Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: about variations on low-carb

Posted by Robin B. on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014166)

If you search the archived messages on the board, you will find a great many posts about low carb diets and their influence on both PF and connective tissue disorders. There are some die-hard advocates, a few nasty debates and even a handful of wing-ding responses. You will find many people pro, many con -- a little of everything.

A MODERATELY low carb diet has definitely influenced my PF for the better. Specifically, however, I have eliminated all caffeine, wheat and flour products -- no pasta, no bread, no rolls, not even rice, brown or otherwise. I DO (to the chagrin of the die-hards I am sure) eats fruit, along with vegetables, plus protein of course. I have also eliminated diet soda to get rid of excess sodium.

I can tell you that I followed a typical low-carb diet for many months and saw not much benefit. Then one day I cut out grains and wheat, flour, all rice -- and that seemed to help me a lot.

It's boring as all get-out. Sometimes I think I will kill for a bagel or a sub. I am tired of making tuna-melts WITHOUT the bread -- yuch. However, today marks the 4th straight day that I have been able to walk at least a mile outside -- which I haven't done in almost 2 years. I figure I am getting better, and I think dietary changes deserve some of the credit. By the way, I do drink -- not a ton, but a few here and there. More than wine too. Haven't noticed any favorable or unfavorable impact based on liquor consumption.

My recommendation would be -- experiment. Anyone who has spent even a night reading past messages knows that what works for one, doesn't work for another. Set up a plan for yourself adding and eliminating those things you think may help or harm -- give it a few weeks and see how you are. PF takes time and patience -- plus creativity.

Nancy S. on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014167)

Thanks for your input, Robin. I actually have already searched this board and the archives for low-carb info (the research I tend to avoid is the kind where you buy twelve different books and drive yourself crazy). There are so many inconsistencies in people's opinions and experiences on this that it's fairly mindboggling. Today I searched the Web in general and of course found the same thing to be true. So I'm thinking of experimenting instead of following any one strict diet (I think they'd have to lock me in a room and slide trays under the door to get me to be Totally anything). I'm writing up a plan tonight that I will follow for several weeks, and then add or subtract as I feel is called for. Question: In all of your posts on this subject, I haven't seen you mention dairy - I'm interested to know about cheese in particular. Have you eliminated it? Thanks also for the alcohol comments. I'm going to give up the wine as a daily thing for the foreseeable future, but will allow myself a glass on social occasions. Thanks again for responding. I notice from your past posts that you have been very generous to newcomers. But again, I would like to know what you do about dairy/cheese. Congratulations on your walks! It must feel Wonderful.
-- Nancy S.

Robin B. on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014171)

Nancy, I eat dairy and have not noticed it to be a problem, although I think for many folks it IS a difficulty. I use skim milk and a reduced fat cheese, and I have an occasional yogurt too (when I want to splurge on carbohydrates). For me personally, I think the flour laden carbs were the worst -- I could probably live 95% on bread and pasta if left on my own, so it is hard to do without them. (I have perhaps one sandwich a week as my thrill -- some thrill.) On the other hand, I would eat nails if it would cure my PF.

I agree with your comments about the low carb issue on this board -- I got my patoot kicked in a couple of times for saying it wasn't helping me. But it wasn't at the time. Sometimes I have a problem when intolerance shows up here -- because I think PF is an extremely personalized condition and that there are many MANY shades of gray for each of us. What helps one person doesn't help another.

More than anything I get ticked off when people on the board become sarcastic, nasty, intolerant of different opinions, etc. For many many months, this was the only place I could come for the slightest degree of understanding and emotional support. I think that right along with a wealth of ideas about treatments, emotional support is another primary benefit to the board and I think it's critical to offer that to everyone. When you have PF, the world is a tough enough place without getting blasted here too. Anyway, congratulations on your decision to devise your own dietary changes. So much of what seems to work for people is trial and error, or trial and success. I hope by adding and eliminating you find some relief for your feet also, Nancy. If nothing else, it's tremendously empowering when you take the treatment plan into your own hands, and suddenly you start feeling even 25% better. Hope you get more than that.

Nancy S. on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014167)

Thanks for your input, Robin. I actually have already searched this board and the archives for low-carb info (the research I tend to avoid is the kind where you buy twelve different books and drive yourself crazy). There are so many inconsistencies in people's opinions and experiences on this that it's fairly mindboggling. Today I searched the Web in general and of course found the same thing to be true. So I'm thinking of experimenting instead of following any one strict diet (I think they'd have to lock me in a room and slide trays under the door to get me to be Totally anything). I'm writing up a plan tonight that I will follow for several weeks, and then add or subtract as I feel is called for. Question: In all of your posts on this subject, I haven't seen you mention dairy - I'm interested to know about cheese in particular. Have you eliminated it? Thanks also for the alcohol comments. I'm going to give up the wine as a daily thing for the foreseeable future, but will allow myself a glass on social occasions. Thanks again for responding. I notice from your past posts that you have been very generous to newcomers. But again, I would like to know what you do about dairy/cheese. Congratulations on your walks! It must feel Wonderful.
-- Nancy S.

Robin B. on 12/28/99 at 00:00 (014171)

Nancy, I eat dairy and have not noticed it to be a problem, although I think for many folks it IS a difficulty. I use skim milk and a reduced fat cheese, and I have an occasional yogurt too (when I want to splurge on carbohydrates). For me personally, I think the flour laden carbs were the worst -- I could probably live 95% on bread and pasta if left on my own, so it is hard to do without them. (I have perhaps one sandwich a week as my thrill -- some thrill.) On the other hand, I would eat nails if it would cure my PF.

I agree with your comments about the low carb issue on this board -- I got my patoot kicked in a couple of times for saying it wasn't helping me. But it wasn't at the time. Sometimes I have a problem when intolerance shows up here -- because I think PF is an extremely personalized condition and that there are many MANY shades of gray for each of us. What helps one person doesn't help another.

More than anything I get ticked off when people on the board become sarcastic, nasty, intolerant of different opinions, etc. For many many months, this was the only place I could come for the slightest degree of understanding and emotional support. I think that right along with a wealth of ideas about treatments, emotional support is another primary benefit to the board and I think it's critical to offer that to everyone. When you have PF, the world is a tough enough place without getting blasted here too. Anyway, congratulations on your decision to devise your own dietary changes. So much of what seems to work for people is trial and error, or trial and success. I hope by adding and eliminating you find some relief for your feet also, Nancy. If nothing else, it's tremendously empowering when you take the treatment plan into your own hands, and suddenly you start feeling even 25% better. Hope you get more than that.