Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re: casting-

Posted by rekha.s on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013776)

I am getting put in a cast this friday. Now i am a little concerned about atrophy. I just spoke to the cast-tech and she said it is a non-removable cast, and I have to leave it on for 6 weeks. I would prefer to have a removable type cam-walker cast but my doctor says I should get in a permanent one-cuz then it will give my foot continuous rest.

Any advice or recommendations out there? Has Anyone benefit from being casted?? According to the journal articles on this board, casting is very effective, but from what I hear on this board, that cant be the case.

Re: re: casting-

Caryne on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013781)

I had the cam-walker for almost 10 weeks and I think it helped my condition...I now have a different problem with that heel than plantar fasciitis though and I'm still looking at possible surgury. At least I can walk and before the cam-walker I couldn't so I see that as an improvement.

melody on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013783)

When thinking about success rates of people on the board we should all remember that most people on here are the ones who have not been helped by various treatments. People who get PF get casted and get better don;t tend to visit here that often.

I read that in an article on here somewhere....so it must be true!!!!

Mel

Re: re: casting-to caryne

rekha.s on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013792)

caryne, do you think cam-walker is better than regular cast? You can remove cam-walker right? I don't want to get in a cast, but the podiatrist and reg doctor strongly suggest I should. please e-mail me at rekha.sharma@excite.com thanks

Al B. on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013906)

Two years ago I had avery bad case of PF. The pain kept getting worse over a period of 2 months. Finally one morning it was so bad I had to use crutches. After 3 more days of pain I went to the orthopedist. He applied a walking cast for 6 weeks. I did use crutches because he did not want me to bear any weight for the first three weeks and only half my weight for the last three weeks. I did not loose too much muscle tone and got most of it back. The important thing is I have not had a relapse. I also know of three other people who had bad cases and were casted for 6 weeks and have had full healing.

Caryne on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013781)

I had the cam-walker for almost 10 weeks and I think it helped my condition...I now have a different problem with that heel than plantar fasciitis though and I'm still looking at possible surgury. At least I can walk and before the cam-walker I couldn't so I see that as an improvement.

melody on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013783)

When thinking about success rates of people on the board we should all remember that most people on here are the ones who have not been helped by various treatments. People who get PF get casted and get better don;t tend to visit here that often.

I read that in an article on here somewhere....so it must be true!!!!

Mel

rekha.s on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013792)

caryne, do you think cam-walker is better than regular cast? You can remove cam-walker right? I don't want to get in a cast, but the podiatrist and reg doctor strongly suggest I should. please e-mail me at rekha.sharma@excite.com thanks

Al B. on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013906)

Two years ago I had avery bad case of PF. The pain kept getting worse over a period of 2 months. Finally one morning it was so bad I had to use crutches. After 3 more days of pain I went to the orthopedist. He applied a walking cast for 6 weeks. I did use crutches because he did not want me to bear any weight for the first three weeks and only half my weight for the last three weeks. I did not loose too much muscle tone and got most of it back. The important thing is I have not had a relapse. I also know of three other people who had bad cases and were casted for 6 weeks and have had full healing.