Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Differing groups of PF suffers

Posted by AndreaB on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013413)

I have been reading the board lately and have been noticing a lot more posts from 'non-traditional' PF suffers than in the past(no a.m. stiffness, pain mostly when standing but not necesarrily walking etc.) Awhile back Scott had asked if we wanted to be broken down into groups by our symptoms--did anything ever come of this?

Re: Differing groups of PF suffers

Rick R on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013442)

Andrea,

I think you have a very good point. We have a multitude of differing symptoms and a multitude of differing treatment alternatives to choose from. I am concerned that we may be chasing our tails a bit here as we claim success with specific treatments. Those treatments may well be more appropriate for individuals that fit in some general category similar to the one that has seen improvement, than they would for some other group. Worse yet, something might be beneficial for one group and harmful for another. The other random thought that popped into my head (ouch) is that we are being rather unscientific in our approach. When we mercifully achieve some relief we tend to attribute that relief to the manipulation of some variable, and then through the best of intentions share that 'cure' with the rest of the class. All of these have one thing in common, time. It could be that for some this thing just has to run it's course. If we happen to be doing something in particular around that time, it is natural to think that that something is relevant, and it's noble to share that opinion for the benefit of others. I think with a database matching the characteristics of symptoms, relevent personal and lifestyle data, along with observed results of treatments, we may take a step closer to nailing this thing, or these things down. Those coinsdential observations should have a random effect compared to any significant ones. Sounds like an opportunity for PHD thesis. Sorry to ramble but you struck a chord!!

Dan W on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013481)

Instead of different groups, how about setting up different support groups in different cities? I know that I would be the first to go to a support group in northern California. To get to know others with this condition would, no doubt lessen the stress level of this injury/disability. We could share ideas and relate to the other persons pain, much like we do on this board, without having to type it out! Just a thought.

Janet on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013484)

Dan, I like your idea. I would be grateful for the chance to sit down (haha) with a bunch of like-suffering folks and share information. I would also be happy to contribute my time to make this happen.

Dan W on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013496)

Dear Janet, thanks for the reply, I also would give some time getting a support group together. Just to share our experiances and relate one on one. There are many support groups for many things, but if there ever was a group that was needed most, it would be for this disability. I think that part of the pain from this affliction, has to do with the total isolation, and helplessness. Not being able to explain the pain even to the doctors is a hopeless feeling. Not to mention not being able to walk. Devastating. So now that the vicoden has kicked in, and I've depressed you. Maybe one day there will be somewhere we can all go to visit with each other in person. I live in northern Calif. is there anyone from this area that would like to form some support group?

janet on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013505)

Hey Dan,

I'd love to join your group but I live in the midwest. Anyone in SEMichigan or Northern Ohio interested in getting together for sharing info and emotional support?

Re: Differing groups of PF suffersRE Dan W

Laurie R on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013516)

Hi Dan I also live in Northeren CA. I would love to get a group together I mean I would like to help someome eles .Someone eles on the board said they also live out this way.Let me know my podiatrist just gave me other 5 weeks off so I have the time .thanks we need something.Laurie R

Dan W on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013526)

Hi Laurie, this is Dan, I live in Sacramento, right in the middle of Calif.. Where are you? I was surprised to get a response, and definately am interested in getting together to visit if its not to far away from me.

Laurie R on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013530)

Hi Dan I live in Hayward .Do you know where that is ? If not it is by Oakland.So you and I are about 2 hours away .Not bad.I would love to talk.Let me konw .Any other people in this area .Plaese let us know maybe we can meet half way.PLEASE POST if you are interested!!!!!!! Laurie R

Dan W on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013586)

Laurie, Im not sure that my old truck will make it that far but it might make it to vacaville if thats not to far for you. I would be excited to meet face to face.

Rick R on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013442)

Andrea,

I think you have a very good point. We have a multitude of differing symptoms and a multitude of differing treatment alternatives to choose from. I am concerned that we may be chasing our tails a bit here as we claim success with specific treatments. Those treatments may well be more appropriate for individuals that fit in some general category similar to the one that has seen improvement, than they would for some other group. Worse yet, something might be beneficial for one group and harmful for another. The other random thought that popped into my head (ouch) is that we are being rather unscientific in our approach. When we mercifully achieve some relief we tend to attribute that relief to the manipulation of some variable, and then through the best of intentions share that 'cure' with the rest of the class. All of these have one thing in common, time. It could be that for some this thing just has to run it's course. If we happen to be doing something in particular around that time, it is natural to think that that something is relevant, and it's noble to share that opinion for the benefit of others. I think with a database matching the characteristics of symptoms, relevent personal and lifestyle data, along with observed results of treatments, we may take a step closer to nailing this thing, or these things down. Those coinsdential observations should have a random effect compared to any significant ones. Sounds like an opportunity for PHD thesis. Sorry to ramble but you struck a chord!!

Dan W on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013481)

Instead of different groups, how about setting up different support groups in different cities? I know that I would be the first to go to a support group in northern California. To get to know others with this condition would, no doubt lessen the stress level of this injury/disability. We could share ideas and relate to the other persons pain, much like we do on this board, without having to type it out! Just a thought.

Janet on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013484)

Dan, I like your idea. I would be grateful for the chance to sit down (haha) with a bunch of like-suffering folks and share information. I would also be happy to contribute my time to make this happen.

Dan W on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013496)

Dear Janet, thanks for the reply, I also would give some time getting a support group together. Just to share our experiances and relate one on one. There are many support groups for many things, but if there ever was a group that was needed most, it would be for this disability. I think that part of the pain from this affliction, has to do with the total isolation, and helplessness. Not being able to explain the pain even to the doctors is a hopeless feeling. Not to mention not being able to walk. Devastating. So now that the vicoden has kicked in, and I've depressed you. Maybe one day there will be somewhere we can all go to visit with each other in person. I live in northern Calif. is there anyone from this area that would like to form some support group?

janet on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013505)

Hey Dan,

I'd love to join your group but I live in the midwest. Anyone in SEMichigan or Northern Ohio interested in getting together for sharing info and emotional support?

Laurie R on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013516)

Hi Dan I also live in Northeren CA. I would love to get a group together I mean I would like to help someome eles .Someone eles on the board said they also live out this way.Let me know my podiatrist just gave me other 5 weeks off so I have the time .thanks we need something.Laurie R

Dan W on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013526)

Hi Laurie, this is Dan, I live in Sacramento, right in the middle of Calif.. Where are you? I was surprised to get a response, and definately am interested in getting together to visit if its not to far away from me.

Laurie R on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013530)

Hi Dan I live in Hayward .Do you know where that is ? If not it is by Oakland.So you and I are about 2 hours away .Not bad.I would love to talk.Let me konw .Any other people in this area .Plaese let us know maybe we can meet half way.PLEASE POST if you are interested!!!!!!! Laurie R

Dan W on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013586)

Laurie, Im not sure that my old truck will make it that far but it might make it to vacaville if thats not to far for you. I would be excited to meet face to face.