Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Hiking Boots Too

Posted by John C. on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013807)

Stuart,
The same thing happened to me. I went thru about 16 months of PF. During that time, I had a vacation had planned a 16 mile hike. I thought that I would suffer greatly, but went on the hike anyway. I was very suprised that my PF disapeared for nearly a week. I was very confused at the time. The hiking boots were very stiff and would only bend just behind the toes. I was wearing a drugstore orthotic with them.

In February of this year, I went on a week long ski trip. Again, the ski boots improved my PF.

I am convinced that for some of us PF'ers, a very stiff shoe is very helpful. That may be one of the good attributes of Birkenstocks. They are very ridgid, like ski boots and good hiking boots.

I am over the PF now and wear a pair of Rockport Prowalkers. They have a shank that makes them stiff. For me, any shoe that I am thinking about buying, I take in both hands and bend them to see where they flex. If they flex too easily or flex in the center (under the arch), I will pass them up. For me, a shoe must only bend under the ball of the foot.

Good luck snow boarding. I've thought about trying it myself.

John C.

Re: Hiking Boots --MeToo!

AndreaB on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013813)

Ditto for me. The stiffer the better! I don't wear the orthotics in my hiking boots though. I also have a pair of platform shoes that I bought that work best for dressier shoes. I will have to try the ski boots. I have actually not been skiing because just the thought of standing still in one place for long periods kills me!

zack on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013834)

I bought a pair of adidas cross trainers and they have a hard plastic like plate on the bottom. this keeps the shoe from flexing except at toes. my feet seem to be improveing since then.

AndreaB on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013813)

Ditto for me. The stiffer the better! I don't wear the orthotics in my hiking boots though. I also have a pair of platform shoes that I bought that work best for dressier shoes. I will have to try the ski boots. I have actually not been skiing because just the thought of standing still in one place for long periods kills me!

zack on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013834)

I bought a pair of adidas cross trainers and they have a hard plastic like plate on the bottom. this keeps the shoe from flexing except at toes. my feet seem to be improveing since then.