Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: surge of hope, etc.

Posted by Nancy S on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014236)

I too must have that surge of hope, because I feel I am employing almost no willpower at all -- suddenly I just don't want to eat those things. I must have a bit of the edginess you mentioned, because I snapped my best friend's head off this morning for no special reason (followed by a few hundred apologies on my part)! But the flip side is that I'm experiencing intense wakefulness -- totally different from how I've been since PF onset, which has included total and almost constant fatigue, sleepiness, exhaustion. I could sleep only 4 hours last night and tho I feel a little shaky, I feel very awake, which is very nice for a change. I do plan to go the strict route for two weeks, and then continue for a few months on quite restricted but slowly reintroducing some items (NOT sugar -- and not gluten, provided that I can get a definite idea of what foods contain gluten; do you know off the top of your head? I've never paid attention to this stuff). Thanks for your encouragement, Alan! Will keep you posted.
Nancy S

melody on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014238)

In the UK many stores will provide you with a list of Gluten free foods they sell. It may be worth asking around in the stores in the UK. Basically it is anything with wheat, oats(not very strong) barley and rye. Also modified starch is often wheat based and anything that has been thickened with ANYTHING!! Instant coffee is a killer!!

A lot of our foods are named differently here so you may find that starch in the US is mostly corn based....over here it is wheat based. I will try to find out my book on 'hidden gluten' and list the other names for it over here.

Mel

melody on 12/30/99 at 00:00 (014238)

In the UK many stores will provide you with a list of Gluten free foods they sell. It may be worth asking around in the stores in the UK. Basically it is anything with wheat, oats(not very strong) barley and rye. Also modified starch is often wheat based and anything that has been thickened with ANYTHING!! Instant coffee is a killer!!

A lot of our foods are named differently here so you may find that starch in the US is mostly corn based....over here it is wheat based. I will try to find out my book on 'hidden gluten' and list the other names for it over here.

Mel