Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do you call babying?

Posted by VLJ on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014071)

I guess I would say it all depends on what you call 'babying your foot'. Yes, you should exercise it, stretch it and use it, but you must ALWAYS listen to the pain.THose of us who tried (before we knew better) to 'walk through the pain' actually made it worse. Talk more to your PT about everything you feel in your foot and how to know what 'it is telling you'. And, for what it is worth, I find it a lot easier to stand to do my work as well as cooking, cleaning, washing dishes, grocery shopping, etc if I stand pigeon-toed. It really takes the stress of the inflammed area of my foot. I still have to remember to look at how I'm standing...it is taking a long time to retrain my automatic stance...but maybe it will be helpful to you to....but I do admit that I have never had to stand for 8 to 10 hours at a time. I wish you all the best and hope you can find a good solution to your dilemma.

Re: What do you call babying?

Colleen G on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014074)

The doctor means babying by walking pigeon toed because this can mess up a person's gait and cause more problems, such as tendonitis or problems with your hips, and knees. All the pain that I feel is related to me walking and standing pigeon toed. The doctor that I am seeing is the best in my area. He showed where I have some inflammation around the incision site. He showed me how he feels what feels. I can't believe the difference from before the surgery.

VLJ on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014076)

I guess all of this--once again---falls into the category of 'what works for one person is bad medicine for another'. My knees, hips and back have always been ultra sensitive to any change in my feet, gait, etc. Standing pigeon-toed has NOT given me other pains, only relieved the pain in my heels. After all, alot of what the doctors and pts tell us to do is just 'trial and error' on their part. But, they do know the particulars of the individual case, and if 'on the ball' will advise a specific set of excercises,etc. But they won't know if a particular stretch will be 'the one' for patient a or patient b...until the patient tries it and reports progress or regression. Case in point and as I said in an earlier post, the stretch recommended by one doctor to a patient as a 'natural cure' for foot pain is one I had been performing religiously for years and it did not prevent me from getting pf, nor does it help now like other stretches do. WE can only gather everyone's experiences and knowledge and then hope to find a professional who can help us problem solve and tailor our own regimen.

Re: What do you call babying?re babying

Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014077)

Hi guys,I do all my excercises and I stretch all the time.I think they mean by babying Is the way I walk when my foot hurts I limp and my pt and my podiatrist say I don't walk right see my feet go in alot and I need to try to put them the right way but if I am in pain there is'nt alot I can do.Plus after you get out of a cast for 10 weeks you do have to learn how to walk again. thanks Laurie R Happy holidays

SarahH on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014088)

I am a physical therapist. Walking pigeon toed can indeed cause problems with a persons hip and knees. Don't doubt someone elses opinion especially when you yourself are not a doctor or therapist!!

Elise M. on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014095)

Dear Sarah,
I say in advance that I respect your authority as a PT. I am a nurse. Walking pidgeon toed may indeed cause problems with hips, knees and back, but not walking at all (not walking at all due to pain) will play havoc with the cardio/pulmonary, circulatory and psyche. I have learned after 28 years of nursing that more times than not, all the education in the world does not make me smarter than the patient who has found something that works for him/her by listening to the bodies signals (something that cannot be accomplished by a professional outsider) We all come here in hopes of learning through each others experiences, successes and failures. We teach each other how to tune into the bodies language and pay attention. Trial and error as it is, it's all we've got right now. God bless and have a Merry Christmas...El.

VLJ on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014135)

You obviously didn't READ WHAT I WROTE. I wasn't doubting ANYONE'S opinion. I was merely stating that WHAT WORKS FOR SOME PEOPLE IS OF NOW USE AT ALL TO OTHERS. STANDING pigeon toed lets me get work done WITHOUT ANY BAD SIDE EFFECTS IN MY BACK, KNEES OR HIPS...so please stop telling me I'm hurtin myself...I am consulting with a doctor and pt folks about all this...and this is working for me...and IAM NOT PROMOTING IT AS A THERAPY FOR EVERYONE, I am merely reporting what helps me...OK??????

Colleen G on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014074)

The doctor means babying by walking pigeon toed because this can mess up a person's gait and cause more problems, such as tendonitis or problems with your hips, and knees. All the pain that I feel is related to me walking and standing pigeon toed. The doctor that I am seeing is the best in my area. He showed where I have some inflammation around the incision site. He showed me how he feels what feels. I can't believe the difference from before the surgery.

VLJ on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014076)

I guess all of this--once again---falls into the category of 'what works for one person is bad medicine for another'. My knees, hips and back have always been ultra sensitive to any change in my feet, gait, etc. Standing pigeon-toed has NOT given me other pains, only relieved the pain in my heels. After all, alot of what the doctors and pts tell us to do is just 'trial and error' on their part. But, they do know the particulars of the individual case, and if 'on the ball' will advise a specific set of excercises,etc. But they won't know if a particular stretch will be 'the one' for patient a or patient b...until the patient tries it and reports progress or regression. Case in point and as I said in an earlier post, the stretch recommended by one doctor to a patient as a 'natural cure' for foot pain is one I had been performing religiously for years and it did not prevent me from getting pf, nor does it help now like other stretches do. WE can only gather everyone's experiences and knowledge and then hope to find a professional who can help us problem solve and tailor our own regimen.

Re: What do you call babying?re babying

Laurie R on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014077)

Hi guys,I do all my excercises and I stretch all the time.I think they mean by babying Is the way I walk when my foot hurts I limp and my pt and my podiatrist say I don't walk right see my feet go in alot and I need to try to put them the right way but if I am in pain there is'nt alot I can do.Plus after you get out of a cast for 10 weeks you do have to learn how to walk again. thanks Laurie R Happy holidays

SarahH on 12/23/99 at 00:00 (014088)

I am a physical therapist. Walking pigeon toed can indeed cause problems with a persons hip and knees. Don't doubt someone elses opinion especially when you yourself are not a doctor or therapist!!

Elise M. on 12/24/99 at 00:00 (014095)

Dear Sarah,
I say in advance that I respect your authority as a PT. I am a nurse. Walking pidgeon toed may indeed cause problems with hips, knees and back, but not walking at all (not walking at all due to pain) will play havoc with the cardio/pulmonary, circulatory and psyche. I have learned after 28 years of nursing that more times than not, all the education in the world does not make me smarter than the patient who has found something that works for him/her by listening to the bodies signals (something that cannot be accomplished by a professional outsider) We all come here in hopes of learning through each others experiences, successes and failures. We teach each other how to tune into the bodies language and pay attention. Trial and error as it is, it's all we've got right now. God bless and have a Merry Christmas...El.

VLJ on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014135)

You obviously didn't READ WHAT I WROTE. I wasn't doubting ANYONE'S opinion. I was merely stating that WHAT WORKS FOR SOME PEOPLE IS OF NOW USE AT ALL TO OTHERS. STANDING pigeon toed lets me get work done WITHOUT ANY BAD SIDE EFFECTS IN MY BACK, KNEES OR HIPS...so please stop telling me I'm hurtin myself...I am consulting with a doctor and pt folks about all this...and this is working for me...and IAM NOT PROMOTING IT AS A THERAPY FOR EVERYONE, I am merely reporting what helps me...OK??????