Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A Funny Thing...

Posted by Renee A. on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014158)

I haven't posted in a while but I am back. A funny thing happened to me last week. I have tried almost everything to get relief for Pf. Last week I went to a formal Christmas party where I work. I wore a pair of shoes with a 3 inch heel for the first time in years. Afterward, knowing I was going to suffer greatly I was ready with ibuprofen, ice, etc. I took off my shoes and have not had any PF pain since. Has anyone else experienced this? It may come back with a vengenace but I am enjoying every pain free moment.

Re: A Funny Thing...

Carol on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014159)

I wrote about a month ago that my podiatrist told me to wear shoes with heels 1-1/2 to 3 inches. The heeled shoes stretch the p. fascia and also your weight is on the ball of your feet not the heel. I wear them most of the day now and have been getting along pretty well. I'm not totally pain free and have not even thought of running yet but at least I'm thankful I can do normal things again. About the same time I started wearing heels I also started taking Bromelain, Vioxx, SAM-e and lots of other vitamins. I also rely on the heating pad for 10 minutes in the a.m. along with stretching. Maybe it's the combination of things. Don't know, but I'm not planning to change any of the above for now.

L.ynn B on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014177)

I've had pf since March 1998 with no improvement. Last February I went to a crab feed and decided to dance knowing I would suffer in the morning. Well, I danced all night and my feet felt fine for two days...that's been the best two days in almost two years. Maybe there is something to be said for a contrary treatment.

Annette g on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014178)

yup..same thing happened to me around a month ago, I too wore three inch heels and was so worried that I was going to suffer, but I ended up dancing the whole night and my feet never felt better! and they even felt great the next day. I ended up posting the same kind of message as you just did, and some woman posted back saying that she cleans her house in her high heel shoes,it made me laugh so hard, but I tried it a few times, my feet felt good but it was way too aqward(I am pretty clumsey, plus I looked like a complete dope running around the house with my sweats on and a pair of high heels) At least we can look forward to a painless evening if we decide to dress up and put on our heels and go out!
hey good luck to you Rennee, Ihope that your feet start feeling good for you with and without the heels,
Annette

JulieP on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014179)

Two saturdays ago, after a day at a department store, I sat icing my feet at 4:00pm, dreading my work party at 6:30pm. By 8:00pm, dancing the meriengue(sp?),in my 3' heels with a couple glasses of wine under my belt, I tried not to think about the next day. To my suprise Sunday was really quite a good day. Every day I am not sure how or why the pain takes its path.
I am getting better!!! 10 months from my first early morning twinge and 3 months after seeing a orthopedic surgeon, 2 months after learning how to stretch from a physical therapist and regular visits for ultrasound, Ionto phoresis, massage(the best part) ;obgromh

Sue C on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014180)

I have tried top of the line Mephistos, clogs, and New Balance running shoes. All had a slight rise in the heel,but nothing much. I also have tried Birkenstocks and custom orthotics. I gave each at least a 2-3 mo trial. I too am wondering if a slightly higher heel could help. So I bought a pair of Easy Spirits with a two inch heel that has some 'give ' to it. They immeditately redistribute my weight more towards the ball of my foot. I will keep you posted if they're any benefit.

wendyW on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014202)

Scott, John (all of them), Alan, and the other guys should test this one for us....they could at least be objective!

Carol on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014159)

I wrote about a month ago that my podiatrist told me to wear shoes with heels 1-1/2 to 3 inches. The heeled shoes stretch the p. fascia and also your weight is on the ball of your feet not the heel. I wear them most of the day now and have been getting along pretty well. I'm not totally pain free and have not even thought of running yet but at least I'm thankful I can do normal things again. About the same time I started wearing heels I also started taking Bromelain, Vioxx, SAM-e and lots of other vitamins. I also rely on the heating pad for 10 minutes in the a.m. along with stretching. Maybe it's the combination of things. Don't know, but I'm not planning to change any of the above for now.

L.ynn B on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014177)

I've had pf since March 1998 with no improvement. Last February I went to a crab feed and decided to dance knowing I would suffer in the morning. Well, I danced all night and my feet felt fine for two days...that's been the best two days in almost two years. Maybe there is something to be said for a contrary treatment.

Annette g on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014178)

yup..same thing happened to me around a month ago, I too wore three inch heels and was so worried that I was going to suffer, but I ended up dancing the whole night and my feet never felt better! and they even felt great the next day. I ended up posting the same kind of message as you just did, and some woman posted back saying that she cleans her house in her high heel shoes,it made me laugh so hard, but I tried it a few times, my feet felt good but it was way too aqward(I am pretty clumsey, plus I looked like a complete dope running around the house with my sweats on and a pair of high heels) At least we can look forward to a painless evening if we decide to dress up and put on our heels and go out!
hey good luck to you Rennee, Ihope that your feet start feeling good for you with and without the heels,
Annette

JulieP on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014179)

Two saturdays ago, after a day at a department store, I sat icing my feet at 4:00pm, dreading my work party at 6:30pm. By 8:00pm, dancing the meriengue(sp?),in my 3' heels with a couple glasses of wine under my belt, I tried not to think about the next day. To my suprise Sunday was really quite a good day. Every day I am not sure how or why the pain takes its path.
I am getting better!!! 10 months from my first early morning twinge and 3 months after seeing a orthopedic surgeon, 2 months after learning how to stretch from a physical therapist and regular visits for ultrasound, Ionto phoresis, massage(the best part) ;obgromh

Sue C on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014180)

I have tried top of the line Mephistos, clogs, and New Balance running shoes. All had a slight rise in the heel,but nothing much. I also have tried Birkenstocks and custom orthotics. I gave each at least a 2-3 mo trial. I too am wondering if a slightly higher heel could help. So I bought a pair of Easy Spirits with a two inch heel that has some 'give ' to it. They immeditately redistribute my weight more towards the ball of my foot. I will keep you posted if they're any benefit.

wendyW on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014202)

Scott, John (all of them), Alan, and the other guys should test this one for us....they could at least be objective!