Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A walk on the beach -- at last

Posted by Robin B. on 12/26/99 at 00:00 (014120)

One of my Christmas presents to myself was a 1.25 mile walk on the beach. It has been nearly 2 years since I have been able to walk without pain, and about a year and a half since I have walked at all.

So for Christmas, I went for a wonderful walk on the beach (I live in Florida where, even though it's cold, it's still sunny and great walking weather). I used to walk 4 or 5 miles every day before PF got me down so 1.25 miles is kind of meager, I admit -- but the truth is, I was just thrilled to pieces to be able to walk AT ALL without pain. One mile-plus is a big victory to me. In fact, I am going for another walk on the beach later today.

What has worked somewhat successfully for me is a steady diet of bromelain (and a high dosage I admit), a low carb diet that eliminates flour and wheat products, aerobic exercise every day -- and being the Birkenstock Queen. I just bought my 8th pair. It's too bad Birkenstock doesn't offer a retirement plan, since that's where most of my $$$$ goes these days. I also take vitamin C steady, but not in gargantuan amounts. Maybe 1500 mgs per day or a bit more.

Like many people who post on this board, I am far from cured. I still have a moderate sensation of tissue 'ripping' around my heels occasionally, and if I am on my feet too much, then indeed I do hurt. But I have been most fortunate in my battle with PF to find some non-invasive treatments that works ENOUGH for me to restore a substantial part of my life and allow me to do everyday maintenance activities without being in tears after each one. I am grateful for every ounce of progress and recovery I do experience.

I hope everyone on this board has a better New Year ahead, and can experience at least some degree of success in various treatment methods. For myself, I have found that the difference between feeling pretty disabled and in 24-hour pain, and between feeling that I can continue with everyday life and do what I need to do without significant pain, is unbelievably wonderful. If I never go back to walking 4 or 5 miles a day (or even a week), so be it. I'm just happy not to be in steady pain -- and I hope that my experience WITH it has taught me more consideration for those who suffer chronically.

I cannot urge people enough to give whatever treatment methods they try enough time. So often I will see people post here and say -- I've had PF for a year and a half -- and they then rattle off 10 or 12 different things they have tried. My immediate sense is -- that's not long enough for any one or two to kick in. I started taking glucosamine sulfate in Nov. or Dec. 1988; I really didn't get off of it until summertime 1999, when I decided it wasn't having good enough results to warrant continuation. Fortunately, Birks helped me right away -- but also, they got better and better overtime. As for the low carb routine, I was doing it for MANY months with no visible results at all. Then in the summer, I gave up flour and wheat and within a month that seemed to help considerably. The same for exercise -- it took a few months for the effects to really kick in. So, please, to all who are experimenting with their own self-directed treatment plans, don't give up any one method too soon. Find out how much time is generally needed to see results,and make sure you give it a fair shake. For many of us, PF took much longer than 4 or 6 weeks to develop, and individual methods of treatment may take at least that long, or longer, to kick in.

Re: A walk on the beach -- at last

john h on 12/26/99 at 00:00 (014124)

happy for you robin. 4 out of the past 5 days i walked 2 miles which is a big deal for me since i had not done that for a couple of years. some pain but not like it was. have my 4th accupunctue treatment tomorrow. do not know if this has anything to do with it or not since i try so many things (birks,ice,vioxx,stretching,etc.)

Re: A walk on the beach -- at last Thanks Robin

Marti C on 12/26/99 at 00:00 (014128)

Thank you ,Robin for sharing that. My feet have actually been doing better,but Ive been afraid to start the exercise program again. Fearing, this may cause a rebound effect of pain again. I think I will start slowly, and forget about keeping up with my old pace, those days are gone! Again, thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate, all of you!!!!!!!

Re: A walk on the beach -- at last

john h on 12/26/99 at 00:00 (014124)

happy for you robin. 4 out of the past 5 days i walked 2 miles which is a big deal for me since i had not done that for a couple of years. some pain but not like it was. have my 4th accupunctue treatment tomorrow. do not know if this has anything to do with it or not since i try so many things (birks,ice,vioxx,stretching,etc.)

Re: A walk on the beach -- at last Thanks Robin

Marti C on 12/26/99 at 00:00 (014128)

Thank you ,Robin for sharing that. My feet have actually been doing better,but Ive been afraid to start the exercise program again. Fearing, this may cause a rebound effect of pain again. I think I will start slowly, and forget about keeping up with my old pace, those days are gone! Again, thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate, all of you!!!!!!!