Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes, shoes, shoes?? Need advice on Anywears, Birks??

Posted by Becky R. on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013420)

I have noticed that some of you recommend Anywears - do these shoes have a good arch support? Also, I tried the Birks in the Milano style. It was SOOOO hard and I felt like I could barely walk in them. I took them back and ordered some others - Nebraska that have a softer sole, more flexible. Anyone tried these or the waterproof sandals with the molded footbed? I thought maybe one of these styles might be easier to break into/ I also tried the Aasics Gel Foundation - supposed to be good for pronation. So far, my feet are still sore. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Becky

Re: Shoes, shoes, shoes?? Need advice on Anywears, Birks??

terri p on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013427)

Becky,

I've been using Asics gel running shoes and they have been great. I've been on crutches for a month now and it is starting to take it's toll on the old pair - especially on my supporting foot. I think once you break the shoe, it'll mold right in. Basically, I've been satisfied with my pair of Asics gel.

However, I've recently purchased Ryka's which have an incredible heel and arch support. I do have to break them in still though, but the fit is great. However, from what I've learned from dance, once I've found a good pair of shoes, it's advisable to purchase two pairs and alternate the two for longer wear. As for Birks, I have recently ordered two pairs to try them myself so I still have to break them in I guess.

From what I've observed at the site and pretty much anywhere, most people stick to a specific brand - the search sometimes seems endless, but once found, loyalty is hard to break......I fell in love with a pair of Eccos - but that was after I've spent money on two pairs of Birks and two pairs of Ryka's......stay tuned, I'll have an update in a couple of weeks, who knows maybe sooner : )

Good luck on the shoe advise!

Marti C on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013431)

Ive been in Birks almost 2 weeks now. I have the Arizonas, they take a long time to break in but are actually starting to feel good they have a great arch support. I just recieved my Anywears, today have only had them on a couple of hours but they feel pretty good. I purchased mine for only wearing in the house. They come with an insert you can use, I dont think the arch is high enough for me but like I said I will only being wearing them in place of house slippers. I will let you know later how they really feel. Good Luck!

Jenny L on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013436)

Hi Becky

I have Milano sandals, and yes they took a while to get used to. Very comfortable to wear, but I couldn't walk down the road in them. So I carried them around with me, changed into them at work. Probably my arm muscles have developed as a result of all this as they are not lightweight! But once I got used to them they were fine. I still keep them in the office even though winter is here, and plod around in them on milder days when the closed Birks make my feet feel somewhat tropical. They must be great in very cold weather! Central heating from the ankles down.

jl

john a on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013445)

If birks feel too hard for you, you should try the 'soft footbed' style of birks. Someone else on this board raved about them, and the rest of us couldn't believe they actually existed! But they do! I now have a pair of soft footbed Montereys that I got for 36 euros (including shipping: sloooow shipping that is, since mine took 33 days to get to me! but the box arrived unscathed) from http://www.birkenstock-cn.com , which is based in Germany, the Birkenstock motherland. I can now whole-heartedly recommend this site. As I've said before, their prices are UNREAL, and their service (in the form of timely email responses) is commendable. I only wish I found their site before I spent $300 on two other pairs of birks :(

lindaH on 12/12/99 at 00:00 (013625)

I spent over $400 in the last month trying to get the perfect shoes. I got Air Nike with Powerstep Inserts and they are OK, Dansko clogs and a pair of Ecco shoes that I wear to work. But, the shoe by far that has eliminated my pain I mean NONE in the morning if I put them on first, is a wool felt 'grizzly clog' by Haflinger. The best site for good price is http://www.woodscove.com Good Luck!

terri p on 12/06/99 at 00:00 (013427)

Becky,

I've been using Asics gel running shoes and they have been great. I've been on crutches for a month now and it is starting to take it's toll on the old pair - especially on my supporting foot. I think once you break the shoe, it'll mold right in. Basically, I've been satisfied with my pair of Asics gel.

However, I've recently purchased Ryka's which have an incredible heel and arch support. I do have to break them in still though, but the fit is great. However, from what I've learned from dance, once I've found a good pair of shoes, it's advisable to purchase two pairs and alternate the two for longer wear. As for Birks, I have recently ordered two pairs to try them myself so I still have to break them in I guess.

From what I've observed at the site and pretty much anywhere, most people stick to a specific brand - the search sometimes seems endless, but once found, loyalty is hard to break......I fell in love with a pair of Eccos - but that was after I've spent money on two pairs of Birks and two pairs of Ryka's......stay tuned, I'll have an update in a couple of weeks, who knows maybe sooner : )

Good luck on the shoe advise!

Marti C on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013431)

Ive been in Birks almost 2 weeks now. I have the Arizonas, they take a long time to break in but are actually starting to feel good they have a great arch support. I just recieved my Anywears, today have only had them on a couple of hours but they feel pretty good. I purchased mine for only wearing in the house. They come with an insert you can use, I dont think the arch is high enough for me but like I said I will only being wearing them in place of house slippers. I will let you know later how they really feel. Good Luck!

Jenny L on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013436)

Hi Becky

I have Milano sandals, and yes they took a while to get used to. Very comfortable to wear, but I couldn't walk down the road in them. So I carried them around with me, changed into them at work. Probably my arm muscles have developed as a result of all this as they are not lightweight! But once I got used to them they were fine. I still keep them in the office even though winter is here, and plod around in them on milder days when the closed Birks make my feet feel somewhat tropical. They must be great in very cold weather! Central heating from the ankles down.

jl

john a on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013445)

If birks feel too hard for you, you should try the 'soft footbed' style of birks. Someone else on this board raved about them, and the rest of us couldn't believe they actually existed! But they do! I now have a pair of soft footbed Montereys that I got for 36 euros (including shipping: sloooow shipping that is, since mine took 33 days to get to me! but the box arrived unscathed) from http://www.birkenstock-cn.com , which is based in Germany, the Birkenstock motherland. I can now whole-heartedly recommend this site. As I've said before, their prices are UNREAL, and their service (in the form of timely email responses) is commendable. I only wish I found their site before I spent $300 on two other pairs of birks :(

lindaH on 12/12/99 at 00:00 (013625)

I spent over $400 in the last month trying to get the perfect shoes. I got Air Nike with Powerstep Inserts and they are OK, Dansko clogs and a pair of Ecco shoes that I wear to work. But, the shoe by far that has eliminated my pain I mean NONE in the morning if I put them on first, is a wool felt 'grizzly clog' by Haflinger. The best site for good price is http://www.woodscove.com Good Luck!