Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery is a LAST resort

Posted by Lori S on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013611)

Nancy, PLEASE reconsider surgery after only having PF for a short period of time. I had it for over 10 years before having surgery almost 8 months ago. It will take up to a year to heal and there is no guarantee. Mine has been slowing getting better but I would suggest postponing the surgery until you've tried other alternatives. Have you done accupuncture? I had 4 treatments on my non-surgeried foot and it helped a lot! Don't give up but surgery is the LAST resort and most here seem to say it doesn't help. An osteopath is a Dr. that tries alternative forms of treatment (chiropractic, etc.) I've done chriopractic and pretty much everything else. Accupuncture was the only treatment I didn't try before surgery. Wish I had because my other foot is much better now.
Lori in AZ

Re: Surgery is a LAST resort

Nancy S. on 12/12/99 at 00:00 (013620)

Thanks for responding, Lori. Do you have any tips for finding a GOOD acupuncturist? I tried acupuncture 10 years ago for another problem (that has since resolved itself), and the person was kind of flaky, the treatment very painful, and I never went back. I'm also wondering how you endured 10 years with this -- were you able to do most of your work and other activities in spite of the pain? I'm sorry your surgeried foot is taking so long to heal. Is it still possible that it will come out all right? Best of luck to you.

Re: Surgery is a LAST resort

Nancy S. on 12/12/99 at 00:00 (013620)

Thanks for responding, Lori. Do you have any tips for finding a GOOD acupuncturist? I tried acupuncture 10 years ago for another problem (that has since resolved itself), and the person was kind of flaky, the treatment very painful, and I never went back. I'm also wondering how you endured 10 years with this -- were you able to do most of your work and other activities in spite of the pain? I'm sorry your surgeried foot is taking so long to heal. Is it still possible that it will come out all right? Best of luck to you.