Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Compression really helps inflammation

Posted by Scott R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013858)

I've been pushing my feet hard the last few weeks to make sure I won;t need the Ossatron. Inflammation hurting some when I wake up has been the result. Stepping on the edge of something (pressing the area were it hurts) for 2 minutes has been very effective at squeezing the excess fluid out of the area. Pain goes to zero afterwards.

Re: Compression really helps inflammation

Cindy M. on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013870)

Scott R
Your comment about compression was interesting. I have had a painful heel/arch for about 1 year in my left foot. The right foot has been pain free for about 6 months. I have tried magnets, ice, stretching, store bought heel pads and wearing strictly new, good sneakers 24-7.
The thing that does work for some relief is having my husband (or myself) message or apply pressure to the sore area. It hurts like mad but I have noticed that the next day it feels slightly better. The main problem for me has been that I haven't given up tennis and I guess I probably should. The day after playing is agony for me. Do you think I can heal this thing while still playing 'social' tennis several times a week??

Annette G on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013882)

Scott is right Cindy, I was asking the same thing about running, it took me months to finally realize that I just had to stop...one of the hardest things to do, but it is the only way that I can heal, like you, the day of, and especially the day after I would run, I would be in complete agony. I'm just really sorry that I didn't stop sooner, now it is going to take me forever to heal since I kept doing more damage to my foot each time I ran, (8 months worth). If I had only stopped after 2 months of pain, I would probably be running right now. Now I can hardly walk. Good luck Cindy, I hope your feet heal fast for you so that you can get out there and play some tennis with out pain.
Annette

YokoS on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013883)

Scott, after I saw your first post about compression. I step on TV Guide (hard cover is too painful) for 2 min. Works!!

VLJ on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013990)

Not sure if you're still checking for messages about this, but I've been trying the compression too and finding it very relieving. I've been stepping on the edge of a concrete slab in the laundry room as well as pressing as hard as I can stand to with a rock hard ball while sitting. It doesn't send me through the roof like it used to when the pt first suggested it over a year ago...meaning I can barely tolerate it, BUT there is tremendous relief sometimes and at least a little relief all the time.

Cindy M. on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013870)

Scott R
Your comment about compression was interesting. I have had a painful heel/arch for about 1 year in my left foot. The right foot has been pain free for about 6 months. I have tried magnets, ice, stretching, store bought heel pads and wearing strictly new, good sneakers 24-7.
The thing that does work for some relief is having my husband (or myself) message or apply pressure to the sore area. It hurts like mad but I have noticed that the next day it feels slightly better. The main problem for me has been that I haven't given up tennis and I guess I probably should. The day after playing is agony for me. Do you think I can heal this thing while still playing 'social' tennis several times a week??

Annette G on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013882)

Scott is right Cindy, I was asking the same thing about running, it took me months to finally realize that I just had to stop...one of the hardest things to do, but it is the only way that I can heal, like you, the day of, and especially the day after I would run, I would be in complete agony. I'm just really sorry that I didn't stop sooner, now it is going to take me forever to heal since I kept doing more damage to my foot each time I ran, (8 months worth). If I had only stopped after 2 months of pain, I would probably be running right now. Now I can hardly walk. Good luck Cindy, I hope your feet heal fast for you so that you can get out there and play some tennis with out pain.
Annette

YokoS on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013883)

Scott, after I saw your first post about compression. I step on TV Guide (hard cover is too painful) for 2 min. Works!!

VLJ on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013990)

Not sure if you're still checking for messages about this, but I've been trying the compression too and finding it very relieving. I've been stepping on the edge of a concrete slab in the laundry room as well as pressing as hard as I can stand to with a rock hard ball while sitting. It doesn't send me through the roof like it used to when the pt first suggested it over a year ago...meaning I can barely tolerate it, BUT there is tremendous relief sometimes and at least a little relief all the time.