Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Database is Ready

Posted by Scott R on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013780)

I worked all day to get it finished. Pleased provide comments ASAP on how to improve it. My fear is that it's too long and complicated for a large number of people to fill out. In the past my surveys were less than a page long so that as many people possible would fill it out. This one is different. If ya'll use it, I'll make it public and make advanced search functions to find identical sufferers.

Questionnaire

Collected Data

Re: Database is ReadyRe scott

Laurie R on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013785)

Hi Scott ,this looks great!!!! I feel it could help alot of people this site has helped me so much I have learned more here than any doctor and I have had 3 so far.Thanks again.P.S. do you want us to fill this out now or wait? Laurie R

Re: Database is Ready

john a on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013812)

Some thoughts/ideas. Some of this is just different ways of getting the same information, or a change in presentation:

1. In the 'very Harmful' to 'Very Helpful' scale, I think we need to add 'Maybe Harmful' and 'Maybe Helped', and change 'Helpful' to 'Helped a little' and 'Harmed' to 'A little harmful'.
2. There should be a detailed way of describing _when_ pain occurs, allowing _multiple_ choices: first step, standing, walking, all-the-time , gets worse the longer standing/walking, heel misstep, etc.
3. Also the type of pain: none, slight, sharp stabbing, dull ache, burning, tingling, throbbing, nauseating, mind-numbing, etc.
4. Maybe an array of types of activities and the type of pain it causes, using pop-up selection boxes, would be good.
5. Add various GI problems to the lists of other accompanying health conditions: ulcers / colitis / crones / diverticulitis / leaky gut, etc.
6. Allow people to select from a list of remedies that they use long-term to keep pain bearable, such as

minimal time on feet
standing calf stretches
sitting PF stretches/massage via bending toes back and stroking PF
low impact aerobic exercise: cycling / rowing / elliptic trainer / etc.
custom orthotics: rigid / semi-rigid / soft
OTC inserts
orthopedic sandals/clogs: Birkenstocks / Mephisto / Naot / Stegmann / Haflinger
orthopedic shoes : Birkenstocks / Mephisto / Ecco
other shoes:
iceing
heat
percussion massager
hand massage
various 'roller'-style massage devices OTC or improvised (golf ball!)
bromelain
pancreatine
glucosamine-chondroitin
vitamin C:
calcium di-phosphate
chinese medicinal herbs:
low-carb diet

7. Allow selection of various levels of tolerable current activity, such as

running 20+ miles a week
running 10+ miles a week
running 5+ miles a week
walking 20+ miles a week
walking 10+ miles a week
walking 5+ miles a week
cycling outdoors 20+ miles a week
cycling outdoors 10+ miles a week
cycling outdoors 5+ miles a week
cycling indoors 60+ minutes a week
cycling indoors 30+ minutes a week
cycling indoors 10+ minutes a week

minimal walking - just enough to live: grocery / laundry / cooking
can't even walk - must crawl around house

standing for 1+ minutes causes pain
standing for 5+ minutes causes pain
standing for 10+ minutes causes pain
standing for 30+ minutes causes pain

Doug P on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013822)

First of all Scott, you are really great for doing this. I think it will help people a lot to identify those who have similar symptoms to your own. A few suggestions: It would be neat if the people could be displayed in the a table -like format where each row is a different person. The only problem there is the text fields that are long -- they would stretch out in one line. Another thing is listing what helps and doesn't help. Sometimes I wanted to put something between 'helped' and 'really helped'. Maybe a scale from 1 to 10?

Scott R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013857)

Thanks everybody for the comments about the database. I'll be able to use the data collected so far. Yes, I sort of goofed on the morning pain part. I'm thinking of ways to make it shorter. I might be able to incorporate the 1300 responses from the earlier surveys. Hopefully I'll be able to complete it and make it easily searchable and displayable this weekend.

Re: Database is ReadyRe scott

Laurie R on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013785)

Hi Scott ,this looks great!!!! I feel it could help alot of people this site has helped me so much I have learned more here than any doctor and I have had 3 so far.Thanks again.P.S. do you want us to fill this out now or wait? Laurie R

john a on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013812)

Some thoughts/ideas. Some of this is just different ways of getting the same information, or a change in presentation:

1. In the 'very Harmful' to 'Very Helpful' scale, I think we need to add 'Maybe Harmful' and 'Maybe Helped', and change 'Helpful' to 'Helped a little' and 'Harmed' to 'A little harmful'.
2. There should be a detailed way of describing _when_ pain occurs, allowing _multiple_ choices: first step, standing, walking, all-the-time , gets worse the longer standing/walking, heel misstep, etc.
3. Also the type of pain: none, slight, sharp stabbing, dull ache, burning, tingling, throbbing, nauseating, mind-numbing, etc.
4. Maybe an array of types of activities and the type of pain it causes, using pop-up selection boxes, would be good.
5. Add various GI problems to the lists of other accompanying health conditions: ulcers / colitis / crones / diverticulitis / leaky gut, etc.
6. Allow people to select from a list of remedies that they use long-term to keep pain bearable, such as

minimal time on feet
standing calf stretches
sitting PF stretches/massage via bending toes back and stroking PF
low impact aerobic exercise: cycling / rowing / elliptic trainer / etc.
custom orthotics: rigid / semi-rigid / soft
OTC inserts
orthopedic sandals/clogs: Birkenstocks / Mephisto / Naot / Stegmann / Haflinger
orthopedic shoes : Birkenstocks / Mephisto / Ecco
other shoes:
iceing
heat
percussion massager
hand massage
various 'roller'-style massage devices OTC or improvised (golf ball!)
bromelain
pancreatine
glucosamine-chondroitin
vitamin C:
calcium di-phosphate
chinese medicinal herbs:
low-carb diet

7. Allow selection of various levels of tolerable current activity, such as

running 20+ miles a week
running 10+ miles a week
running 5+ miles a week
walking 20+ miles a week
walking 10+ miles a week
walking 5+ miles a week
cycling outdoors 20+ miles a week
cycling outdoors 10+ miles a week
cycling outdoors 5+ miles a week
cycling indoors 60+ minutes a week
cycling indoors 30+ minutes a week
cycling indoors 10+ minutes a week

minimal walking - just enough to live: grocery / laundry / cooking
can't even walk - must crawl around house

standing for 1+ minutes causes pain
standing for 5+ minutes causes pain
standing for 10+ minutes causes pain
standing for 30+ minutes causes pain

Doug P on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013822)

First of all Scott, you are really great for doing this. I think it will help people a lot to identify those who have similar symptoms to your own. A few suggestions: It would be neat if the people could be displayed in the a table -like format where each row is a different person. The only problem there is the text fields that are long -- they would stretch out in one line. Another thing is listing what helps and doesn't help. Sometimes I wanted to put something between 'helped' and 'really helped'. Maybe a scale from 1 to 10?

Scott R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013857)

Thanks everybody for the comments about the database. I'll be able to use the data collected so far. Yes, I sort of goofed on the morning pain part. I'm thinking of ways to make it shorter. I might be able to incorporate the 1300 responses from the earlier surveys. Hopefully I'll be able to complete it and make it easily searchable and displayable this weekend.