Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

using cane; and those store "jeeps"

Posted by Nancy S on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013648)

Thanks, Wendy. I'd forgotten the cane -- was using it before I got orthotics, but then stopped. Your message reminds me that it did help some and I will start again for longer journeys, since the orthotics have me pain-free for not long enough.
I went with my husband to Home Depot one day and was going to stay in the truck because the place is so big it's like walking 20 blocks in NYC. He talked me into driving around one of those carts, which at first I felt embarrassed to do, but I was so glad I did. In fact it was even a bit fun, tho as a first-time user I was quite a menace. I ran over my husband's foot, nearly knocked down a huge lightbulb display, and when parking it when we were done I rammed into the wall. But hey, no harm done, and it was kind of funny. Looking for all the laughs I can get these days! This ailment is quite humbling in a lot of ways, I'm realizing. Maybe that's something good that can come from it . . .

Re: using cane; and those store "jeeps"

Marsha P on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013663)

Hi Nancy S
You go girl. A cane and the store jeep is the only way to fly. You have to use what ever you can to get things done. I have my own key at the market. At first I felt a little shame in using equiptment people might think were for the elderly only to get around. This is the only way I was able to get my business taken care of. I got over shame. I ride and walk proud through the isles. I had casting (PF for 2 years now) for 2 months I'm now in therapy a little better some days. Keep reading the board You will be encouraged. God bless you.

Nancy S. on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013680)

Thanks for your encouragement, Marsha. I like your attitude. Shame is a waste, and I'm realizing we can't spend precious energy on it or allow it to prevent us from protecting our injuries. Actually, I'vve been wondering about casting. Did it do you any good? What type of cast did you have? Some on this board seem to feel that it weakens everything to have the cast. Did you find that to be true for you? Since you've had PF for 2 years, you've probably considered the EPF surgery by now, and I assume you have rejected the idea? Or do you still consider it?
Take care.
Nancy S. in Maine

Marsha P on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013663)

Hi Nancy S
You go girl. A cane and the store jeep is the only way to fly. You have to use what ever you can to get things done. I have my own key at the market. At first I felt a little shame in using equiptment people might think were for the elderly only to get around. This is the only way I was able to get my business taken care of. I got over shame. I ride and walk proud through the isles. I had casting (PF for 2 years now) for 2 months I'm now in therapy a little better some days. Keep reading the board You will be encouraged. God bless you.

Nancy S. on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013680)

Thanks for your encouragement, Marsha. I like your attitude. Shame is a waste, and I'm realizing we can't spend precious energy on it or allow it to prevent us from protecting our injuries. Actually, I'vve been wondering about casting. Did it do you any good? What type of cast did you have? Some on this board seem to feel that it weakens everything to have the cast. Did you find that to be true for you? Since you've had PF for 2 years, you've probably considered the EPF surgery by now, and I assume you have rejected the idea? Or do you still consider it?
Take care.
Nancy S. in Maine