Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: There are many of us "atypical" folks

Posted by Robin B. on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013489)

I've been reading this thread with interest.

When I found this board in late fall 1998, I had had PF already for several months. I had some of the most classic textbook symptoms: pain upon rising in the morning, pain after resting my feet for awhile, largely heel pain followed by twinges of arch pain. Also, I have PF in both feet -- so hobbling was fast becoming a way of life. PF occurred strictly as a result of tremendous overuse (and abuse -- i.e., cheap shoes) of my feet,not from a specific injury.

Unfortunately, most of the typical remedies have not worked for me. Now I don't stretch at all, and I rarely ice. Massage has not done much either. Neither has glucosamine or MSM or Sam-E.

I never went the orthotics route --figuring I would try Birks first. Easier to try a $90 pair of Birks than a $370 pair of orthotics, I reasoned. I was lucky -- Birks are the shoes for me.

My point is -- I was classic textbook case who has not responded well to typical textbook remedies. Through trial and error, I have concocted my own set of remedies which require some dedication and are not 100% by any means. But I do get through the day without significant discomfort, which is 200% better than where I was last year at this time.

While I support the concept of database groupings for initial exploration, I also must speak on behalf of new readers and visitors learning to read everything, to educate themselves thoroughly, to take charge of their own treatment whether they have 1 doctor or 8 working with them. So many times over the past year I have seen new people want quick answers and quick rememdies. They don't want to read Scott's tremendous main document and they don't want to research any of the archived messages, where there is a wealth of information. Anyone who has been on this board for more than a few months knows that there aren't any quick answers.

PF requires a lot of trial and error. For the most part, I believe it also requires sticking with an approach or a remedy for more than a few days to test its effectiveness. I've been at this since the summer of 1998, which really isn't long compared to some folks on this board. If it takes me another year or two, so be it.

Having been a long and steady visitor, I think there may be traditional or typical symptoms -- but more and more, I doubt that there is a collection of treatments that works for traditional cases and another collection that works for atypical cases. I truly think it's trial-and-error on a case-by-case basis. The best thing we can all do (aside from empathize with each other) is to share those activities and treatments which give us relief and try to explain the why's and how's so others can consider them.

john h on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013490)

robin: i agree with your remarks about 'sticking' to a source of treatment long enough to make a determination if it works or not. i am very impatient and have wondered from treatment to treatment without sticking to one long enough to make a good determination.

Nancy T. on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013493)

John, I agree with both you and Robin. We are so accustomed to getting a pill for an illness, and are always looking for the 'quick fix', which doesn't exist with PF, as we all have learned.
If nothing else, PF has taught me patience, an important element in treating this dreadful malady. When I was first diagnosed, my first impulse was to find a Doctor(s) who would prescribe the magic bullet' and make it all go away. Now, after 8 months, I, too, have learned that trial and error are the only thngs, plus time, that will eventually lead to its disapperance. There are no two cases exactly alike, as one can learn from simply reading this board. What works for one often times does not work for another.

Elise M. on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013503)

Dear Nancy,
You are absolutely correct.This is all trial and error. What works for one will not necessarily work for another. That is the history of medicine. Medicine is a science, not an art. I am a typical PF who did not respond to the 'typical' treatments. I tried a little of everything till I came up with what worked for me. There was no magic bullet. As a nurse, I know there is no such thing. And I agree with whoever posted the comment about trying some particular remedy for longer than a day or two. So many times in medicine, I've seen Docs(and Patients) try a drug for a day, sometimes two and then discard it because there was no quick turnaround. Trial and repair takes investigation and time. That's why this site is so good for us. It turns us all into investigators and test subjects for each other. The best part is that it's all free and comes from the heart!!! That's medicine, the way it should be....
El.

john h on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013490)

robin: i agree with your remarks about 'sticking' to a source of treatment long enough to make a determination if it works or not. i am very impatient and have wondered from treatment to treatment without sticking to one long enough to make a good determination.

Nancy T. on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013493)

John, I agree with both you and Robin. We are so accustomed to getting a pill for an illness, and are always looking for the 'quick fix', which doesn't exist with PF, as we all have learned.
If nothing else, PF has taught me patience, an important element in treating this dreadful malady. When I was first diagnosed, my first impulse was to find a Doctor(s) who would prescribe the magic bullet' and make it all go away. Now, after 8 months, I, too, have learned that trial and error are the only thngs, plus time, that will eventually lead to its disapperance. There are no two cases exactly alike, as one can learn from simply reading this board. What works for one often times does not work for another.

Elise M. on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013503)

Dear Nancy,
You are absolutely correct.This is all trial and error. What works for one will not necessarily work for another. That is the history of medicine. Medicine is a science, not an art. I am a typical PF who did not respond to the 'typical' treatments. I tried a little of everything till I came up with what worked for me. There was no magic bullet. As a nurse, I know there is no such thing. And I agree with whoever posted the comment about trying some particular remedy for longer than a day or two. So many times in medicine, I've seen Docs(and Patients) try a drug for a day, sometimes two and then discard it because there was no quick turnaround. Trial and repair takes investigation and time. That's why this site is so good for us. It turns us all into investigators and test subjects for each other. The best part is that it's all free and comes from the heart!!! That's medicine, the way it should be....
El.