Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a night-splint smile

Posted by Nancy S. on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014132)

Have you noticed that chronic pain can bring on bouts of fuzzyheadedness? Last week I put the eggs into the freezer instead of the refrig. (I don't recommend it, either -- the yolks never thaw.)
While away for Christmas, I put my night splint on and had the darndest time doing it. Had to twist my body in odd ways, couldn't make the velcro stick, etc. Finally got it on and lay prone to read for a while in bed. But it felt different -- kept wondering why -- then realized I had put the splint on the wrong foot, after doing it right like a genius for 6 whole months.
My e-mail name is spice-tin; my husband is now calling me space-tin, and who can blame him.

Re: a night-splint smile

alan k on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014136)

I have read that a side-effect of candida albicans (yeast) overgrowth is fuzzy thinking and forgetfulness. Some pf sufferes also believe their condition is caused or excacerbated by yeast overgrowth, and have benefitted from diet changes.

I know you are joking around, but maybe there is something more to it?
When I was at my worst, I definitely was spaced out and almost unable to function in my job (which is as a professional thinker, of all unlikely things).

There is no question in my mind that a low-carb diet has made me mentally sharper-- though that is not necessarily proof of the yeast connection.

something to think about, though

alan k

Re: a night-splint smile--thanx, and Question About Wine

Nancy S. on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014151)

Thank you for snapping me to attention. I keep skimming over references to diet changes -- denial, I guess, not wanting to give up more than I already have with this condition. I am studying the message board tonight for help with this. One thing I find myself reluctant to give up is my usual two glasses of white wine nightly. Does anyone think that wine would nullify positive effects from other changes in diet (i.e., low carb)? Or does one have to go All The Way and be very strict? I lean toward trying moderate diet changes (no sugar--except for in the wine I guess!; no chips or other overworked snacks; only limited bread; lots of vegetables, tuna and other protein, some dairy). What do you think?

Re: a night-splint smile

alan k on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014136)

I have read that a side-effect of candida albicans (yeast) overgrowth is fuzzy thinking and forgetfulness. Some pf sufferes also believe their condition is caused or excacerbated by yeast overgrowth, and have benefitted from diet changes.

I know you are joking around, but maybe there is something more to it?
When I was at my worst, I definitely was spaced out and almost unable to function in my job (which is as a professional thinker, of all unlikely things).

There is no question in my mind that a low-carb diet has made me mentally sharper-- though that is not necessarily proof of the yeast connection.

something to think about, though

alan k

Re: a night-splint smile--thanx, and Question About Wine

Nancy S. on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014151)

Thank you for snapping me to attention. I keep skimming over references to diet changes -- denial, I guess, not wanting to give up more than I already have with this condition. I am studying the message board tonight for help with this. One thing I find myself reluctant to give up is my usual two glasses of white wine nightly. Does anyone think that wine would nullify positive effects from other changes in diet (i.e., low carb)? Or does one have to go All The Way and be very strict? I lean toward trying moderate diet changes (no sugar--except for in the wine I guess!; no chips or other overworked snacks; only limited bread; lots of vegetables, tuna and other protein, some dairy). What do you think?