I have seen 2 docs, one a podiatrist and one an ortho surgeon. Both checked out the feet, the walk, the gait, X-rays -- and diagnosed PF, along with heel spurs. (Plus, I have textbook symptoms). I really didn't get much beyond a diagnosis from these guys -- but the truth is, I'm not overwhelmingly fond of doctors to begin with. Or maybe I am just too activated a patient for most doctors to deal favorably with.
At any rate, this is not an easy condition, and there are no quick fixes or ready-made cures. Many folks on this board have mitigating circumstances that subsequently affect their feet, how bad the PF gets, changing or different symptoms, etc. Very few people here are totally self-diagnosing. Many, however, are determining the course of their own treatment rather than depending on doctors and just blindly following their advice. There is a big difference. Also, this is not a place where people diagnose each other. We all suggest lots of approaches and things to try, but no one on this board is medically qualified to tell you that what you have is PF and not arthritis or vice versa. However, a doctor (using medical tests) can definitely tell you what you don't have -- and probably what you do have.
By the way, stretching is not a universal remedy or approach. There have been a handful of people on this board (and I am one) harmed by stretching. I stretching almost not at all, just the tiniest bit in the morning and then never again throughout the day. PF is an individual malady, and sometimes what works for 97% doesn't work for the remaining 3%. There is a lot of work involved in finding the right combination of things that will alleviate your pain.
I had to burst your bubble, but I would never recommend Keds with any amount of cushioning to anyone. They are dime store shoes and they are going to hurt you in the long run. At some level, your feet need support. Whether you opt for Mephistos or Birks or Dansko clogs or New Balance, you ARE going to need a proper shoe to contain and support your foot. Many of us got into this predicament by NOT wearing decent enough shoes to begin with. Hope you have tried some other stronger makes that feel okay for you. It's worth shopping around.