Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re TTS vs.PF to Wendy and Alan

Posted by Laurie R on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013819)

Hi TO all of you , Wendy and Alan thank you so much for your input I really really appreciate it.Wendy I read your post all the time and I have learned more from you then any doctor.I do want to get a 2nd opinion but I have to wait because I am on workmans comp right now and they are paying for everything.Now do you guys think that the nerve conduction test will show anything if it does not show TTs why take it?I in no way want to have TTS but I do have all the symptoms.Sometimes I have more pain just sitting not doing anything and when I walk to much or on my feet to much I am in so much more pain but it does not let up when I get off my feet.Like now I am on the computer sitting and my foot is numb and also it is tigeling.I asked my pt yesterday about TTS and he said maybe but he also said my symptoms could be that of my entrapped nerve.Alan all I can say is I know how you feel!!!!!!!!!I feel really confused.......Laurie R

Re: Re TTS vs.PF to Wendy and Alan

john h on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013821)

laurie: if you are sitting and your foot is numb i would certainly invistigate a possibility of a pinched nerve in the low back.

john h on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013823)

laurie: one of the test doctors use to test for pinched nerves in the low back or nerve damage is to walk across the room on your heels and then back on your toes. can you do it?

Re: Re TTS vs.PF to Wendy and AlanRE John

Laurie R on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013830)

Hi John thanks for your response.Ok I did what you said and it did not cause any more pain.As far as I know I have never have had any trouble with my back.I really belive I have TTS as well as pf.My podiatrist also said I have a entrapped nerve.thanks again for the little test.Laurie R

wendyn on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013831)

The nerve conduction tests can help CONFIRM a diagnosis of TTS, but they can't really rule it out. So basically, just because your test is negative - doesn't mean that you DO NOT have TTS. But, if the test is positive, it is a way of being sure that you've probably located the source of the problem. It seems to depend on who you ask as far as how much faith they put in the test. It's really not painful, it is uncomfortable but probably worth doing. See if you can push for another opinion, tell Workers Comp that you're not confident that your doctor is doing all he can and that you REALLY REALLY want to get back to work ASAP, maybe that will motivate them.

Re: Re TTS vs.PF to Wendy and Alan: time to get AGGRESSIVE

alan k on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013839)

Dear Laurie,

By 'entrapped nerve' I take it the PT meant in the back? TTS is also an entrapped nerve in the ankle/foot, or otherwise irritated.

You need to be very insistent with the source of your health insurance to get a second opinion.

The conduction test, if positive, would entitle you to all the wonderful benefits and treatments of a tts patient with your health provider (whatever those treatments might be). A negative test does not rule out tts, so in that case you might, among uninformed dosctors and gatekeepers, need to be assertive to preserve the attention on tts.

But John is right. You definitely could have an entrapped nerve in the back, even without an injury there. It doesn't make intuitive sense, since the pain is 'in' the feet, but do remember that ultimately the pain is in the mind, which percieves it in various locations. The wires of perception can get crossed and the mind percieves pain 'in' various 'places.' People who lose limbs can still feel their limbs 'there,' etc. It is very possible you have either tts or an entrapped nerve in the spine.

An MRI is, I believe, the way to confirm the back thesis. It is definitivie, too, I think. Forthose reasons you should not resist the pinched nerve in the back idea, but aggressively pursue it by insisting on an MRI IMMEDIATELY. They are expensive so the gatekeepers are reluctant. You should crash the gate immediately and get that MRI on your spine. Then you will know.

Also, I forgot to ask, is there any discoloration on your feet or in the places that hurt? Does it hurt when you press on the soles of your feet in any places?

alan k

Laurie R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013848)

HI Alan,they say 3 doctors that I have a entrapped nerve in my foot all the pain I have runs from my arch to the back of my heel and just under my ankel.that is also the place my foot goes numb.see I twisted my foot at work 6 months ago and that when all this started.I also started getting electicalpains shooting throw my foot way back when this statarted.I think thats why they say I have a entrapped nerve. Laurie R

Laurie R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013862)

if you were able to walk on your heels and toes without pain that is a very good indication of no pinched nerve in low back.

Laurie R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013871)

Hi Alan , I don't have any discoloration at all on my feet.Thank god because than I would think I would have RSD.I think I told you but ,my entrapped nerve is in my foot just under my ankel.Laurie R

alan k on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013886)

that's good news Laurie. Looks like you are on the right track. I'm sure we'll keep eachother updated as we all try to do something about this. Maybe because your injury might be a cause that means that this will get better some time, since your ankle might not be to blame except for the trauma. Hope so.

alan k

wendyn on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013891)

I can have discoloration on my right foot (the worse one). If it flares up, I will see some redness along my inner foot, below and just forward of the ankle bone (this is where most of my pain is too). It can turn puffy and swollen as well. When my foot was the worse, between May and September - my right foot took on almost a blue/grey color - I think from lack of use. Was pretty ugly (even more ugly than normal!) I have never read that swelling and/or discoloration are typical symptoms of TTS.

Mary J. on 12/19/99 at 00:00 (013913)

Wendyn,
I have that pain just below and forword of the ankle bone. The orthopedist told me it was inflammation of the posterior tib tendon, which runs parallel to the facia. He gave me Celebrex. It seems I may have this in addition to PF (4 years) because it just started hurting in the last few months after a failure at physical therapy. I also have back leg pain. I haven't noticed any numbness, swelling or discoloration. Thanks to Scott and everyone on the board for helping me to have the right questions for the doctor. Mary J.

john h on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013821)

laurie: if you are sitting and your foot is numb i would certainly invistigate a possibility of a pinched nerve in the low back.

john h on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013823)

laurie: one of the test doctors use to test for pinched nerves in the low back or nerve damage is to walk across the room on your heels and then back on your toes. can you do it?

Laurie R on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013830)

Hi John thanks for your response.Ok I did what you said and it did not cause any more pain.As far as I know I have never have had any trouble with my back.I really belive I have TTS as well as pf.My podiatrist also said I have a entrapped nerve.thanks again for the little test.Laurie R

wendyn on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013831)

The nerve conduction tests can help CONFIRM a diagnosis of TTS, but they can't really rule it out. So basically, just because your test is negative - doesn't mean that you DO NOT have TTS. But, if the test is positive, it is a way of being sure that you've probably located the source of the problem. It seems to depend on who you ask as far as how much faith they put in the test. It's really not painful, it is uncomfortable but probably worth doing. See if you can push for another opinion, tell Workers Comp that you're not confident that your doctor is doing all he can and that you REALLY REALLY want to get back to work ASAP, maybe that will motivate them.

alan k on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013839)

Dear Laurie,

By 'entrapped nerve' I take it the PT meant in the back? TTS is also an entrapped nerve in the ankle/foot, or otherwise irritated.

You need to be very insistent with the source of your health insurance to get a second opinion.

The conduction test, if positive, would entitle you to all the wonderful benefits and treatments of a tts patient with your health provider (whatever those treatments might be). A negative test does not rule out tts, so in that case you might, among uninformed dosctors and gatekeepers, need to be assertive to preserve the attention on tts.

But John is right. You definitely could have an entrapped nerve in the back, even without an injury there. It doesn't make intuitive sense, since the pain is 'in' the feet, but do remember that ultimately the pain is in the mind, which percieves it in various locations. The wires of perception can get crossed and the mind percieves pain 'in' various 'places.' People who lose limbs can still feel their limbs 'there,' etc. It is very possible you have either tts or an entrapped nerve in the spine.

An MRI is, I believe, the way to confirm the back thesis. It is definitivie, too, I think. Forthose reasons you should not resist the pinched nerve in the back idea, but aggressively pursue it by insisting on an MRI IMMEDIATELY. They are expensive so the gatekeepers are reluctant. You should crash the gate immediately and get that MRI on your spine. Then you will know.

Also, I forgot to ask, is there any discoloration on your feet or in the places that hurt? Does it hurt when you press on the soles of your feet in any places?

alan k

Laurie R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013848)

HI Alan,they say 3 doctors that I have a entrapped nerve in my foot all the pain I have runs from my arch to the back of my heel and just under my ankel.that is also the place my foot goes numb.see I twisted my foot at work 6 months ago and that when all this started.I also started getting electicalpains shooting throw my foot way back when this statarted.I think thats why they say I have a entrapped nerve. Laurie R

Laurie R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013862)

if you were able to walk on your heels and toes without pain that is a very good indication of no pinched nerve in low back.

Laurie R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013871)

Hi Alan , I don't have any discoloration at all on my feet.Thank god because than I would think I would have RSD.I think I told you but ,my entrapped nerve is in my foot just under my ankel.Laurie R

alan k on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013886)

that's good news Laurie. Looks like you are on the right track. I'm sure we'll keep eachother updated as we all try to do something about this. Maybe because your injury might be a cause that means that this will get better some time, since your ankle might not be to blame except for the trauma. Hope so.

alan k

wendyn on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013891)

I can have discoloration on my right foot (the worse one). If it flares up, I will see some redness along my inner foot, below and just forward of the ankle bone (this is where most of my pain is too). It can turn puffy and swollen as well. When my foot was the worse, between May and September - my right foot took on almost a blue/grey color - I think from lack of use. Was pretty ugly (even more ugly than normal!) I have never read that swelling and/or discoloration are typical symptoms of TTS.

Mary J. on 12/19/99 at 00:00 (013913)

Wendyn,
I have that pain just below and forword of the ankle bone. The orthopedist told me it was inflammation of the posterior tib tendon, which runs parallel to the facia. He gave me Celebrex. It seems I may have this in addition to PF (4 years) because it just started hurting in the last few months after a failure at physical therapy. I also have back leg pain. I haven't noticed any numbness, swelling or discoloration. Thanks to Scott and everyone on the board for helping me to have the right questions for the doctor. Mary J.