Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Natural Solution for Heel Pain

Posted by Becky R. on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013932)

Hello all,
I just viewed a video I got from my physical therapist on Friday entitled 'Natural Solution to Heel Pain' and it says you don't need injection, orthotics, heel cups, physical therapy, etc. JUST DO THESE SIMPLE STRETCHING EXERCISES. The video was done by a local orthopedic surgeon who specialized in foot and ankle conditions. He says the reason people get heel pain is because the achilles tendon is tight or too short. The key is to stretch this so as to eliminate excessive stretch or pull on the plantar fascia. The exercise he recommends is to stand on the edge of steps with the ball of your feet, leaving the heels dropped down. Do three times a day for 5 minutes. It may take 4-6 months to completely work but may notice some improvement sooner. Some people may need to modify this if you have condition >6 months or over age 50. This I guess is as good as any advise since nothing as worked for me yet. Anyone interested in the video, you can call 1-800-572-1477. Just passing on the info - I always appreciate any info and have found the message board to be very valuable. Good luck to all.

Re: Natural Solution for Heel Pain

Elise M. on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013934)

Dear Becky,
I too have found that stretching is integral to being able to take those first steps in the am without pain. I stretch in bed for 5-10 minutes, then I stand at the bedside without moving, just enough time to let my heels accept my full weight. I then put on socks/shoes and walk to bathroom and jump into a hot shower. I also recently tried just plain old buffered aspirin instead of the more well known otc antiinflammatories (I have tried all the prescription strength ones as well) The couple of days that I felt better and forgot to stretch (I don't think I attributed my feeling better to being diligent with the stretching) I certainly noticed a difference. I have gone back to REMEMBERING to stretch and I have had a few days now with relatively mild pain. Thanks for the info ! Have a great day :)
El.

VLJ on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013953)

In the category of 'what works for some doesn't work for everyone': I was doing the exact stretch you describe (only for 30 seconds at a time...the exercise physiologist I learned from said you can injure yourself stretching for several minutes at a time...that it is better to do 30 seconds to 1 minute several times through out the day...do any two professionals agree about anything!)anyway...I had been doing that exact stretch for years as part of my daily stretching routine AND I GOT PF ANYWAY! Go figure.

Elise M. on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013934)

Dear Becky,
I too have found that stretching is integral to being able to take those first steps in the am without pain. I stretch in bed for 5-10 minutes, then I stand at the bedside without moving, just enough time to let my heels accept my full weight. I then put on socks/shoes and walk to bathroom and jump into a hot shower. I also recently tried just plain old buffered aspirin instead of the more well known otc antiinflammatories (I have tried all the prescription strength ones as well) The couple of days that I felt better and forgot to stretch (I don't think I attributed my feeling better to being diligent with the stretching) I certainly noticed a difference. I have gone back to REMEMBERING to stretch and I have had a few days now with relatively mild pain. Thanks for the info ! Have a great day :)
El.

VLJ on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013953)

In the category of 'what works for some doesn't work for everyone': I was doing the exact stretch you describe (only for 30 seconds at a time...the exercise physiologist I learned from said you can injure yourself stretching for several minutes at a time...that it is better to do 30 seconds to 1 minute several times through out the day...do any two professionals agree about anything!)anyway...I had been doing that exact stretch for years as part of my daily stretching routine AND I GOT PF ANYWAY! Go figure.