Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I had the spur removed and 2/3 release

Posted by LoriS on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014053)

8 months ago this Monday, I had my huge heel spur removed and 2/3 release of the PF ligament. Was off my foot for 2 weeks as the Dr. said my heel was weakened from the removal of the spur. In the 10 years I've had spurs on both heels, the touching of the spur never hurt. From what I hear, the spur is caused by the PF ligament being so tight that it 'pulls' a calcium like deposit from the heel and causes the heel spur. Of course, there are different opinions on that idea. My Dr. felt it was important to remove the spur and release the ligament. He said I should have recovery 6- months to a year. After 6 months, I finally was able to step in the AM without severe pain. Now I hardly ice anymore and my foot feels much better. I had accupuncture on my other foot and the spur and ligament is not causing any pain on that foot anymore. As I've said on this board many times, please try accupuncture first before surgery. Surgery is a LAST resort and doesn't always work.
Lori in AZ

Re: I had the spur removed and 2/3 release

Dan W on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014087)

Dear Lori, just curious as to how you knew that you had heelspurs for so long?

Re: I had the spur removed and 2/3 release

Dan W on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014087)

Dear Lori, just curious as to how you knew that you had heelspurs for so long?