, you are entitled to benefits. This might sound scarry to you but a whole lifetime of pain and disability is a lot scarrier. Check it out, workers have rights, disabled even more so. Dont be afraid there is something that will help the pain and it is called total bed rest, for months even years. Good luck