Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Casting

Posted by Marsha P on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013762)

Hi Nancy, About my casting. I had the casting to hopefully prevent the surgery. My Pod did not reccomend the surgery. In fact he told me taht if he had this condition that he would not have the surgery. I respect his honesty. We decided to do the casting after the round of shots, taping, orthotics, none of these really helped. I had the cast for about 6 weeks. The cast is only to provide strict rest and does nothing more. This was a below the knee walking cast. I did have to use crutches or crawl. I did have weakness after the cast was removed and soreness due to not having used that part of my leg and foot that was casted and soreness from streching the calf muscle. The cast was removed about 4 weeks ago and I am just begining to gain control of my walking. The weakness was more in the ankle as was swelling and soreness. Saturday was a bad day , so I guess like anything else this will take time to see if there was any real benifit from the casting for me. Still will not have the surgery. I will keep reading the board for other helps. I hope this answered some ones question about casting. I think as we are all learning about PF some things work for some and not for others. Have a Great day everyone. I know I will.

Re: Casting

Sandra Z on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006536)

I had a removable cast (the Bledsoe boot) for six weeks, ending back in January. It did rest the plantar fascia but made my calf muscles and tendons very tight, so as soon as I began to walk without the cast and stretch, my foot hurt again. Then I found a great sports medicine physical therapist. She told me that I had to stretch more gently, more often, and not expect to be able to do the stretchs I could do before casting because everything had tightened up. She also massaged the knots. After a month of gentle stretching, we moved to strenghtening exercises and I have recently begun to walk on a treadmill--today was a milestone; I did 30 minutes without pain! So--my advice is that casting CAN work, but probably only if it is followed by proper physical therapy. The boot was pretty comfortable; I even learned to drive with it on my right foot. The other thing that helped was to wear a shoe with a slight heel right after getting out of the cast to help avoid stressing the shortened tendons. I wore Mephisto Eva sandals. Good luck, whatever you do!

Re: Casting

Sandra Z on 5/05/99 at 00:00 (006536)

I had a removable cast (the Bledsoe boot) for six weeks, ending back in January. It did rest the plantar fascia but made my calf muscles and tendons very tight, so as soon as I began to walk without the cast and stretch, my foot hurt again. Then I found a great sports medicine physical therapist. She told me that I had to stretch more gently, more often, and not expect to be able to do the stretchs I could do before casting because everything had tightened up. She also massaged the knots. After a month of gentle stretching, we moved to strenghtening exercises and I have recently begun to walk on a treadmill--today was a milestone; I did 30 minutes without pain! So--my advice is that casting CAN work, but probably only if it is followed by proper physical therapy. The boot was pretty comfortable; I even learned to drive with it on my right foot. The other thing that helped was to wear a shoe with a slight heel right after getting out of the cast to help avoid stressing the shortened tendons. I wore Mephisto Eva sandals. Good luck, whatever you do!