Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Venting !!!!!!!!!

Posted by Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014058)

Hi to everyone,I just got out of my walking cast a week ago and to tell you the truth I miss it because when I worn the cast the pain was'nt as bad.I just got my orthotics and now I can say they are not as painful as they first were.I know everything takes time.I am still in pt and it seems to help with the morning pain.I suppose to go back to work Jan 5 2000, I have been off for 3 months as of today I don't think I can go back on that date.I see my podiatrist next tue.I want to go back to work but I am a bartender and work 8 to 10 hours a night with no breaks and they don't care that I have pf they don't even know whay pf is.finally I am seeing some improvement with my feet and I am so scared I am going to go back to how It was.I now went from a 10 + to about a 6.Thank you all for letting me vent .This is the only place I have to turn to that I know you all understand how I feel .I think everything has hit me and to much time to think about my poor feet.Merry Christmas to all and pain free .Laurie R

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!! part 2

Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014059)

Hi sorry but I forgot to say that also my pt says now that I got my orthotics to stop babying my foot,also my husband says I need to stop babying my foot too.Do you think I should just think that my foot is normal and go on.In the past my foot has felt better then I would do the normal stuff and BAM! here comes all that pain again!!!! Laurie R

Colleen G on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014067)

Laurie,

I had surgery in November. Like you I am on my feet 10 hours a day. I am a special education teacher and the coordinator of an after school program for developmentally disabled children ages 7-18. My job requires a lot of lifting. Never a minute to sit. I just went to my doctor today. He said that the pains I have in my ankle and across the top of my foot is a result of babying my foot. He gave me some exercises and told me that it is a slow healing process.

I have been out of the cam walker boot for almost two weeks now. The first four days were rough, but each day is getting easier. Hang in there. My doc told me to do as much as I can. The more I do the better. Good luck!! Happy Holidays!!

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!!

Dan W on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014086)

Dear Laurie, I too loved to work. There was nothing more important to me than my job. The problem is that it is causing your problems. Stop it, its not as important as your feet! Dont be like me, six years of pain, before they gave out completely. Dont force them, when you feel the pain get off of them. Go on disability. Baby them, dont let anyone tell you differently. The pain has decreased as your weight bearing has decreased, cause and effect. Now, go and soak them in hot epsom salts. I hope Ive convinced you to listen to your pain.

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!!RE Dan W

Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014089)

Thanks Dan,That was so sweet and you are so right !!!!!Enjoy your Christmas. Laurie R

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!!To Dan W

Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014090)

Hi Dan, Thanks that was so sweet.You are so right and I will listen to you .Laurie R enjoy your Christmas.

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!! and disability????

Elise M. on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014094)

Dear Dan,
Please tell me how to get started attempting to claim disability. I've been out of work now for quite a while but I'm not considered disabled. Is there a trick to it? Any info you can offer would be most sincerely appreciated. While I'd prefer not to be disabled and depressed, being poor and depressed is more depressing.
El.

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!! and disability????RE Elise

Laurie R on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014096)

Hi Elise,Maybe I can help you.I have been on workmans comp since I have had pf,see i twisted my foot at work and I have been off work for a little over 3 months.The first doctor I went to put me back to work then when I went to my podiatrist my biggest fear was that he also would make me go back to work but, that was'nt what happen he gave me a month off pt and a walking cast and told me to stay off my foot.Anyways you need to tell your doctor that you can't work due to pf he or she needs to put you on disability.You are entitled to get disability from your state.If I can help you in any way please let me know.Laurie R

Dan W on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014099)

Dear Elise, Laurie is right, You must get on your state disability, having your doctor sign the paperwork. After that you need to read about the laws in your state, governing the workers compensation benefits. Then if you are depressed about your disability, you must go to a psychiatrist to get qualified for social security down the road. PF is an insidious disability with no one really knowing how to treat it, or cure it. I know that my job caused most of it, with a lot of negligence, or ignorance on the part of my HMO, and doctors. With this in mind, good luck to you and happy holidays.

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!! and disability???? Thanks Laurie,

Elise M. on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014100)

Dear Laurie,
Thanks for responding...I have come to the conclusion that going back to work is not in the near future for me. I have been dealing with PF since June and at the time, did not know what it was. I thought it would go away and didn't believe that it was work related. If for one second I thought that my job was responsible for this condition, I would've gone out on Workers Comp. I've fed into the system all these years, it's time for me to reap some of the benefit, especially considering that I can't work right now. Being out of work is not a nice option, but the money could sure take some of the edge off of my family right now. Thanks for the help, God bless...El.

Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014059)

Hi sorry but I forgot to say that also my pt says now that I got my orthotics to stop babying my foot,also my husband says I need to stop babying my foot too.Do you think I should just think that my foot is normal and go on.In the past my foot has felt better then I would do the normal stuff and BAM! here comes all that pain again!!!! Laurie R

Colleen G on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014067)

Laurie,

I had surgery in November. Like you I am on my feet 10 hours a day. I am a special education teacher and the coordinator of an after school program for developmentally disabled children ages 7-18. My job requires a lot of lifting. Never a minute to sit. I just went to my doctor today. He said that the pains I have in my ankle and across the top of my foot is a result of babying my foot. He gave me some exercises and told me that it is a slow healing process.

I have been out of the cam walker boot for almost two weeks now. The first four days were rough, but each day is getting easier. Hang in there. My doc told me to do as much as I can. The more I do the better. Good luck!! Happy Holidays!!

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!!

Dan W on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014086)

Dear Laurie, I too loved to work. There was nothing more important to me than my job. The problem is that it is causing your problems. Stop it, its not as important as your feet! Dont be like me, six years of pain, before they gave out completely. Dont force them, when you feel the pain get off of them. Go on disability. Baby them, dont let anyone tell you differently. The pain has decreased as your weight bearing has decreased, cause and effect. Now, go and soak them in hot epsom salts. I hope Ive convinced you to listen to your pain.

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!!RE Dan W

Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014089)

Thanks Dan,That was so sweet and you are so right !!!!!Enjoy your Christmas. Laurie R

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!!To Dan W

Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014090)

Hi Dan, Thanks that was so sweet.You are so right and I will listen to you .Laurie R enjoy your Christmas.

Elise M. on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014094)

Dear Dan,
Please tell me how to get started attempting to claim disability. I've been out of work now for quite a while but I'm not considered disabled. Is there a trick to it? Any info you can offer would be most sincerely appreciated. While I'd prefer not to be disabled and depressed, being poor and depressed is more depressing.
El.

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!! and disability????RE Elise

Laurie R on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014096)

Hi Elise,Maybe I can help you.I have been on workmans comp since I have had pf,see i twisted my foot at work and I have been off work for a little over 3 months.The first doctor I went to put me back to work then when I went to my podiatrist my biggest fear was that he also would make me go back to work but, that was'nt what happen he gave me a month off pt and a walking cast and told me to stay off my foot.Anyways you need to tell your doctor that you can't work due to pf he or she needs to put you on disability.You are entitled to get disability from your state.If I can help you in any way please let me know.Laurie R

Dan W on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014099)

Dear Elise, Laurie is right, You must get on your state disability, having your doctor sign the paperwork. After that you need to read about the laws in your state, governing the workers compensation benefits. Then if you are depressed about your disability, you must go to a psychiatrist to get qualified for social security down the road. PF is an insidious disability with no one really knowing how to treat it, or cure it. I know that my job caused most of it, with a lot of negligence, or ignorance on the part of my HMO, and doctors. With this in mind, good luck to you and happy holidays.

Re: Venting !!!!!!!!! and disability???? Thanks Laurie,

Elise M. on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014100)

Dear Laurie,
Thanks for responding...I have come to the conclusion that going back to work is not in the near future for me. I have been dealing with PF since June and at the time, did not know what it was. I thought it would go away and didn't believe that it was work related. If for one second I thought that my job was responsible for this condition, I would've gone out on Workers Comp. I've fed into the system all these years, it's time for me to reap some of the benefit, especially considering that I can't work right now. Being out of work is not a nice option, but the money could sure take some of the edge off of my family right now. Thanks for the help, God bless...El.