Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Frankensteve

Posted by Steve L. on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014213)

Hi, Gang, I just got back from U.C. San Francisco Orthotics Lab.
They fixed me up with some new orthotics and custom built shoes.
They are Butt-ugly with two and one-half inch thick soles, steel
shanks running the length of them, and a 'rocker' type toe. God,
this is some fun disease, isn't it? The next trip out in a business
suit should be entertaining for the rest of the of the participants!
I think I'm less embarrassed by the wheelchair. Oh, well, whatever it takes, right?

Re: Frankensteve

Nancy S. on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014214)

Dear Frankensteve,
Tell those business colleagues that your shoes are the cutting-edge trend and THEY ARE MISSING THE BOAT! And be sure to show pity for them on your face.
Yes, Steve, whatever it takes -- more power to you.
Nancy S.
p.s. I didn't even know they can make custom shoes like that. What did they cost?

Elise M. on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014218)

Dear Steve,
Beauty (and comfort) is in the eye of the beholder. Think of it as a beauty statement, the same way our kids view having braces on their teeth. They'll think you're wealthy considering how much you had to pay for them. I went to the New Balance Factory yesterday to buy new running shoes myself. When the woman asked me what I had in mind, I told her I'd wear the box if it would make me walk without pain again, lol. Having not been one to get into the fashion trends all through my life and striving for comfort, I think they're beautiful if they afford you the comfortable, painfree life most of us are striving for. Best of luck with your brand new shoes and keep us informed if they help. Happy New Years to you and all.... El

Nancy S on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014226)

Hi Elise -- liked your willingness to wear the shoe box if it would help! Did you find new shoes? I guess I'm lucky because when it comes to 'fashion' I've always liked the layered, chunky, comfortable look -- the clunkier the shoes, the better I like them! Also, when it comes to before and after pictures -- you know, of houses or hair or other things about people -- I've always liked the BEFORE picture better! Been this way all my life, and it keeps me from any embarrassment over PF fashionwear. PF fashionwear, now there's a concept. Happy New Century!
Nancy S

Re: Frankensteve and new shoes

Elise M. on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014234)

Hi Nancy,
I bought a New Balance Running shoe yesterday. It's model 877 and it was very comfortable. They're allowing me to wear it in the house for the next 30 days to see how they perform. So far, this am I was painfree for the amount of time I wore them, then I had to go out shopping and left them behind in the house. The salesperson at New Balance, one woman in particular, was very compassionate and helpful and showed me at least 12 different pair of runners, walkers, you name it. She didn't get the least bit impatient with me and seemed committed to finding me a shoe that would help this condition. Hope you are feeling better. Keep in touch.... El.

Steve L on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014253)

Nancy, I paid $100 for the shoes, but my insurance picked up the modification costs(quite grudgingly, I might add). I don't know what
the lab charged for that or the orthotic inserts.

Nancy S. on 12/29/99 at 00:00 (014214)

Dear Frankensteve,
Tell those business colleagues that your shoes are the cutting-edge trend and THEY ARE MISSING THE BOAT! And be sure to show pity for them on your face.
Yes, Steve, whatever it takes -- more power to you.
Nancy S.
p.s. I didn't even know they can make custom shoes like that. What did they cost?

Elise M. on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014218)

Dear Steve,
Beauty (and comfort) is in the eye of the beholder. Think of it as a beauty statement, the same way our kids view having braces on their teeth. They'll think you're wealthy considering how much you had to pay for them. I went to the New Balance Factory yesterday to buy new running shoes myself. When the woman asked me what I had in mind, I told her I'd wear the box if it would make me walk without pain again, lol. Having not been one to get into the fashion trends all through my life and striving for comfort, I think they're beautiful if they afford you the comfortable, painfree life most of us are striving for. Best of luck with your brand new shoes and keep us informed if they help. Happy New Years to you and all.... El

Nancy S on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014226)

Hi Elise -- liked your willingness to wear the shoe box if it would help! Did you find new shoes? I guess I'm lucky because when it comes to 'fashion' I've always liked the layered, chunky, comfortable look -- the clunkier the shoes, the better I like them! Also, when it comes to before and after pictures -- you know, of houses or hair or other things about people -- I've always liked the BEFORE picture better! Been this way all my life, and it keeps me from any embarrassment over PF fashionwear. PF fashionwear, now there's a concept. Happy New Century!
Nancy S

Re: Frankensteve and new shoes

Elise M. on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014234)

Hi Nancy,
I bought a New Balance Running shoe yesterday. It's model 877 and it was very comfortable. They're allowing me to wear it in the house for the next 30 days to see how they perform. So far, this am I was painfree for the amount of time I wore them, then I had to go out shopping and left them behind in the house. The salesperson at New Balance, one woman in particular, was very compassionate and helpful and showed me at least 12 different pair of runners, walkers, you name it. She didn't get the least bit impatient with me and seemed committed to finding me a shoe that would help this condition. Hope you are feeling better. Keep in touch.... El.

Steve L on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014253)

Nancy, I paid $100 for the shoes, but my insurance picked up the modification costs(quite grudgingly, I might add). I don't know what
the lab charged for that or the orthotic inserts.