Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery for plantar fasciitis

Posted by ColleenG on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (014001)

I am 22 years old and had a partial release for my plantar fasciitis last month. I am not a ruuner nor am I overweight. My problem is that I am flat footed. Anyway,I've been weight baring now for almost two weeks. I still have pain in my heel in the morning although it does feel different than it did before the surgery. I also have pain on the outside of my ankle as well as up the back of my ankle. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.
Colleen

Re: surgery for plantar fasciitis

Karen K on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (014004)

Colleen, I have also had surgery (twice)and been left with simular pain both times. I found success with physical therapy 2x a week for about eight weeks. It consisted of electrictal stimulation, ultrasound, stretching, whirlpool, massage, ball rolling and toe towel scrunching. My feet went back to feeling the same way they did pre surg. Good Luck.
Karen

alan k on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014017)

I would bring this up with as many health practicioners as possible.

You don't want to develop complications like achiles tendonitis (which sounds possible from what you say) or tarsal tunnel syndrome.

I hope there is a wise regimen of gentle rehabilitation that they have you on, or if not, that you can find out what you need, and what yu need to avoid.

I myself, though, have no idea. Just concerned for you...

alan k

john h on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014022)

coleen: did you have conventional or endoscopic surgery? do you know what percentage of fascia was released?

ColleenG on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014031)

I had conventional surgery and it was a partial release. I also had a nerve release.

john h on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014035)

colleen: i had conventional surgery and a release along with a tarsal tunnel release on 23 august. i have had various wierd pains since mostly around the tarsal tunnel incision. howerver, at this point (4 months post surgery) i am better than before surgery. i still have good periods and bad periods not connected to any particular activity. yesterday i walked 2 miles around an indoor track and did the same today. same pain but i could not walk 2 miles 5 months ago. it is going to take you a year to find out the final results of your surgery. you will probably have wierd pains and ups and downs but think positive. i still ice, stretch, take anti-inflamatories and wear an inexpensive half insert ($20). i also wear birk sandals around the house. i still have dreams of running a 5k or 10k race someday once again. it is only a dream but hey dreams sometimes come true.

ColleenG on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014042)

John,

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I have custom orthotics, but they are quite uncomfortable. They aren't soft enough. They are so hard that it feels like I am walking on cement. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I am going to ask him if there is a way to make them softer or if new ones can be made. Did you have physical therapy after the surgery? Just wondering what someone went through after their surgery. Thanks.

Colleen

john h on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014063)

i had no physical therpy after surgery. i personally massaged the adhesions around the incision with vitamin e cream each night. i massaged rather vigorously.

Karen K on 12/21/99 at 00:00 (014004)

Colleen, I have also had surgery (twice)and been left with simular pain both times. I found success with physical therapy 2x a week for about eight weeks. It consisted of electrictal stimulation, ultrasound, stretching, whirlpool, massage, ball rolling and toe towel scrunching. My feet went back to feeling the same way they did pre surg. Good Luck.
Karen

alan k on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014017)

I would bring this up with as many health practicioners as possible.

You don't want to develop complications like achiles tendonitis (which sounds possible from what you say) or tarsal tunnel syndrome.

I hope there is a wise regimen of gentle rehabilitation that they have you on, or if not, that you can find out what you need, and what yu need to avoid.

I myself, though, have no idea. Just concerned for you...

alan k

john h on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014022)

coleen: did you have conventional or endoscopic surgery? do you know what percentage of fascia was released?

ColleenG on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014031)

I had conventional surgery and it was a partial release. I also had a nerve release.

john h on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014035)

colleen: i had conventional surgery and a release along with a tarsal tunnel release on 23 august. i have had various wierd pains since mostly around the tarsal tunnel incision. howerver, at this point (4 months post surgery) i am better than before surgery. i still have good periods and bad periods not connected to any particular activity. yesterday i walked 2 miles around an indoor track and did the same today. same pain but i could not walk 2 miles 5 months ago. it is going to take you a year to find out the final results of your surgery. you will probably have wierd pains and ups and downs but think positive. i still ice, stretch, take anti-inflamatories and wear an inexpensive half insert ($20). i also wear birk sandals around the house. i still have dreams of running a 5k or 10k race someday once again. it is only a dream but hey dreams sometimes come true.

ColleenG on 12/22/99 at 00:00 (014042)

John,

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I have custom orthotics, but they are quite uncomfortable. They aren't soft enough. They are so hard that it feels like I am walking on cement. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I am going to ask him if there is a way to make them softer or if new ones can be made. Did you have physical therapy after the surgery? Just wondering what someone went through after their surgery. Thanks.

Colleen

john h on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014063)

i had no physical therpy after surgery. i personally massaged the adhesions around the incision with vitamin e cream each night. i massaged rather vigorously.