Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post ossatron- 9 weeks right heel, 7 weeks left heel.

Posted by Mohez on 12/17/99 at 00:00 (013875)

Well, nothing special to report. However, there has been a slight improvement over last week in the amount of pain, especially in the morning when the pain is considerably less. During the day, it is also a little less, but it is still about 2 hours of being on my feet when the pain starts to kick in, same as before. The tender spot re: the ossatron is all but gone from my right heel, and still there on my left heel, although to a lesser degree than in previous weeks. I went to see Dr. Galea on Tuesday, and he told me i was progressing fine, but he wanted me to go for active release therapy, once to twice a week, depending on what the chiropractor felt. I start those next week. Well to tell you the truth i am getting worried. Martha and Jenn had relief by now and i do not. James ( at Dr. Galea's clinic), told me that it looked like i was one of those that would need the full 12 weeks before any substantial recovery is received. I hope and pray he is right. On another note, there was a big front page write up about ESWT in the Toronto Star sports section on Wednesday. I have read it and will post what it says in a nut shell next week. John W, if you are reading this and want a copy of the article, i can mail it to you, just provide me with your mailing address.

Mohez

Re: Post ossatron- 9 weeks right heel, 7 weeks left heel.

Duane E on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013884)

My break-even point was eight weeks after OssaTron treatment. I noticed the improvement in the pressure test after ten weeks.
There is an internet version of the Dec. 15, 1999 Toronto Star article available at:
http://www.thestar.com/thestar/back_issues/ED19991215/sports/991215SPT01_SP-SHOCK15.html
The print version may be more detailed.

Scott R on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013888)

Thank you very much for the link to the useful article. It sounds like there is agreement on the amount of pain the ossatron causes. If the shockwaves are only 1 to 4 per second, then it really is a lot like hitting the foot with a bat. Sound waves are just presssure waves, and a bat can do that just fine. I guess differences would be that the bat can't focus beneath the skin and at a specific location and so the bat is more likely to cause more extraneous injury, and it may not reach deep tissue as well. Do they follow treatments with ice? It sounds as if following with ice is strongly indicated (as well as vitamin C).

Duane E on 12/19/99 at 00:00 (013911)

The total energy of hitting the foot with a bat would be much greater than a single shock wave from the OssaTron. The focused shock waves from the OssaTron are confined to a very small area; however the energy per unit area is higher than what a bat could create. With that in mind, the damage the OssaTron does to the targeted area, (scar tissue) will also be very different from the type of damage a bat creates.

Inflammation is part of the tissue healing process. ESWT is used to induce inflammation. Nothing that interferes with the inflammation and neovascularization processes is to be used. This includes anti-inflammatories and ice.

Re: Post ossatron- 9 weeks right heel, 7 weeks left heel: question about message

alan k on 12/19/99 at 00:00 (013912)

Would this prohibition of ice and oral anti-inflammatories apply also to ART therapy? What about those of us who feel that the electric messagers might be breaking up adhesions, etc. Should we avoid ice too, based on that idea? (Assuming, of course, that there is some parallel between message and ossatron).

I would love a scientific answer. I am finding that my electric messagers (footsoother, and homedics pro hand held) even if used sparingly make my feet a little raw. This, even though I am supposed to have tts, and I don't touch the tarsal tunnel area. Regardless, I am thinking now to pursue this messaging even though it is not soothing, because I feel soemthing has to be done, and maybe a little discomfort from message might induce some healing after. Letting things just be, by contrast, is not going to work.

So anyway, any answer about how ossatron might relate to message and to ice use would be very helpful to me.

Thanks so much, alan k

Duane E on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013884)

My break-even point was eight weeks after OssaTron treatment. I noticed the improvement in the pressure test after ten weeks.
There is an internet version of the Dec. 15, 1999 Toronto Star article available at:
http://www.thestar.com/thestar/back_issues/ED19991215/sports/991215SPT01_SP-SHOCK15.html
The print version may be more detailed.

Scott R on 12/18/99 at 00:00 (013888)

Thank you very much for the link to the useful article. It sounds like there is agreement on the amount of pain the ossatron causes. If the shockwaves are only 1 to 4 per second, then it really is a lot like hitting the foot with a bat. Sound waves are just presssure waves, and a bat can do that just fine. I guess differences would be that the bat can't focus beneath the skin and at a specific location and so the bat is more likely to cause more extraneous injury, and it may not reach deep tissue as well. Do they follow treatments with ice? It sounds as if following with ice is strongly indicated (as well as vitamin C).

Duane E on 12/19/99 at 00:00 (013911)

The total energy of hitting the foot with a bat would be much greater than a single shock wave from the OssaTron. The focused shock waves from the OssaTron are confined to a very small area; however the energy per unit area is higher than what a bat could create. With that in mind, the damage the OssaTron does to the targeted area, (scar tissue) will also be very different from the type of damage a bat creates.

Inflammation is part of the tissue healing process. ESWT is used to induce inflammation. Nothing that interferes with the inflammation and neovascularization processes is to be used. This includes anti-inflammatories and ice.

Re: Post ossatron- 9 weeks right heel, 7 weeks left heel: question about message

alan k on 12/19/99 at 00:00 (013912)

Would this prohibition of ice and oral anti-inflammatories apply also to ART therapy? What about those of us who feel that the electric messagers might be breaking up adhesions, etc. Should we avoid ice too, based on that idea? (Assuming, of course, that there is some parallel between message and ossatron).

I would love a scientific answer. I am finding that my electric messagers (footsoother, and homedics pro hand held) even if used sparingly make my feet a little raw. This, even though I am supposed to have tts, and I don't touch the tarsal tunnel area. Regardless, I am thinking now to pursue this messaging even though it is not soothing, because I feel soemthing has to be done, and maybe a little discomfort from message might induce some healing after. Letting things just be, by contrast, is not going to work.

So anyway, any answer about how ossatron might relate to message and to ice use would be very helpful to me.

Thanks so much, alan k