Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

relief seems to be in sight ( or feel I should say)

Posted by caryne on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013991)

Believe it or not my feet seem to be getting much better all of a sudden..It's been a little over a year since I was struck down with this ugly thing. I really think the cam-walker (walking cast) helped me the most because it rested that bad heel. I'm in orthodics now for the last two weeks and I'm finally feeling better just over the last 3 days. You name it and I've tried it..shots, p/t, stretching, casting, etc. More than likely it was the rest that helped. So hang in there and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping that this isn't just a temporay reprieve but the real thing.

Re: relief seems to be in sight ( or feel I should say)

john h on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013992)

i am definitely better than i was a year ago but do not understand why i can go for 2 weeks and be about 80% and then for no reason have a step backwards (both feet). i cannot connect it to any increased activity or shoe wear. i sense it could be weather releated but that is just speculation.

Beth D. on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013995)

I wonder the same thing John h. Yesterday it started raining where I am in PA. Since then, my feet have both been what I call inflamed-very, very warm. I wonder if it's some type of arthritis. Stretching doesn't seem to help.

Beth

rekha.s on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (014007)

Caryne...I am so happy for you....it must feel great! hope youre a 100% in no time!!! :-)

Elise M. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014010)

Hi All,
Having been in the medical profession my whole life, I've spent a lot of time around people who chronically said that the weather affected their bones. I, not sharing this same problem, didn't give their complaints too much credence. UNTIL, I had shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff...now I can tell you in advance that the humidity in the air is changing. I was told by a doctor once that the bones swell just like wood does when exposed to changing humidity. Having nothing else to go on, I tend to believe this theory.I too, have some really good days, then have a real bad day or two. I have been able to link it to weather, because nothing else in my daily routine has changed. So now instead of getting up and watching the weather, I've learned that all I have to do is put my feet through their usual morning workout. If it feels good, the day will be fine, if not, then we're probably gonna have rain/snow. I have also noticed that if it gets extremely cold and I spend enough time outside in the cold, that my heels get sore quicker.That is one reason why ice doesn't work for me. And todays outlook is...........
El.

Lee H on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014011)

That is the one thing about PF that drives me most crazy, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Weather sometimes plays a part, but most times I have no idea why I am having a good day or an extremely bad one.

john a on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014012)

You say a doctor told you that the bones swell just like wood does when exposed to changing humidity. That truly sounds like nonsense to me (no offense meant to you, but only to your doctor!). The bones are never exposed to air. They are encased in a highly humid, body temperature sack of muscle and skin (and doubtless other gunk). I could see how they could be affected by changes in temperature, but not humidity. But what do I know...'I am not a doctor' :-)

Elise M. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014013)

Dear John,
I too thought it sounded ridiculous, but for the sake of explaining why people complain about their bones when the humidity increases it sounded possible. Who knows? There is so much still unknown about the human body. The full moon and gravitational pull have effects on the body seeing whereas the body is 70-75%water. So, until they can come up with a better explanation of why the body aches with changes, we're still all guessing...............El

alan k on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014016)

My feet are inhabited by tiny weevils, and my doctors don't seem concerned.

john a on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014020)

I hate to break it to you, but the moon's effect on humans is just another myth. See http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_337.html
'The Strait Dope' column and books by Cecil Adams, make quite interesting reading.

Elise M. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014025)

Dear John,
Work one night in any nursing home or hospital on this earth and you'll change your mind. Birth rates, crime rates and increased confusion always surround the moons phases. Unless you've been in an area to witness it, you wouldn't believe it. El.

john a on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014026)

I know you believe it, but all I can do is quote from the aforementioned link: 'So how do we explain all those cops and emergency room nurses who believe in the lunar effect? Easy. Nobody notices when there's a full moon and nothing happens--you only notice when something does happen. In other words, heads I win, tails don't count. Case closed.'.

Just to keep this related to PF, a similar but different idea probably explains the numerous and various rave postings about miracle-like cures for PF: the remedy you were trying when the PF just happened to get better on its own is the one you think cured you. Another poster recently said the same thing.

Elise M. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014027)

Dear John,
I'm glad I'm not as skeptical as you when it comes to this PF or anything else for that matter. You sound very angry and disturbed with some of the things you find in this room. Maybe a side effect of living with chronic pain, maybe not. However, you have your beliefs, I have mine. Let's agree to disagree without being disagreeable. Life is too short for arguing.. Hope you're feeling better. El

VLJ on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014030)

So, John, you're more pragmatic than some of us, but just because you 'believe' one thing (or expert) over another, don't go trying to tell the rest of us what we 'believe' is untrue, 'another myth', etc....if there is anything that PF has taught those of us who have had it for a while and have tried everything in the book 'WHAT WORKS (READ: 'TRUE') FOR SOME PEOPLE DOESN'T (READ: 'IS FALSE') FOR OTHERS. There is nothing that is more annoying to me than someone who goes around trying to debunk other's experiences...especially the ones you took aim at. YOu can disbelieve everything you want to, but don't debunk what others know from personal experience.

Re: relief seems to be in sight ( or feel I should say)--to Alan

Nancy S. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014032)

Oh Alan, that's so sad and funny. Maybe your doctors dont care yet, but we do. I've never had much reason to be a doctor-doubter until now. Ever since I found this site, each day I remember something about my fired podiatrist that I just let fly out the window at the time and now pisses me off for 24 hours, and more. Today's memory is: He charged me $300 for orthotics, and when they were ready his office called to make an appt. for me. I thought 'Oh good, he's going to really talk to me about them and help me.' But no! I waited half an hour in the waiting room for a young, inexperienced staffer to call me into an exam room, hand me the orthotics, spend 30 seconds giving me instructions that were already printed right on the bag they came in, and send me out to pay my $15 co-pay for this supposed 'office visit.' I had to pay to pick up my orthotics! What a racket!
Yesterday's annoying memory was of the day I received my night splint. Another young, inexperienced staffer 'fitted' it on me -- poorly, I think, in retrospect. As I sat on the exam table after she put it on, my splinted foot dangled as far down as my unsplinted foot. I think I've been wearing it too loose for six months. Gee, I've just thought of tomorrow's bad memory: I told the pod at one point that I was using a cane because the pain was so bad, and asked him if that was ok. He shrugged and said, 'Might alter your gait.' This, after I'd been limping for 4 months. Did he think limping didn't alter my gait??? My gait is better with the cane than without, I discovered. Well, I hope the holidays distract us all from the pain and we have a sweet reprieve.

john a on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014033)

Oh for pete's sake! There is nothing more annoying to _me_ than people who get offended when someone else questions their beliefs. Excuse me for speaking my mind. From now on, I'll only say things that agree with everything everyone says. :-(

john h on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014038)

vlj: i apologize if i offended you. i respect everyones opinion and recognize i am no authority. i only try to put out information from my own personal experience which includes open pf surgery, tarsal tunnel release, and a hallux limitus procedure in august. in the final analysis each of us must make 'our own choice' based on information. i would never advise anyone to do what i did but only through out my experiece for you to use in the mix.

Re: relief seems to be in sight ( or feel I should say)-- Ok, Time Out

Nancy S. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014039)

I'm quite irritable today myself, and you all sound it too. I think there should be room for everyone to speak his or her mind, to argue for one's beliefs, to question other beliefs. I also notice that one problem with the written word is that readers don't have the benefit of seeing the writer's facial expressions, hearing the tone of voice, etc. All of us who write here should keep that in mind -- sometimes things can come across more harshly in writing than perhaps was intended, so we need to listen to how our words might sound to the recipient. I suspect there is miscommunication going on here because of these things; I hope you'll continue to try to understand one another, still say what you feel needs to be said, and then kiss and make up. We all need to tell the truth, but we also need PF friends. -- Nancy S.

Steve L. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014043)

My God, what have I strolled into here?!?! Too much animus here. Thank
you, Alan, for helping to keep this in perspective. I personally cannot account for what inhabits my Being, but I am hopeful that weevils are not in the mix! Elise, you make some very good points, as I have noticed is your gift. My wish for this board is that we move forward without hanging up on the pain that sometimes limits our ability to remain receptive to others' input. God bless you all this holiday season, and let's keep our chins up in spite of our difficulties.

Respectfully, Steve

Re: relief seems to be in sight Booga, Booga ( or feel I should say)--to Alan

Bea K on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014046)

Why do I feel that I just walked into Neverland? Are we adult or what. Too many old wives tales and belief in the impossible. I think the painis getting to us all. Anyway, try for a happy holiday everyone.

john a on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014055)

Ha! :-) your podiatrist must have gone to the same school of bedside manner as mine! Your experience is almost exactly the same as mine: $400 orthotics; they came in a little platic bag with half a page of instructions; the 'assistant' 'fitted' them (read: put them in my shoes); the podiatrist came in, looked at them for a few seconds, told me to 'follow the instructions', and said goodbye! The only consolation in my case was that he didn't charge me the $15 copay. (But that hardly makes up for the three times he tried to bill me for copays I had alread paid!)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: this podiatrist had his office on the _second_ floor of a building it is alomost _impossible_ to park close to, and his exam rooms had hard, ice cold tile floors with no rugs, padding or anything that might possibly provide some comfort to patients with painful feet!

Nancy S. on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014057)

It's hard to believe that podiatrists like ours are performing Surgery, when they're so careless about other aspects of treatment! Hopefully I'll stop thinking about it when I see the next dr. (osteopath in January). Weren't you lucky though that they placed the orthotics in your shoes FOR you, as if you couldn't have. Where are their priorities. Well, there must be good ones out there, have to keep searching till I find one. Unfortunately my insurance is canceling its coverage in my state as of Feb. 2 -- don' know if I'll find anything else affordable. At least I know and am doing now good things I've learned from this site.

john h on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013992)

i am definitely better than i was a year ago but do not understand why i can go for 2 weeks and be about 80% and then for no reason have a step backwards (both feet). i cannot connect it to any increased activity or shoe wear. i sense it could be weather releated but that is just speculation.

Beth D. on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (013995)

I wonder the same thing John h. Yesterday it started raining where I am in PA. Since then, my feet have both been what I call inflamed-very, very warm. I wonder if it's some type of arthritis. Stretching doesn't seem to help.

Beth

rekha.s on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (014007)

Caryne...I am so happy for you....it must feel great! hope youre a 100% in no time!!! :-)

Elise M. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014010)

Hi All,
Having been in the medical profession my whole life, I've spent a lot of time around people who chronically said that the weather affected their bones. I, not sharing this same problem, didn't give their complaints too much credence. UNTIL, I had shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff...now I can tell you in advance that the humidity in the air is changing. I was told by a doctor once that the bones swell just like wood does when exposed to changing humidity. Having nothing else to go on, I tend to believe this theory.I too, have some really good days, then have a real bad day or two. I have been able to link it to weather, because nothing else in my daily routine has changed. So now instead of getting up and watching the weather, I've learned that all I have to do is put my feet through their usual morning workout. If it feels good, the day will be fine, if not, then we're probably gonna have rain/snow. I have also noticed that if it gets extremely cold and I spend enough time outside in the cold, that my heels get sore quicker.That is one reason why ice doesn't work for me. And todays outlook is...........
El.

Lee H on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014011)

That is the one thing about PF that drives me most crazy, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Weather sometimes plays a part, but most times I have no idea why I am having a good day or an extremely bad one.

john a on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014012)

You say a doctor told you that the bones swell just like wood does when exposed to changing humidity. That truly sounds like nonsense to me (no offense meant to you, but only to your doctor!). The bones are never exposed to air. They are encased in a highly humid, body temperature sack of muscle and skin (and doubtless other gunk). I could see how they could be affected by changes in temperature, but not humidity. But what do I know...'I am not a doctor' :-)

Elise M. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014013)

Dear John,
I too thought it sounded ridiculous, but for the sake of explaining why people complain about their bones when the humidity increases it sounded possible. Who knows? There is so much still unknown about the human body. The full moon and gravitational pull have effects on the body seeing whereas the body is 70-75%water. So, until they can come up with a better explanation of why the body aches with changes, we're still all guessing...............El

alan k on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014016)

My feet are inhabited by tiny weevils, and my doctors don't seem concerned.

john a on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014020)

I hate to break it to you, but the moon's effect on humans is just another myth. See http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_337.html
'The Strait Dope' column and books by Cecil Adams, make quite interesting reading.

Elise M. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014025)

Dear John,
Work one night in any nursing home or hospital on this earth and you'll change your mind. Birth rates, crime rates and increased confusion always surround the moons phases. Unless you've been in an area to witness it, you wouldn't believe it. El.

john a on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014026)

I know you believe it, but all I can do is quote from the aforementioned link: 'So how do we explain all those cops and emergency room nurses who believe in the lunar effect? Easy. Nobody notices when there's a full moon and nothing happens--you only notice when something does happen. In other words, heads I win, tails don't count. Case closed.'.

Just to keep this related to PF, a similar but different idea probably explains the numerous and various rave postings about miracle-like cures for PF: the remedy you were trying when the PF just happened to get better on its own is the one you think cured you. Another poster recently said the same thing.

Elise M. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014027)

Dear John,
I'm glad I'm not as skeptical as you when it comes to this PF or anything else for that matter. You sound very angry and disturbed with some of the things you find in this room. Maybe a side effect of living with chronic pain, maybe not. However, you have your beliefs, I have mine. Let's agree to disagree without being disagreeable. Life is too short for arguing.. Hope you're feeling better. El

VLJ on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014030)

So, John, you're more pragmatic than some of us, but just because you 'believe' one thing (or expert) over another, don't go trying to tell the rest of us what we 'believe' is untrue, 'another myth', etc....if there is anything that PF has taught those of us who have had it for a while and have tried everything in the book 'WHAT WORKS (READ: 'TRUE') FOR SOME PEOPLE DOESN'T (READ: 'IS FALSE') FOR OTHERS. There is nothing that is more annoying to me than someone who goes around trying to debunk other's experiences...especially the ones you took aim at. YOu can disbelieve everything you want to, but don't debunk what others know from personal experience.

Nancy S. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014032)

Oh Alan, that's so sad and funny. Maybe your doctors dont care yet, but we do. I've never had much reason to be a doctor-doubter until now. Ever since I found this site, each day I remember something about my fired podiatrist that I just let fly out the window at the time and now pisses me off for 24 hours, and more. Today's memory is: He charged me $300 for orthotics, and when they were ready his office called to make an appt. for me. I thought 'Oh good, he's going to really talk to me about them and help me.' But no! I waited half an hour in the waiting room for a young, inexperienced staffer to call me into an exam room, hand me the orthotics, spend 30 seconds giving me instructions that were already printed right on the bag they came in, and send me out to pay my $15 co-pay for this supposed 'office visit.' I had to pay to pick up my orthotics! What a racket!
Yesterday's annoying memory was of the day I received my night splint. Another young, inexperienced staffer 'fitted' it on me -- poorly, I think, in retrospect. As I sat on the exam table after she put it on, my splinted foot dangled as far down as my unsplinted foot. I think I've been wearing it too loose for six months. Gee, I've just thought of tomorrow's bad memory: I told the pod at one point that I was using a cane because the pain was so bad, and asked him if that was ok. He shrugged and said, 'Might alter your gait.' This, after I'd been limping for 4 months. Did he think limping didn't alter my gait??? My gait is better with the cane than without, I discovered. Well, I hope the holidays distract us all from the pain and we have a sweet reprieve.

john a on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014033)

Oh for pete's sake! There is nothing more annoying to _me_ than people who get offended when someone else questions their beliefs. Excuse me for speaking my mind. From now on, I'll only say things that agree with everything everyone says. :-(

john h on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014038)

vlj: i apologize if i offended you. i respect everyones opinion and recognize i am no authority. i only try to put out information from my own personal experience which includes open pf surgery, tarsal tunnel release, and a hallux limitus procedure in august. in the final analysis each of us must make 'our own choice' based on information. i would never advise anyone to do what i did but only through out my experiece for you to use in the mix.

Re: relief seems to be in sight ( or feel I should say)-- Ok, Time Out

Nancy S. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014039)

I'm quite irritable today myself, and you all sound it too. I think there should be room for everyone to speak his or her mind, to argue for one's beliefs, to question other beliefs. I also notice that one problem with the written word is that readers don't have the benefit of seeing the writer's facial expressions, hearing the tone of voice, etc. All of us who write here should keep that in mind -- sometimes things can come across more harshly in writing than perhaps was intended, so we need to listen to how our words might sound to the recipient. I suspect there is miscommunication going on here because of these things; I hope you'll continue to try to understand one another, still say what you feel needs to be said, and then kiss and make up. We all need to tell the truth, but we also need PF friends. -- Nancy S.

Steve L. on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014043)

My God, what have I strolled into here?!?! Too much animus here. Thank
you, Alan, for helping to keep this in perspective. I personally cannot account for what inhabits my Being, but I am hopeful that weevils are not in the mix! Elise, you make some very good points, as I have noticed is your gift. My wish for this board is that we move forward without hanging up on the pain that sometimes limits our ability to remain receptive to others' input. God bless you all this holiday season, and let's keep our chins up in spite of our difficulties.

Respectfully, Steve

Re: relief seems to be in sight Booga, Booga ( or feel I should say)--to Alan

Bea K on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014046)

Why do I feel that I just walked into Neverland? Are we adult or what. Too many old wives tales and belief in the impossible. I think the painis getting to us all. Anyway, try for a happy holiday everyone.

john a on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014055)

Ha! :-) your podiatrist must have gone to the same school of bedside manner as mine! Your experience is almost exactly the same as mine: $400 orthotics; they came in a little platic bag with half a page of instructions; the 'assistant' 'fitted' them (read: put them in my shoes); the podiatrist came in, looked at them for a few seconds, told me to 'follow the instructions', and said goodbye! The only consolation in my case was that he didn't charge me the $15 copay. (But that hardly makes up for the three times he tried to bill me for copays I had alread paid!)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: this podiatrist had his office on the _second_ floor of a building it is alomost _impossible_ to park close to, and his exam rooms had hard, ice cold tile floors with no rugs, padding or anything that might possibly provide some comfort to patients with painful feet!

Nancy S. on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014057)

It's hard to believe that podiatrists like ours are performing Surgery, when they're so careless about other aspects of treatment! Hopefully I'll stop thinking about it when I see the next dr. (osteopath in January). Weren't you lucky though that they placed the orthotics in your shoes FOR you, as if you couldn't have. Where are their priorities. Well, there must be good ones out there, have to keep searching till I find one. Unfortunately my insurance is canceling its coverage in my state as of Feb. 2 -- don' know if I'll find anything else affordable. At least I know and am doing now good things I've learned from this site.