Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: To Rick, re: preventing 10 years of damage

Posted by Nancy S. on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013801)

Rick, thanks for your very helpful comments. I'd imagine that 10 years ago it would have been hard if not impossible to find fellow sufferers to discuss this with and learn from. What would you have done differently, in retrospect? I'm wondering particularly about REST. I've spent the last 8 months trying to be brave and not rest; I mean I've been forced to rest lots of days because of the pain, but then I'd try to pretend it wasn't there and no doubt end up reinjuring myself pretty consistently. I'm going half-time in my regular work very soon (antiquing -- I hate making this change, but I'm lucky too that since I'm self employed I can play around with my schedule). I'm planning to really stay off my feet as much as I can, and pay close attention to them when I'm on them -- that is, when I have pain, Get Off Them. (I say 'them' because tho I have PF in only my left foot, my right foot is getting tired and sore from trying to keep weight off the left one.) I wish you the best in acceptance of your condition -- it sounds like you can do a lot, all things considered -- and maybe more improvement will still happen gradually. I just got Birkenstocks and because of them will never go barefoot again; I step out of them at night into bed, and step into them in the morning rightfrom the bed. I wear orthotics in running shoes some of the time, but still get pain after 2 or 3 hours, and before getting the Birks I was walking around the house without enough protection, I now realize.
Thanks. Nancy in Maine