Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Tammy, some questions/suggestions

Posted by Nancy S. on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014212)

Tammy, you're right not to go for the surgery, especially at this early date. It is risky, and as several people told me when I first posted here around Dec. 10 -- SURGERY IS A LAST RESORT. I can't answer to your ankle and knee pain, but I've had PF for 8 months, and have found this board and Scott's big document IMMENSELY helpful. Have you read Scott's document, and spent lots of time reading through this message board and old message archives? I can't believe your doctor simply put you in a cast and is now recommending surgery! (Or unfortunately maybe I can believe it -- my own podiatrist was (and I do mean past-tense) not a winner.) Can you be more specific about other things you and/or the doctor have tried? As you will see from reading through this site, there are many many conservative treatments that help or don't help depending on the individual -- but that deserve a try. For example, have you tried the night splint? custom orthotics? other kinds of shoe inserts? Birkenstocks (I find them wonderful--have made a BIG difference in my pain)? icing? massage? stretching? seeing a physical therapist? anti-inflammatories (especially natural ones such as Bromelain and pancreatin, which I haven't tried yet but have helped many others here)? If you have never been on complete rest from your CNA job, I would think that would be crucial -- that job has to be murder on one's feet. Please do read through this site thoroughly, and post again with any further questions you have. We will all try to help. You are not alone! Take care.
Nancy S.

Tammy M. on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014256)

Thanks Nancy. I've been a CNA for 7 years now..Just this last Feb. I was diagnosed with left ankle tendonitis. Seen a therapist, got some excersises, and orthodic inserts for both my shoes. Long about July my left heel started hurting really bad, but I ignored it for awhile, until the sharp, stabbing, shooting pains got to be too much. Was sent to a Orthopedic Dr. he thought the inserts were probably what caused the pain, and told me I had PF. I have most all the symptoms,
from getting up in the morning pain, etc...I wear the cast boot all day (which bothers my knee really bad, and also my tendonitis is acting up again) and I have a night splint. Do exercises, take ibuprofen, massages,etc..Ive seen him about 2 months now and he told me I have 3 options..quit my job,tough it out, or surgery. Im toughing it and looking for a new job. I think its way to soon for surgery, when other things could be tried first. Looking for another Dr. too. I was told I should never walk alot with the boot on as it could throw my back out, but hes got me working half time..and as a CNA Im on my feet pretty much my whole shift. I do have this as a Occupational Disease so Im glad for that...Hope this isnt too long..you asked...hahahaha Thanks Again...Tammy

Tammy M. on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014256)

Thanks Nancy. I've been a CNA for 7 years now..Just this last Feb. I was diagnosed with left ankle tendonitis. Seen a therapist, got some excersises, and orthodic inserts for both my shoes. Long about July my left heel started hurting really bad, but I ignored it for awhile, until the sharp, stabbing, shooting pains got to be too much. Was sent to a Orthopedic Dr. he thought the inserts were probably what caused the pain, and told me I had PF. I have most all the symptoms,
from getting up in the morning pain, etc...I wear the cast boot all day (which bothers my knee really bad, and also my tendonitis is acting up again) and I have a night splint. Do exercises, take ibuprofen, massages,etc..Ive seen him about 2 months now and he told me I have 3 options..quit my job,tough it out, or surgery. Im toughing it and looking for a new job. I think its way to soon for surgery, when other things could be tried first. Looking for another Dr. too. I was told I should never walk alot with the boot on as it could throw my back out, but hes got me working half time..and as a CNA Im on my feet pretty much my whole shift. I do have this as a Occupational Disease so Im glad for that...Hope this isnt too long..you asked...hahahaha Thanks Again...Tammy