Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I disagree with you

Posted by Marti C on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013467)

Im not sure I totally understand what you are saying but, I like hearing the 'sucess stories' I think thats what keeps a lot of people hopeful they too may get some relief.I also like reading about what others have tried because you never know what combinations and different treatments will help others. No, you may not find this in a medical journal somewhere, but so far with my experiance the people here know more , have researched more, and have better advice than any of the doctors Ive ever seen!

Re: I disagree with you

Rick R on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013476)

Marti,

Thanks for your input, I think I did leave things in need of clarification. It basically is my point that people here do know more than those in the medical community, at least the ones I have encountered. The vast knowledge displayed daily on this board more than likely isn't in a medical journal and that's part of the problem, the doctors are lost. I in no way intended to suggest that the board should be reconstructed to create any form of exclusion. The success stories are one of the best aspects of this board. The uplifting I get from reading them is certainly not contingent on a match to my specific circumstances. However, I think it would be beneficial from the problem solving perspective to have this vast information categorized to some extent. I am currently interested in the diet facet. It would be interesting to me to know, for instance, if people with an onset not associated with an injury or athletic pursuit were more likely to consider diet a major concern than those with such onset factors. Or perhaps those with hand pain or other joint pain may find a common thread. I think a survey format might work that people could choose to, or not to participate in. In no way would I suggest that the board itself should be changed, or that volunteering to provide survey data should be prerequisite to sharing information and compassion. How are the new shoes working out? Have you tried Asics with the gel? I feel better support in mine without the blasted $300 orthitics. I was using Nike Air for years and thought I had the best thing going until I slipped into those Asics. Good luck!

Re: I disagree with you

Rick R on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013476)

Marti,

Thanks for your input, I think I did leave things in need of clarification. It basically is my point that people here do know more than those in the medical community, at least the ones I have encountered. The vast knowledge displayed daily on this board more than likely isn't in a medical journal and that's part of the problem, the doctors are lost. I in no way intended to suggest that the board should be reconstructed to create any form of exclusion. The success stories are one of the best aspects of this board. The uplifting I get from reading them is certainly not contingent on a match to my specific circumstances. However, I think it would be beneficial from the problem solving perspective to have this vast information categorized to some extent. I am currently interested in the diet facet. It would be interesting to me to know, for instance, if people with an onset not associated with an injury or athletic pursuit were more likely to consider diet a major concern than those with such onset factors. Or perhaps those with hand pain or other joint pain may find a common thread. I think a survey format might work that people could choose to, or not to participate in. In no way would I suggest that the board itself should be changed, or that volunteering to provide survey data should be prerequisite to sharing information and compassion. How are the new shoes working out? Have you tried Asics with the gel? I feel better support in mine without the blasted $300 orthitics. I was using Nike Air for years and thought I had the best thing going until I slipped into those Asics. Good luck!