Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

one week with Pilates performer

Posted by alan k on 1/02/00 at 00:00 (014317)

I have been using the pilates performer (or the premier actually, which is the same thing) for a week and have two things to report.

One, this is an absoulutely amazing machine and anyone who can dish out the $300-375 dollars should get it. It is made for us. It's fun to use, and you can do so much wonderful exersize without any weight on your feet! I love it to death. It feels like yoga but without the weight bearing. But, it's more strength than stretching.
The best thing is great, painless exersize where most of the time you are lying down! The thought of exersize then is one like 'maybe I should go lie down over there.' Not a great threshold to cross.

Two, this was recommended by a pf poster who was healed by it (do a search), and healed her husband and freinds too. Part of the workout is many wonderful different strengthening/stretching exersizes for the feet (while lying on your back). You can adjust the resistance so that you are not subject to your body weight as resistance in, say, stair stretching (which is like some of the exersizes, but is only one-dimensional). I imagine that the pilates recommender was not exagerating. For people who are partly recovered I think it's worth looking into. She recommended it for new sufferers, and I would think it might possibly work if eased into gently and watching carefully for damage. There are many doctors who believe atrophy is a big problem in pf healing, and a cause in some cases. The pilates has got to help with that.

Unfortunately, I have tts, and after one week I have developed distinct tingling in my feet. My experiment with exersize bikes and with the foot workout on the pilates is now officially over. Wendy's and others' cautions seem right in my case. Unfortunately, I am the wrong person to test this equipment for pf. The original recommender will be disappointed, and I hope someone else can come up with the money to give this a try (return policies are good for that!)

I really think this could help someone with pf.

The fact that I can't do the footwork is all the more reason I have to love this machine even more, because it is now (minus the many varied foot exersizes) the one thing I can cling to for an over-all body workout which I need for my sanity and also for healing and bloodflow.

I saw the performer on qvc last night for $364, + $21 shipping. They said it is on their website at qvc.com (i think that's the address). I'm sure they have pictures and more fanfare on the site to explain it.
I got it on auction (it had a set price) at egghead.com by doing a search 'pilates' on their website. It was not in the health section but in computers, for some reason. I got the premier (more attractive, wood accented version) with free shipping (ups ground took a week) for $300 flat, which seems like the best price out there, even for premier.

alan k

Re: one week with Pilates performer/ Questions alan

Marti C on 1/02/00 at 00:00 (014326)

Hi Alan,
Thanks for sharing about the pilates. Ive been thinking about this for exercise too! I also have TTS, I couldnt quite tell from your post if your going to continue to use the machine.
You, said your feet started tingling, so are you going to stop altogether or just not use your feet?
Im just curious,Ive experianced the same problem every time I start to excercise. The tingling and numbness usually set in.
Do you think this machine is good only for toning or do you get your heart rate up also?
Thanks, Marti

Re: one week with Pilates performer

Debbie M on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014338)

Thankyou for giving this a try Alan. I am so sorry it doesnt help tts. I am glad to know as a friend was just diagnosed with tts and I was going to lend my Pilates. I am still convinced it will help pf people and hope someone will lissten to you and give a try. I was a 6 month pf when I started Pilates while the other two were acute but I agree everyone should ease into it. I am glad you enjoy the machine, after a couple of years it is the only piece of equipment i use regularly. The bike, treadmill and rowing machine just gather dust even though I no longer have pf. Happy New Year and thanks again.

Re: one week with Pilates performer/Debbie?????

Marti C on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014340)

Hi, Debbie,
Did it help you in others ways aside from the pf?Do you do any other type of exercise? Thanks Marti

alan k on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014341)

I am definitely going to continue using, only not dong the foot exersizes.

My tingling feet increased a little everyday, and after one week I stopped. I am inclined to not necessarily listen to the pain, since rest had helped but not cured me by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe toning up the foot could help. But, with the tingling I chickened out and don't want to experiment any further, since there are many people on the board who have already accidentally tried that experiment.

I am not necessarily saying that tingling means one should stop a particular exersize-- what do I know?-- but simply that considering what others have said I choose to follow them at this time.

The machine is great for toning, but doesn't get your heart going. You might try an exersize ball to bounce around on, but that would involve your feet. I haven't found an answer to cardio exersize yet at home, except for floor exersizes which I seem to have some kind of aversion to. One suggestion, if you are limber, is to strap (light!)ankle weights on, roll up on your shoulders with your feet in the air and hands supporting your back, and upside-down pretend bicycle. The position would have to be just right though to avoid injury to your back and neck and I'm not sure how to describe how to do it.

alan k

alan k on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014342)

the tts person still needs to keep fit, and there are very few things she can do, so the machine might be good for her. Also, maybe it won't make the tts worse. If she or you has a doctor or podiatrist who isn't ingorant as many are, they might be able to say whether the exersize is good or bad. But note that, in my expereince, the doc or pod will still give an answer with steady, confident eyes even if they don't know what they are talking about.

alan k

Debbie M on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014347)

I ordered my Pilates to do non weight bearing excercise since pf stopped me from running. I was thrilled when I realized it was helping my pf. But, even if it hadn't, I would have continued as it is a wonderful workout, sort of a cross between stretching and yoga. I use it daily even after 2 years. It is pleasant and relaxing, but you can tell it is really working your muscles. Those who have borrowed my machine want to buy their own. As Alan said it is not an aerobic workout, and the company suggests a physio ball to add that. I have been able to run again ( 4 km daily) since my pf went away. The other two Pilates success stories have also returned to running with no problems.I highly recommend the Pilates, and since the company has a 30 day return policy you will see very soon if it will help your pf and also your will know if the rest of the routine fits your lifestyle. I see it as the best equipment for the aging baby boomers as it tones and strenghens the muscles and makes the body function its best so we don't have to slow down. It is a great piece of equipment on its own, but the fact that 3 of us have had complete relief from pf makes it the best money I have ever spent. It is not magic, just stretching against controlled resistance and I believe it was the answer for me. I hope someone with typical pf will try. Good luck

Marti C on 1/02/00 at 00:00 (014326)

Hi Alan,
Thanks for sharing about the pilates. Ive been thinking about this for exercise too! I also have TTS, I couldnt quite tell from your post if your going to continue to use the machine.
You, said your feet started tingling, so are you going to stop altogether or just not use your feet?
Im just curious,Ive experianced the same problem every time I start to excercise. The tingling and numbness usually set in.
Do you think this machine is good only for toning or do you get your heart rate up also?
Thanks, Marti

Debbie M on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014338)

Thankyou for giving this a try Alan. I am so sorry it doesnt help tts. I am glad to know as a friend was just diagnosed with tts and I was going to lend my Pilates. I am still convinced it will help pf people and hope someone will lissten to you and give a try. I was a 6 month pf when I started Pilates while the other two were acute but I agree everyone should ease into it. I am glad you enjoy the machine, after a couple of years it is the only piece of equipment i use regularly. The bike, treadmill and rowing machine just gather dust even though I no longer have pf. Happy New Year and thanks again.

Marti C on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014340)

Hi, Debbie,
Did it help you in others ways aside from the pf?Do you do any other type of exercise? Thanks Marti

alan k on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014341)

I am definitely going to continue using, only not dong the foot exersizes.

My tingling feet increased a little everyday, and after one week I stopped. I am inclined to not necessarily listen to the pain, since rest had helped but not cured me by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe toning up the foot could help. But, with the tingling I chickened out and don't want to experiment any further, since there are many people on the board who have already accidentally tried that experiment.

I am not necessarily saying that tingling means one should stop a particular exersize-- what do I know?-- but simply that considering what others have said I choose to follow them at this time.

The machine is great for toning, but doesn't get your heart going. You might try an exersize ball to bounce around on, but that would involve your feet. I haven't found an answer to cardio exersize yet at home, except for floor exersizes which I seem to have some kind of aversion to. One suggestion, if you are limber, is to strap (light!)ankle weights on, roll up on your shoulders with your feet in the air and hands supporting your back, and upside-down pretend bicycle. The position would have to be just right though to avoid injury to your back and neck and I'm not sure how to describe how to do it.

alan k

alan k on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014342)

the tts person still needs to keep fit, and there are very few things she can do, so the machine might be good for her. Also, maybe it won't make the tts worse. If she or you has a doctor or podiatrist who isn't ingorant as many are, they might be able to say whether the exersize is good or bad. But note that, in my expereince, the doc or pod will still give an answer with steady, confident eyes even if they don't know what they are talking about.

alan k

Debbie M on 1/03/00 at 00:00 (014347)

I ordered my Pilates to do non weight bearing excercise since pf stopped me from running. I was thrilled when I realized it was helping my pf. But, even if it hadn't, I would have continued as it is a wonderful workout, sort of a cross between stretching and yoga. I use it daily even after 2 years. It is pleasant and relaxing, but you can tell it is really working your muscles. Those who have borrowed my machine want to buy their own. As Alan said it is not an aerobic workout, and the company suggests a physio ball to add that. I have been able to run again ( 4 km daily) since my pf went away. The other two Pilates success stories have also returned to running with no problems.I highly recommend the Pilates, and since the company has a 30 day return policy you will see very soon if it will help your pf and also your will know if the rest of the routine fits your lifestyle. I see it as the best equipment for the aging baby boomers as it tones and strenghens the muscles and makes the body function its best so we don't have to slow down. It is a great piece of equipment on its own, but the fact that 3 of us have had complete relief from pf makes it the best money I have ever spent. It is not magic, just stretching against controlled resistance and I believe it was the answer for me. I hope someone with typical pf will try. Good luck