Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

diet advice

Posted by alan k on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014157)

I have researched this diet thing pretty thoroughly, and welcome any more questions.

I do not know if the yeast connection hypothesis is correct, but the diet treatment definitely increased my energy, clarity, and may have helped my feet (but I'm not sure what with trying so many things at the same time-- do see my food/pain recent post, though).

I have not kept strictly to the diet in one respect, and this speaks to your question: I drink coffee. The fact that I love coffee is a minor matter, as I am willing to do what it takes to beat this, and I suggest that you think through your priorities, and how much more happier pain free trotting around would make you as compared to the wine.

Now, to continue with my hypocrisy, I can't quit coffee because I simply cannot write and teach effectively without it. No coffee makes me peaceful and sane, and I need to be slightly crazy to write, which is a big part of my living. I have quit for months at a time to no avail-- I just can't do the work and that's that. And because of all the healing gadgets I have bought, I must work extra hard to pay for them.

So, I cheat. Also, I don't have stellar success with the diet. Maybe the two facts are related.

Wine is a fermented product, and sugary. It is a definite no-no. Also cheese (its moldy) and all milk products, all fermented products, and all wheat, rye, barley, and oats-- any grain with gluten in it.

At health food stores you can get bread made out of other gluten-free materials. Soy milk is great, but you have to adjust to it, and also find the kind without malt or other sweeteners.

My advice is one of two things: one, just try to stick to the diet faithfully for a few weeks. Especially, pay attention to the feeling in your feet in the first days up to two weeks, and report it here.

two: get a candida test, through a holistic health practicioner or nutritionist and do it only through Greater Smoky Labs. With a positive test for candida overgrowth you might have greater confidence to go ahead with the strict diet.

In either case, after strict dieting for a long time, and improvement, you can slowly work various things back into the diet, one at a time, to see if they effect you adversely. Perhaps the wine will work out in the long run after all. But you have to be willing to give it up in the short term.

good luck,

alan k

low-carb, yeast, xxx

Re: diet advice

Nancy S. on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014168)

Thanks, Alan. Please see my response to Robin for how I'm thinking of tackling this. Basically, my intake has been so high carb that I think reducing it in a big, if not total, way is going to be a worthwhile experiment. I'm glad you mentioned garlic -- love it, and should make many things more palatable. (How about onions?) Also, I winced when you mentioned stirring nothing into the tuna (I mean no mayo). Then I thought I'd try lemon juice with it. But I ended up opening a tuna can, tasting a bit with a fork straight out of the can, and snarfing down the whole thing without anything extra in it. And it tasted great! Its almost 6 p.m. and I haven't had that first glass of wine I'm usually sipping by now. (There's none in the house, either.) I'll catch you up in a few days when I'm firmly established on this new path. It probably won't be a do-or-die strict thing, but it will be much lower carb and I will be sticking to it for some time. That much I know. Hey, I agree that discipline can help the mind; and as you know, my mind needs help these days. So many of my disciplines became drowned in my sorrows of the last 8 months, I think. I see getting them back as a part of healing the PF -- not to mention new types of discpliine to attack this problem also. You have helped me think about this on a new level -- eating for energy and mental clarity -- and I thank you. I laughed about my night splint mistake, but the fogginess in general is really not very funny. -- Nancy S.

Re: diet advice

Nancy S. on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014168)

Thanks, Alan. Please see my response to Robin for how I'm thinking of tackling this. Basically, my intake has been so high carb that I think reducing it in a big, if not total, way is going to be a worthwhile experiment. I'm glad you mentioned garlic -- love it, and should make many things more palatable. (How about onions?) Also, I winced when you mentioned stirring nothing into the tuna (I mean no mayo). Then I thought I'd try lemon juice with it. But I ended up opening a tuna can, tasting a bit with a fork straight out of the can, and snarfing down the whole thing without anything extra in it. And it tasted great! Its almost 6 p.m. and I haven't had that first glass of wine I'm usually sipping by now. (There's none in the house, either.) I'll catch you up in a few days when I'm firmly established on this new path. It probably won't be a do-or-die strict thing, but it will be much lower carb and I will be sticking to it for some time. That much I know. Hey, I agree that discipline can help the mind; and as you know, my mind needs help these days. So many of my disciplines became drowned in my sorrows of the last 8 months, I think. I see getting them back as a part of healing the PF -- not to mention new types of discpliine to attack this problem also. You have helped me think about this on a new level -- eating for energy and mental clarity -- and I thank you. I laughed about my night splint mistake, but the fogginess in general is really not very funny. -- Nancy S.