Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about inflammation

Posted by Sally T on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013811)

I have been reading messages on this board for 3-4 weeks, and it has helped a lot with my 2 year case. My question is this: Will reducing the inflammation with medication (or any other method for that matter)help to allow healing to occur or will it just mask the pain and make me think I am better? I have seen information here to indicate each of those possibilities. If the latter is true, maybe I am better off having the pain as an indicator of when I am inflicting more damage.
I really appreciate all the help and advice here.

Re: Question about inflammation

Rick R on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013814)

Sally,

I for one believe that the anti inflammitories do indeed help the natural healing process. As you may know from other posts I'm a believer in staying completly off your feet after taking anti- inflammation meds, or massage heat.... I didn't think they did any good until I started crawling around or giong right to bed after taking them. Hope you find some relief, hang in there.

Nancy T. on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013824)

Hi Sally: I belive it is very important to get the inflammation under control before healing actually begins. Without ridding or calming down the inflammation, usually with ice and/or anti-inflammatories, your body is 'too busy' fighting the inflammation to heal itself. It also causes your body to position itself differently, thus causing pain in other areas (back, etc.). My own personal experience with PF showed this to be true...once I got the inflammation under control by icing three times a day, things started to turn around for me. Hope this helps...

Rick R on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013814)

Sally,

I for one believe that the anti inflammitories do indeed help the natural healing process. As you may know from other posts I'm a believer in staying completly off your feet after taking anti- inflammation meds, or massage heat.... I didn't think they did any good until I started crawling around or giong right to bed after taking them. Hope you find some relief, hang in there.

Nancy T. on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013824)

Hi Sally: I belive it is very important to get the inflammation under control before healing actually begins. Without ridding or calming down the inflammation, usually with ice and/or anti-inflammatories, your body is 'too busy' fighting the inflammation to heal itself. It also causes your body to position itself differently, thus causing pain in other areas (back, etc.). My own personal experience with PF showed this to be true...once I got the inflammation under control by icing three times a day, things started to turn around for me. Hope this helps...