Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

natural anti-inflammatories?

Posted by rekha.s on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014184)

I have been reading that natural anti-inflammatory medicines such as omega 3 fatty acid, bromelain, flax seed oil, ginger root, capsaican can help inflammation and control the pain. I am interested in trying some or all and want to know if people out there have had success with these and which one helps the most?

I can't take NSAID's due to stomach problems so I want to try natural remedies.

Re: natural anti-inflammatories?

Robin B. on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014187)

I use bromelain as a natural anti-inflammatory. I have posted all over this board about it. You may want to do a search and read some back posts. I have found it to be very helpful. I take 1800 gdus a day via 3 or 4 caps, between meals. It only took about 7 to 10 days to actually feel a difference with it, unlike glucosamine which they say takes two or three months.

Was on glucosamine sulfate for about 7 months and MSM for about 2. Got minor relief from the glucosamine and no additional relief from MSM, so I have discontinued both. A few people have also posted about positive results with pancreatin so you may want to research that one too.

alan k on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014194)

This may be an unanswerable question, but do you think the bromelain helps with your pf or your tts?

I think I have tts, but not sure. One week the doctor says no tts, definitely pf, depsite my insistence I might have tts. Two weeks later, definitely tts and definitely not pf.

I think the idea that one could have both is too complicated for his simple mind.

Anyway, if you could say anything sensible about my silly question that would be great, and also about how you know you have tts and pf, and what its been like and if anything has helped you in addition to the bromelain.

sorry to ask so much,

alan k

Robin B. on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014196)

Alan, I don't know about TTS. I know absolutely proof positive for sure that the bromelain helps with my PF. I wouldn't be without it. I carry it with me in my handbag all the time. I take it 3 times a day, sometimes 4. I'm dependent on it and I love it.

I saw (or rather felt) the results very dramatically and fairly soon after I started taking bromelain in July. I buy 300 caps for $20 from the Vitamin Shoppe (which you can link to through Scott's main document) which provides 2-day delivery, and I take it religiously now.

By the way, for a long time I wondered if I had TTS alone, TTS in concert with PF, or just a different case of PF. I do have many of the classic PF symptoms -- but I also have had symptoms not so classic. I have had occasional numbness throughout the metatarsal region; I have had some tingling, and a lot of overall aching, rather than centralized pain. Sometimes my symptoms matched the research I found on TTS, sometimes not.

For myself, I haven't chosen to cart myself around to too many doctors. I don't have astonishing faith in doctors, and when it comes to orthopedics and podiatry, I have less than usual. I don't find enough as a body of knowledge common to all practitioners that they can: 1)reasonably arrive at a diagnosis; 2) treat effectively. In fact, I often don't think their guess work is any more educated than my own. My own personal feeling is that for someone who thinks he has TTS as well as PF -- the most important thing to do is relieve the pain, not arrive at a diagnosis that can be universally agreed to.

Back in the days when I was literally hobbling (and considering crawling or wheel-chairing it) from the bedroom to the kitchen, I decided that my No. 1 mission was to relieve the pain ENOUGH via shoes and inserts that I could then look for other remedies to offer subsequent relief (without being in excruciating pain while doing it). It took me several months, lots of $$$$, many OTC inserts, lots of tears and many near-misses to finally arrive at Birkenstocks. They have helped me the most. They relieved the horrible pain enough that I could try other things. I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that finding enough minimal relief to get you through the day is critical to effectively directing and planning your own treatment. For me, the first step in achieving SOME degree of relief had to be through shoes, arch supports, inserts or the like. But I would support just about any approach from anyone that achieved an initial lessening of the daily agony.

After Birkenstocks, I tried many other approaches: Massage, icing, stretching, taping, foot exercises, warm water therapies. Not much made a difference. Then in July I decided I would try bromelain for 2 or 3 months. In less than two weeks, I saw a notable difference.

I know from past posts that you are involved dietarily in your own treatment. I too follow a modified and personalized low-carb diet that eliminates all flour and wheat products, and that has helped a ton also.

Anyway, all this is a long way of saying that it may not matter first and foremost that you find a diagnosis that seems to fit. It may matter most that you find some method to relieve your pain ENOUGH that you can go in search of other methods to relieve it even more.

Good luck to you. As as my orthopedic surgeon said to me -- don't you let anybody cut on those feet until it's absolutely positively necessary (and it's probably not).

john h on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014197)

took flax seed oil for 2 months (no help). if you use capascin make sure you get the NON BURNING type (ArthroFlex Plus). Tried several others with no help.

Marti C on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014206)

I have been taking the Pancreatin, for a couple of months now and I also started wearing Birkenstocks. I dont know which one helped more, because I started both about the same time.Whichever,it made a huge difference in my am pain and the length of time I can be up on my feet now.Oh, yes and alot praying!!!!Hope you feel better!!!

rekha.s on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014217)

just ordered bromelain 250mg from mothernature.com. Actually I got a great deal cuz first time customers get $20 off from 1st order (in case anyone is interested)

Robin B. on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014187)

I use bromelain as a natural anti-inflammatory. I have posted all over this board about it. You may want to do a search and read some back posts. I have found it to be very helpful. I take 1800 gdus a day via 3 or 4 caps, between meals. It only took about 7 to 10 days to actually feel a difference with it, unlike glucosamine which they say takes two or three months.

Was on glucosamine sulfate for about 7 months and MSM for about 2. Got minor relief from the glucosamine and no additional relief from MSM, so I have discontinued both. A few people have also posted about positive results with pancreatin so you may want to research that one too.

alan k on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014194)

This may be an unanswerable question, but do you think the bromelain helps with your pf or your tts?

I think I have tts, but not sure. One week the doctor says no tts, definitely pf, depsite my insistence I might have tts. Two weeks later, definitely tts and definitely not pf.

I think the idea that one could have both is too complicated for his simple mind.

Anyway, if you could say anything sensible about my silly question that would be great, and also about how you know you have tts and pf, and what its been like and if anything has helped you in addition to the bromelain.

sorry to ask so much,

alan k

Robin B. on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014196)

Alan, I don't know about TTS. I know absolutely proof positive for sure that the bromelain helps with my PF. I wouldn't be without it. I carry it with me in my handbag all the time. I take it 3 times a day, sometimes 4. I'm dependent on it and I love it.

I saw (or rather felt) the results very dramatically and fairly soon after I started taking bromelain in July. I buy 300 caps for $20 from the Vitamin Shoppe (which you can link to through Scott's main document) which provides 2-day delivery, and I take it religiously now.

By the way, for a long time I wondered if I had TTS alone, TTS in concert with PF, or just a different case of PF. I do have many of the classic PF symptoms -- but I also have had symptoms not so classic. I have had occasional numbness throughout the metatarsal region; I have had some tingling, and a lot of overall aching, rather than centralized pain. Sometimes my symptoms matched the research I found on TTS, sometimes not.

For myself, I haven't chosen to cart myself around to too many doctors. I don't have astonishing faith in doctors, and when it comes to orthopedics and podiatry, I have less than usual. I don't find enough as a body of knowledge common to all practitioners that they can: 1)reasonably arrive at a diagnosis; 2) treat effectively. In fact, I often don't think their guess work is any more educated than my own. My own personal feeling is that for someone who thinks he has TTS as well as PF -- the most important thing to do is relieve the pain, not arrive at a diagnosis that can be universally agreed to.

Back in the days when I was literally hobbling (and considering crawling or wheel-chairing it) from the bedroom to the kitchen, I decided that my No. 1 mission was to relieve the pain ENOUGH via shoes and inserts that I could then look for other remedies to offer subsequent relief (without being in excruciating pain while doing it). It took me several months, lots of $$$$, many OTC inserts, lots of tears and many near-misses to finally arrive at Birkenstocks. They have helped me the most. They relieved the horrible pain enough that I could try other things. I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that finding enough minimal relief to get you through the day is critical to effectively directing and planning your own treatment. For me, the first step in achieving SOME degree of relief had to be through shoes, arch supports, inserts or the like. But I would support just about any approach from anyone that achieved an initial lessening of the daily agony.

After Birkenstocks, I tried many other approaches: Massage, icing, stretching, taping, foot exercises, warm water therapies. Not much made a difference. Then in July I decided I would try bromelain for 2 or 3 months. In less than two weeks, I saw a notable difference.

I know from past posts that you are involved dietarily in your own treatment. I too follow a modified and personalized low-carb diet that eliminates all flour and wheat products, and that has helped a ton also.

Anyway, all this is a long way of saying that it may not matter first and foremost that you find a diagnosis that seems to fit. It may matter most that you find some method to relieve your pain ENOUGH that you can go in search of other methods to relieve it even more.

Good luck to you. As as my orthopedic surgeon said to me -- don't you let anybody cut on those feet until it's absolutely positively necessary (and it's probably not).

john h on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014197)

took flax seed oil for 2 months (no help). if you use capascin make sure you get the NON BURNING type (ArthroFlex Plus). Tried several others with no help.

Marti C on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014206)

I have been taking the Pancreatin, for a couple of months now and I also started wearing Birkenstocks. I dont know which one helped more, because I started both about the same time.Whichever,it made a huge difference in my am pain and the length of time I can be up on my feet now.Oh, yes and alot praying!!!!Hope you feel better!!!

rekha.s on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014217)

just ordered bromelain 250mg from mothernature.com. Actually I got a great deal cuz first time customers get $20 off from 1st order (in case anyone is interested)