Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Still trying to decipher and figure all this out.

Posted by Tammy H on 1/02/00 at 00:00 (014320)

Hi! I wrote awhile back explaining my PF. I have looked back on my history, my mother's history, my environment and my physical status and bacically diagnosed myself. My question is that since most of your postings seem to tell me that the doctors are diagnosing this all wrong why bother going? I mean I have so far diagnosed myself, found this great site, started stretching exercises and am now looking for the right pair of shoes. So, what else could a doctor do for me? Maybe I am being silly but if most of you had to go to several doctors etc. before finding out the problem do you really think I should. Also, has anyone found comfort with the extra cushion Keds?

Re: Still trying to decipher and figure all this out.

wendyn on 1/02/00 at 00:00 (014322)

Tammy, I can't recall what your specific situation is...but here's my two cents worth....

Doctors are still the only ones who can rule out other problems. Foot pain can be an indication of systemic illness and problems that involve a lot more than your feet.

In my case (and this coincides with all the research I'm doing) there are tests that should be done when someone is having unexplained foot pain (I never 'hurt' my foot or did anything to cause my pain).

Things like back injury, diabetes, thyroid problems, low vitamin B12, lupus, arthritis, MS - all can cause problems that may show up in the feet first.

Also, a doctor can order tests to see if you have a stress fracture, tumor etc that could contribute to your pain. There's no way you can self diagnose these problems, and they're too important to overlook. There would be little point in treating a foot with ice and stretching if the actual problem was something like lupus.

I haven't had a lot of help from the doctors - but at least I know for sure what I'm dealing with. If nothing else, they've been good at proving what it isn't.

Hope you can find a decent doctor that will work with you to help you get better.

Nancy S. on 1/02/00 at 00:00 (014330)

I would add to the other good posts another reason to find a good doctor: Most folks on this board are people who have somewhat unusually difficult cases that haven't responded well enough to usual doctor treatment (this includes me). But statistics show that the majority of people with PF recover within 6 months to a year using conservative treatments under a doctor's care. That means that you have a better-than-average chance to get helped by a good doctor. My advice is, Go for that first. We here are in the minority. Good luck to you! -- Nancy S.

wendyn on 1/02/00 at 00:00 (014322)

Tammy, I can't recall what your specific situation is...but here's my two cents worth....

Doctors are still the only ones who can rule out other problems. Foot pain can be an indication of systemic illness and problems that involve a lot more than your feet.

In my case (and this coincides with all the research I'm doing) there are tests that should be done when someone is having unexplained foot pain (I never 'hurt' my foot or did anything to cause my pain).

Things like back injury, diabetes, thyroid problems, low vitamin B12, lupus, arthritis, MS - all can cause problems that may show up in the feet first.

Also, a doctor can order tests to see if you have a stress fracture, tumor etc that could contribute to your pain. There's no way you can self diagnose these problems, and they're too important to overlook. There would be little point in treating a foot with ice and stretching if the actual problem was something like lupus.

I haven't had a lot of help from the doctors - but at least I know for sure what I'm dealing with. If nothing else, they've been good at proving what it isn't.

Hope you can find a decent doctor that will work with you to help you get better.

Nancy S. on 1/02/00 at 00:00 (014330)

I would add to the other good posts another reason to find a good doctor: Most folks on this board are people who have somewhat unusually difficult cases that haven't responded well enough to usual doctor treatment (this includes me). But statistics show that the majority of people with PF recover within 6 months to a year using conservative treatments under a doctor's care. That means that you have a better-than-average chance to get helped by a good doctor. My advice is, Go for that first. We here are in the minority. Good luck to you! -- Nancy S.