Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Idea for Inflammation

Posted by scott r on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013741)

I've noticed immediate improvement from stepping on the edge of a book for about 2 minutes with the swollen heel area (I can't see the swelling, but I can feel the constant dullness it causes). If you know you have some swelling and try this, post here or email me to let me know the results. I'm going to add it to the main document. Compression is well-known to be important for inflammation, and inflammation is important in a lot of cases of heel pain, but I've only vaguely referred to 'ace bandage' in the main document.

Re: Idea for Inflammation

john h on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013772)

scott: i think standing on a step with your heel off the edge and dropping your heel is a rountine recommed treatment for stretching the achilles tendon, calf muscles, and fascia. you can control the stretch by how far you drop your heels. for me it is difficult to look at the bottom of feet and tell whether i have swelling or not. i can tell as can a massage thearpist whether the fascia is tight.

VickiJ on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013777)

I am eager to try this, but I'm not exactly sure what you are describing...are you standing on the edge of a book (how thick?) with the inflammed spot/area directly on the edge of the book, or 'hanging off' like a stretching motion? I DO have some minor swelling in the fleshy skin immediately next to the site of the worst pain/inflammation, particularly at the end of the day.

Re: Idea for Inflammation I think you are on to something

Rick R on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013779)

Scott,

Could the benefit of compression (or the lack thereof) be the reason that for many the symptoms are worse first thing in the morning and after long rests? Once you get up on your feet you are compressing the affected zone. This may be a reason, at least in part, why the taping method I use works so well for me. I don't just prevent the over flexing, but put a major compressive force on the affected area. I also use ace bandages to wrap in arch supports, adding more compression, which is far more effective for me than orthitics. Don't be so sure that the swelling isn't visable. I didn't notice the 'swelling' until I had surgery, and the associated surgery induced swelling subsided. It was an 'oh yea that's what my foot used to look like' experience. Then I compared the left to the right and darned if there isn't a quite noticeable difference. Now it could be that the build-up of scar tissue and bone growth are the reasons for the 'ball' look to the heel opposed to a nice flat appearence like everybody else I know(and now my left one). I think it could help us be taken more seriously is the condition is visable. It would be a bit tough for the less professional Dr's out there to imply that the symptoms are in the head if they can see it. Great point on compression, this could be a helpful variable to explore!

john h on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013790)

i used support stockings for about a month or so after surgery and it in fact reduce swelling. i have no swelling that i can see around the ankle,foot or incision site now.

john h on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013772)

scott: i think standing on a step with your heel off the edge and dropping your heel is a rountine recommed treatment for stretching the achilles tendon, calf muscles, and fascia. you can control the stretch by how far you drop your heels. for me it is difficult to look at the bottom of feet and tell whether i have swelling or not. i can tell as can a massage thearpist whether the fascia is tight.

VickiJ on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013777)

I am eager to try this, but I'm not exactly sure what you are describing...are you standing on the edge of a book (how thick?) with the inflammed spot/area directly on the edge of the book, or 'hanging off' like a stretching motion? I DO have some minor swelling in the fleshy skin immediately next to the site of the worst pain/inflammation, particularly at the end of the day.

Rick R on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013779)

Scott,

Could the benefit of compression (or the lack thereof) be the reason that for many the symptoms are worse first thing in the morning and after long rests? Once you get up on your feet you are compressing the affected zone. This may be a reason, at least in part, why the taping method I use works so well for me. I don't just prevent the over flexing, but put a major compressive force on the affected area. I also use ace bandages to wrap in arch supports, adding more compression, which is far more effective for me than orthitics. Don't be so sure that the swelling isn't visable. I didn't notice the 'swelling' until I had surgery, and the associated surgery induced swelling subsided. It was an 'oh yea that's what my foot used to look like' experience. Then I compared the left to the right and darned if there isn't a quite noticeable difference. Now it could be that the build-up of scar tissue and bone growth are the reasons for the 'ball' look to the heel opposed to a nice flat appearence like everybody else I know(and now my left one). I think it could help us be taken more seriously is the condition is visable. It would be a bit tough for the less professional Dr's out there to imply that the symptoms are in the head if they can see it. Great point on compression, this could be a helpful variable to explore!

john h on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013790)

i used support stockings for about a month or so after surgery and it in fact reduce swelling. i have no swelling that i can see around the ankle,foot or incision site now.