Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping? Will it weaken the muscle tissue?

Posted by Dan W on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013869)

Hi all, recently I was taped by my podiatrist and was surprised to find some definate relief. Not all the pain is gone of course, but my foot definatly feels stronger, less painful. What my question is, is this temporary relief, or is this really going to help me to get better? I heard that Scott R. has taped for years, I am not looking forward to having to tape everyday. Having suffered for many years, I will of course do it just to escape some of this disabling pain. I just hope it doesnt contribute to more complications in the future. It makes me angry that my podiatrist did not do this sooner. Even though Scott has described in detail his taping method, somehow it never occured to me that it would help my feet support my weight. Theres got to be a catch, some unforseen danger of damaging other tissues. Have painless days.

Re: Taping? Will it weaken the muscle tissue?

jennh on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013877)

I don't know about losing muscle tone, but I do tape everytime I run or do any martial arts training. I am finding it really helps. It doesn't prevent the pain, but for some reason it seems to alleviate it. The only problem is when I do get blisters and then have to pull the tape off. Ouch!!

Scott R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013878)

I have not had a problem with muscle tone. I have weaned my right foot off tape and it looks like I'll have good success with my left foot.

caryne on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013887)

I was just taped for the lst time this past week (after almost a year of various treatments..too many to mention) and I found it made my heel worse...the pressure on my sore heel was very uncomfortable and the arch on my left foot hurt with the taping. I don't know why but I was glad to pull it off this morning.

jennh on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013877)

I don't know about losing muscle tone, but I do tape everytime I run or do any martial arts training. I am finding it really helps. It doesn't prevent the pain, but for some reason it seems to alleviate it. The only problem is when I do get blisters and then have to pull the tape off. Ouch!!

Scott R on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013878)

I have not had a problem with muscle tone. I have weaned my right foot off tape and it looks like I'll have good success with my left foot.

caryne on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013887)

I was just taped for the lst time this past week (after almost a year of various treatments..too many to mention) and I found it made my heel worse...the pressure on my sore heel was very uncomfortable and the arch on my left foot hurt with the taping. I don't know why but I was glad to pull it off this morning.