Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs and birenstocks?

Posted by iris523 on 1/01/00 at 00:00 (014295)

I have pf in both feet with heel spurs in both heels. I tried on a pair of birenstocks and felt that they were too flat - that a raised heel was more comfortable. Is there anyone who has found that birkenstock shoes are wearable when one has bone spurs? I find wearing sneakers with my special inserts uncomfortable. Only wearing Dansko clogs which allow for my inserts make walking bearable. I am open to trying birkenstocks if anyone who has bone spurs has been successful with them. thank you for your reply.

Re: heel spurs and birenstocks?

Nancy S. on 1/01/00 at 00:00 (014298)

Hi Iris, I have PF with a heel spur in my left foot. After trying just a few other treatments, my podiatrist fitted me for custom orthotics. They were the first thing that helped, but not completely. I got them in Sept., and still had pain after only 2 hours or so on them. When I found this board on December 10, I immediately went out and spent 2 hours in the store trying on different styles of Birkenstocks. Many people here on this board like the Arizona style, but, like you, I found them too flat. I ended up getting the Boston style, which is a closed-toe shoe, and I find the heels a bit higher on them than in the other Birks I tried. I started wearing them immediately, mostly around the house (in fact I step out of them at bedside and step right into them out of bed in the morning). I noticed immediate improvement in my morning pain. For the first week or two they had to conform to my feet a bit, so at first they felt a little bit hard or something. But now, after three weeks, they feel absolutely terrific. In fact, I'm disappointed now if I'm going out somewhere and have to wear my orthotics in hiking shoes due to the cold, because I would rate the comfort of the Birks higher than that of the orthotics. Actually, I can't say enough about them -- they've made more difference than my podiatrist did in six months. There seems to be a bit more support for the heel in the Boston style -- and since we both have heel spurs, maybe this style would work for you too. I hope so. Good luck! -- Nancy S.
P.S. Good fit is important. Make sure your foot doesn't feel wobbly in them. Your heel should fit right against the ridge of the back of the heel on the shoe. If they're too loose, they won't give your feet the stability you need. There are many comments about Birks on this board, and you can find past ones using the Search at the top of the message board. Try Birks and Birkenstocks if you want general info.; if you'd like to see more about Boston style, search for Boston. (You'll get a few messages that mention Boston the city! But keep going -- I did that search and found a good number of messages about this style (most of them positive).

Robin B. on 1/01/00 at 00:00 (014299)

Count me in on this. I have bilateral PF and heel spurs in both feet. I have been on this board for well over a year, and am one of the Birkenstock lovers who posts regularly singing their praises. I have 8 pairs, and that's all I wear.

For me personally, the lower the heel and the higher the arch support -- the better. But then, it appears that my case of PF is not related to unusual constriction or tightness -- but rather a fascia that is so stretched out it's almost like a dead elastic band. So, the more I can do to support it and prevent any further stretching, the better I feel. In fact, I just posted about being able to start walking a little again.

Lots of people on this board cannot wear Birks and don't care for them at all. Dansko clogs have gotten lots of favorable response. If that's what works for you -- wear them. I'm a big believer that the number one step in attacking PF is to find shoes that at least make day-to-day living and ordinary activities bearable. Until you can relieve that excruciating pain enough to carry on semi-normally, everything is doubly difficult. There are lots of archived messages about clogs that show very good results -- both Danskos and a couple of other brands. Probably it's a matter of finding the particular brand that accommodates your inserts AND gives you the support you need for moderate relief.

Nancy S. on 1/01/00 at 00:00 (014298)

Hi Iris, I have PF with a heel spur in my left foot. After trying just a few other treatments, my podiatrist fitted me for custom orthotics. They were the first thing that helped, but not completely. I got them in Sept., and still had pain after only 2 hours or so on them. When I found this board on December 10, I immediately went out and spent 2 hours in the store trying on different styles of Birkenstocks. Many people here on this board like the Arizona style, but, like you, I found them too flat. I ended up getting the Boston style, which is a closed-toe shoe, and I find the heels a bit higher on them than in the other Birks I tried. I started wearing them immediately, mostly around the house (in fact I step out of them at bedside and step right into them out of bed in the morning). I noticed immediate improvement in my morning pain. For the first week or two they had to conform to my feet a bit, so at first they felt a little bit hard or something. But now, after three weeks, they feel absolutely terrific. In fact, I'm disappointed now if I'm going out somewhere and have to wear my orthotics in hiking shoes due to the cold, because I would rate the comfort of the Birks higher than that of the orthotics. Actually, I can't say enough about them -- they've made more difference than my podiatrist did in six months. There seems to be a bit more support for the heel in the Boston style -- and since we both have heel spurs, maybe this style would work for you too. I hope so. Good luck! -- Nancy S.
P.S. Good fit is important. Make sure your foot doesn't feel wobbly in them. Your heel should fit right against the ridge of the back of the heel on the shoe. If they're too loose, they won't give your feet the stability you need. There are many comments about Birks on this board, and you can find past ones using the Search at the top of the message board. Try Birks and Birkenstocks if you want general info.; if you'd like to see more about Boston style, search for Boston. (You'll get a few messages that mention Boston the city! But keep going -- I did that search and found a good number of messages about this style (most of them positive).

Robin B. on 1/01/00 at 00:00 (014299)

Count me in on this. I have bilateral PF and heel spurs in both feet. I have been on this board for well over a year, and am one of the Birkenstock lovers who posts regularly singing their praises. I have 8 pairs, and that's all I wear.

For me personally, the lower the heel and the higher the arch support -- the better. But then, it appears that my case of PF is not related to unusual constriction or tightness -- but rather a fascia that is so stretched out it's almost like a dead elastic band. So, the more I can do to support it and prevent any further stretching, the better I feel. In fact, I just posted about being able to start walking a little again.

Lots of people on this board cannot wear Birks and don't care for them at all. Dansko clogs have gotten lots of favorable response. If that's what works for you -- wear them. I'm a big believer that the number one step in attacking PF is to find shoes that at least make day-to-day living and ordinary activities bearable. Until you can relieve that excruciating pain enough to carry on semi-normally, everything is doubly difficult. There are lots of archived messages about clogs that show very good results -- both Danskos and a couple of other brands. Probably it's a matter of finding the particular brand that accommodates your inserts AND gives you the support you need for moderate relief.