Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Humbling

Posted by wendyn on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013658)

Your story cracked me up too, and it's true - this whole event has been MOST humbling. Noticed a coworker at the gym the other day with support hose, she is having varicose vein treatment done. We were talking about whether or not they would help my swelling in my feet, I told her that at 31, it's just about all I can bear to have to live in Birkenstocks (no matter what I'm wearing or where I am) and to have to use a cane when shopping. I think if I added support hose, it might just be too much for my ego! Home Depot is the worst for shopping because of the size and the cement floors. I have no idea how people work on that every day. I haven't tried the scooter but my husband has tried to run people over with me in a wheelchair. He needs to take defensive driving for the car and the chair....maybe you can sign up for a scooter course too...

Re: Humbling

Nancy S. on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013681)

So many people have this thing, maybe you could get rich by designing a line of support hose that sport sequins, or lace, or, for this time of year, how about little Santas? Yeah, I can imagine the idea of support hose would be a bit much.
Sounds like your husband must not be being a sourpuss about this thing, and that's excellent. Mine is also a real trouper and helps me in so many ways, including helping me to be realistic about what I can and can't (or should and shouldn't) do in daily life right now. For months I was either reinjuring myself by being stoical (and stupid) and spending too much time on my feet, then being miserable; or I was lying prone in bed bemoaning my fate andthen sleeping off my despair. He has helped me design a reduced lifestyle for the next several months, plus a daily regimen based on many things we've read on this board. This board is a huge help to me already, psychologically and physically. I hope I can help others too.

Re: Humbling

Nancy S. on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013681)

So many people have this thing, maybe you could get rich by designing a line of support hose that sport sequins, or lace, or, for this time of year, how about little Santas? Yeah, I can imagine the idea of support hose would be a bit much.
Sounds like your husband must not be being a sourpuss about this thing, and that's excellent. Mine is also a real trouper and helps me in so many ways, including helping me to be realistic about what I can and can't (or should and shouldn't) do in daily life right now. For months I was either reinjuring myself by being stoical (and stupid) and spending too much time on my feet, then being miserable; or I was lying prone in bed bemoaning my fate andthen sleeping off my despair. He has helped me design a reduced lifestyle for the next several months, plus a daily regimen based on many things we've read on this board. This board is a huge help to me already, psychologically and physically. I hope I can help others too.