Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping

Posted by melody on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014139)

I have only taped my foot a couple of times with very limited usccess. My physio advised me that I should not need to tape at all because iof my foot hurt that much I should not walk on it. I kow there is a lot of truth behind that but it is easier said than done! Anyway...back to the taping....I have followed Scotts pictures in the PF book and 'think' I have the tape in the right place. Should I expect the pain to diminish as soon as the tape is applied? It seems to help a little bit with walking but not an awful lot.

My foot is soooo painful at the moment that I am ready to actually amputate it! Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mel

Re: Taping

Mary Ann on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010357)

I couldn't tape my foot when I was having severe pain. It caused more pain and also sciatic pain. Since my pain is relieved a lot, but not entirely, I can tape and it helps a lot. It gives my arch more suppot even though I have custom orthotics.

Sue C on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014146)

My foot was professionally taped twice by the podiatrist's office. It did not help.

Laurie R on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014153)

Hi taping works well for me,my pt told me the reason is because I have a high arch.I will tell you if your foot is not taped right it will cause you more pain.good luck.Laurie R

Rick R on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015310)

Elise,

I'll try to make this clear and as concise as I can. First I apply vaseline to the top of my ankle and back of the achiles. Next I wrap a gauze around my ankle and foot like you would wrap a sprained ankle. Next comes the tape. I use 11 mil duct tape not to worry however, it never contacts the skin. I start by applying the tape in the arch and wrap from the inside around the foot once, then continue around the ankle once taking care not to get it too tight around the ankle. This initial wrap secures the gauze. Then continue around the foot three to four times wraping the arch in very tight near the heel. I pull so hard on the tape I occasionally break the tape. Be careful not to tape to far to the front of the foot but stay near the heel. If you get tired of paying good money for gauze or that yellow pre-wrap that they sell, use three paper towels all together in a row. Fold them lengthwise in half. This will just barely make it around my ankle. Also rather than vaseline to protect those pressure points, bag balm (for cow udders) is better for toughening up the skin.

This is a rather desperate measure that I resorted to after several years of PF. The doctor did it for me once and I felt no relief. It wasn't until I went to what I thought to be an extreme level of pressure that I found it to work. It sure isn't comfortable; the skin gets torn up for the first few months where it naturally wants to bend and crease. I still use this technique before any physical activity that involves even a slow trot. I broke my rules and shoveled snow this weekend without tape but I think I got away with it! Lot's of people with legitimate problems won't be ready to make the trade-offs that this measure entails. I think it was around the 9 year point that I threw caution to the wind and got crazy enough to try anything.

I have used this in conjunction with orthotics and other arch support methods. My best set-up (currently use for running) is to follow the tape with an ace bandage wrapped in a similar manner to wrap in a hard rubber arch support with some added pressure. I also manage to wrap in a gel type heel pad in the whole mess. I know that this going to be hard to follow please let me know if I have hit the mark or not. I'd be glad to clarify a point or take another stab at it altogether.

It's allways a pleasure to read the kind and thoughtfull words you have for people. You remain a constant level headed presence on this board. Good luck,

Rick

Mary Ann on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010357)

I couldn't tape my foot when I was having severe pain. It caused more pain and also sciatic pain. Since my pain is relieved a lot, but not entirely, I can tape and it helps a lot. It gives my arch more suppot even though I have custom orthotics.

Sue C on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014146)

My foot was professionally taped twice by the podiatrist's office. It did not help.

Laurie R on 12/27/99 at 00:00 (014153)

Hi taping works well for me,my pt told me the reason is because I have a high arch.I will tell you if your foot is not taped right it will cause you more pain.good luck.Laurie R

Rick R on 1/31/00 at 00:00 (015310)

Elise,

I'll try to make this clear and as concise as I can. First I apply vaseline to the top of my ankle and back of the achiles. Next I wrap a gauze around my ankle and foot like you would wrap a sprained ankle. Next comes the tape. I use 11 mil duct tape not to worry however, it never contacts the skin. I start by applying the tape in the arch and wrap from the inside around the foot once, then continue around the ankle once taking care not to get it too tight around the ankle. This initial wrap secures the gauze. Then continue around the foot three to four times wraping the arch in very tight near the heel. I pull so hard on the tape I occasionally break the tape. Be careful not to tape to far to the front of the foot but stay near the heel. If you get tired of paying good money for gauze or that yellow pre-wrap that they sell, use three paper towels all together in a row. Fold them lengthwise in half. This will just barely make it around my ankle. Also rather than vaseline to protect those pressure points, bag balm (for cow udders) is better for toughening up the skin.

This is a rather desperate measure that I resorted to after several years of PF. The doctor did it for me once and I felt no relief. It wasn't until I went to what I thought to be an extreme level of pressure that I found it to work. It sure isn't comfortable; the skin gets torn up for the first few months where it naturally wants to bend and crease. I still use this technique before any physical activity that involves even a slow trot. I broke my rules and shoveled snow this weekend without tape but I think I got away with it! Lot's of people with legitimate problems won't be ready to make the trade-offs that this measure entails. I think it was around the 9 year point that I threw caution to the wind and got crazy enough to try anything.

I have used this in conjunction with orthotics and other arch support methods. My best set-up (currently use for running) is to follow the tape with an ace bandage wrapped in a similar manner to wrap in a hard rubber arch support with some added pressure. I also manage to wrap in a gel type heel pad in the whole mess. I know that this going to be hard to follow please let me know if I have hit the mark or not. I'd be glad to clarify a point or take another stab at it altogether.

It's allways a pleasure to read the kind and thoughtfull words you have for people. You remain a constant level headed presence on this board. Good luck,

Rick