Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Custom orthotics really helped anyone?

Posted by Becky R. on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013419)

I read this message board daily. Have bilateral P.F. since August. So far, nothing has helped. I have tried everything except night splints and custom orthotics. My doctors is recommending both. After seeing so many posts that orthotics have not helped, I am reluctant to spend $300 for orthotics. Has custom orthotics or night splints really helped anyone or is this just a waste of money?
Thanks,
Becky R.

Re: Custom orthotics really helped anyone?

michael s on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013421)

Becky, there seem to be plenty of people who post on this website who are not fond of custom orthotics, but they are absolutely the only thing that have helped me. I have a friend as well whose pf is not very painful at all since she started wearing orthotics. I still have a lot of pain and discomfort, but in the twelve years I've had this miserable ailment nothing has helped as much as my inserts. Without them I think I would have to be in a wheelchair. If you get them be prepared to be patient and let your podiatrist play around with them (altering the height of the arch, putting extra padding on the heel, etc.). I also tried many different kinds over the years.Best of luck to you

Karen K on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013422)

Try them. If you are reluctant due to cost try the cheaper one first. You may find a lot of posts here of people complaining neither night splints or custom orthotics worked for them but, keep in mind that's why we keep posting on this site. Many posts are from people with the toughest cases of PF. When people ask about my feet they say quite often that they knew of someone who had it but now they wear orthotics and they're fine. They are expensive but you should try them ASAP. The longer you wait the worse off you may be.
Best of luck and happy holidays!
Karen

Rod M on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013460)

Yeah they seem to have helped my in a lot of respects. After breaking them in they dont even seem to be there now and make my feet feel more 'normal' - whatever that is !!!.

I find that if I leave them off for too long i sometimes get the pain back. As I dont wear shoes at home I have got some Birks which mean that I am getting almost full time support except for in bed.

I am a fan of my othotics and had a very good Orthotist fit them and offer to adjust them whenever I felt it necessary, but thank heavens havent needed to.

john h on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013485)

night splint: maybe custom orthotics: no

michael s on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013421)

Becky, there seem to be plenty of people who post on this website who are not fond of custom orthotics, but they are absolutely the only thing that have helped me. I have a friend as well whose pf is not very painful at all since she started wearing orthotics. I still have a lot of pain and discomfort, but in the twelve years I've had this miserable ailment nothing has helped as much as my inserts. Without them I think I would have to be in a wheelchair. If you get them be prepared to be patient and let your podiatrist play around with them (altering the height of the arch, putting extra padding on the heel, etc.). I also tried many different kinds over the years.Best of luck to you

Karen K on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013422)

Try them. If you are reluctant due to cost try the cheaper one first. You may find a lot of posts here of people complaining neither night splints or custom orthotics worked for them but, keep in mind that's why we keep posting on this site. Many posts are from people with the toughest cases of PF. When people ask about my feet they say quite often that they knew of someone who had it but now they wear orthotics and they're fine. They are expensive but you should try them ASAP. The longer you wait the worse off you may be.
Best of luck and happy holidays!
Karen

Rod M on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013460)

Yeah they seem to have helped my in a lot of respects. After breaking them in they dont even seem to be there now and make my feet feel more 'normal' - whatever that is !!!.

I find that if I leave them off for too long i sometimes get the pain back. As I dont wear shoes at home I have got some Birks which mean that I am getting almost full time support except for in bed.

I am a fan of my othotics and had a very good Orthotist fit them and offer to adjust them whenever I felt it necessary, but thank heavens havent needed to.

john h on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013485)

night splint: maybe custom orthotics: no